Sea of Thieves

Can you imagine if this game had Borderlands'esque talent trees?

Captain Pirate with skills based around buffing your crew, ship, navigating. Stealth Pirate, Sniper Pirate, Melee Pirate, etc.

Let me fish, let me go whaling, shit, let me play as a whale and sink other peoples boats. Give me Skeleton crew'd AI ships roaming around the world, or maybe a super rare one that spawns that requires everyone in the server to work together to kill it, and force them to fight over the loot afterwards. Reward people for PVP, reward people for searching, reward people for caring about your shallow fucking game world. I want to chop down trees for wood, fortify islands, etc.

The game has no depth, no incentive to keep playing outside of the great water and lighting.

How good is the Borderlands series in your opinion ?

"Shallow as a puddle of water." Damnit. Microsoft fucks up again with another Rare exclusive (pun intended).

Damn ripped a new one

Maybe I won't waste my free trial on this tripe.

Combat is the best part, but there is no benefit for PVP other than increasing your epeen by an inch each cannonball hit

I know you weren't asking me but I've played the first one through 3-4 times and the AI is so disappointing. After playing great FPS games years ago, it just gets on my nerves when the AI is that bad. Maybe it's time these gaming companies started sharing code, because they all start from scratch and don't even hit what I would consider to be a minimum baseline for AI. Loved the setting, loved the characters and random weapons, but the story was shit (with some fun dialogue admittedly) and I never cared about any of it while playing.

Combat is the best part, but there is no benefit for PVP other than increasing your epeen by an inch each cannonball hit
a whole inch for 1 cannonball hit?

BA7.gif

I know you weren't asking me but I've played the first one through 3-4 times and the AI is so disappointing. After playing great FPS games years ago, it just gets on my nerves when the AI is that bad. Maybe it's time these gaming companies started sharing code, because they all start from scratch and don't even hit what I would consider to be a minimum baseline for AI. Loved the setting, loved the characters and random weapons, but the story was shit (with some fun dialogue admittedly) and I never cared about any of it while playing.

Yea the AI in the first borderlands was pretty terrible.. second a little better not much though. Honestly, and maybe I'm in the minority but I quite enjoyed the story of Borderlands 1, and the desert setting. Borderlands 2 I found the story lame and couldn't get into the snow type of setting. Found it disappointing compared to the first.

Haven't had fun pirating online since PotC Online and half of my coworkers played.

Well, my daughter played the crap out of this with her friends all weekend and had a blast.

The group style play of screwing around seems perfect. They did some quests, but mostly had fun just doing silly stuff.

They don’t attack ships with cannons, they launch themselves with the cannons and board that way. It’s funny to watch.

If you’re expecting to play a rpg style game with progression, you’ll be disappointed. Which I’m sure most people are.

Also, I expect her and friends to tire of the game and go back to Ark... which is their normal go to game lately.

Last edited:
i can understand the critique that this game doesn't have a lot of content and should have more for a $60 game, but i'm having tons of fun and have been playing every night since it was released and still have a lot left to do. and although playing with friends is where the game really shines, i'm having fun playing solo as well.

i think this video is a good example of this game at its absolute best:

Well, my daughter played the crap out of this with her friends all weekend and had a blast.

I can have fun with my friends doing anything. I could have fun painting my house with friends. Anything you do with your friends is going to be fun because youre with your friends. You could play the most basic, shallow game with friends and it will still be fun.

I can have fun with my friends doing anything. I could have fun painting my house with friends. Anything you do with your friends is going to be fun because youre with your friends. You could play the most basic, shallow game with friends and it will still be fun.
that's definitely true to an extent, but surely you've been playing a game with friends, or watching a movie or tv show or painting a house, and have everyone agree that it sucks and switch to something else.

i think it's really a matter of focus. you can have fun painting the house with friends, but your focus in that case isn't on the painting but on the conversation and whatever. the same goes for playing a shallow game, or watching a bad movie. your focus is less on the activity and more on the group you're with, and that's not the experience i've been having playing sea of thieves.

Yea the AI in the first borderlands was pretty terrible.. second a little better not much though. Honestly, and maybe I'm in the minority but I quite enjoyed the story of Borderlands 1, and the desert setting. Borderlands 2 I found the story lame and couldn't get into the snow type of setting. Found it disappointing compared to the first.

I don't think you are in the minority.

loved the first one... more than the 2nd game. I know a lot of other gamers who said the same things. the story, ambience, jokes were just better in the first game. seemed forced in the 2nd.

both games were still fun. I enjoyed them more as a single player as opposed to multi for some reason. I dunno. seemed too easy with a team but that's just me. not that the first person wasn't easy but multi became a joke I guess...

I don't think you are in the minority.

loved the first one... more than the 2nd game. I know a lot of other gamers who said the same things. the story, ambience, jokes were just better in the first game. seemed forced in the 2nd.

both games were still fun. I enjoyed them more as a single player as opposed to multi for some reason. I dunno. seemed too easy with a team but that's just me. not that the first person wasn't easy but multi became a joke I guess...

I played the first one with a friend.. also beat it alone. Found the 2nd one just alot harder to get into than the first one both great games though no doubt about it. I never really played with more than one person but found the first game very enjoyable to play through with someone else.

Also not sure If I remember correctly but did they do away with the skill tree in number 2? Or was it weapon proficiency?? I found number 2 to feel less rewarding than the first game

I played the first one with a friend.. also beat it alone. Found the 2nd one just alot harder to get into than the first one both great games though no doubt about it. I never really played with more than one person but found the first game very enjoyable to play through with someone else.

Also not sure If I remember correctly but did they do away with the skill tree in number 2? Or was it weapon proficiency?? I found number 2 to feel less rewarding than the first game

you're making me think too hard now. I don't recall lol. pretty sure there was a skill tree but it was lackluster from what I remember...

i will agree on the rewards. i vaguely remember finding weapons in the first game that felt really OP. In the 2nd game not so much. None of them felt special or endearing/memorable to me...

you're making me think too hard now. I don't recall lol. pretty sure there was a skill tree but it was lackluster from what I remember...

i will agree on the rewards. i vaguely remember finding weapons in the first game that felt really OP. In the 2nd game not so much. None of them felt special or endearing/memorable to me...

Yes! I felt that big time about weapons. Everytime I got something in the first borderlands I wanted to use it and see what it could do, the second one not so much.. you play the pre sequel? If so how is it? I have it for ps4 if it is any good I might try it out don't think I'll be buying any games anyway until RDR maybe Shadow of the Colossus if it goes on sale on the PS store.

Yes! I felt that big time about weapons. Everytime I got something in the first borderlands I wanted to use it and see what it could do, the second one not so much.. you play the pre sequel? If so how is it? I have it for ps4 if it is any good I might try it out don't think I'll be buying any games anyway until RDR maybe Shadow of the Colossus if it goes on sale on the PS store.

The one where they’re on the moon? Don’t bother IMO. Didn’t like it at all.

They are my all time favorite console games.

Blands 1 is the best and is my favorite video game, I clocked probably 700 hours into that game with 4 different characters, it is hilarious and the characters are awesome. They are so good in fact that they were implemented into the 2nd game as well as AI. The weapon rarity made the game so good, finding an extremely rare weapon was such a good feeling.

2nd one had improved game mechanics and graphics, but I didn't like it quite as much as the first. I still put about 500ish hours into it. The game is very smooth compared to the first. It is still in my top 5 console games.

Don't bother with the 3rd one, the pre-sequel, unless you beat the first two and really enjoyed them then the 3rd is worth one play through at least but it's not on the same level as the first two.

I agree with the people who said the AI sucked but really the game is more about killing a ton of enemies rather than really hard enemies. Between the skill tree and finding rare weapons, the comedy aspect of the game, and the unique graphics and awesome bosses this series is absolutely amazing. It is just as fun solo as it is with friends also.

I highly recommend it, first one you can get for relatively cheap and play it with the backwards compatibility and then the 2nd is probably 20ish dollars now. You will not regret it.

Blands 1 is the best and is my favorite video game, I clocked probably 700 hours into that game with 4 different characters, it is hilarious and the characters are awesome. They are so good in fact that they were implemented into the 2nd game as well as AI. The weapon rarity made the game so good, finding an extremely rare weapon was such a good feeling.

2nd one had improved game mechanics and graphics, but I didn't like it quite as much as the first. I still put about 500ish hours into it. The game is very smooth compared to the first. It is still in my top 5 console games.

Don't bother with the 3rd one, the pre-sequel, unless you beat the first two and really enjoyed them then the 3rd is worth one play through at least but it's not on the same level as the first two.

I agree with the people who said the AI sucked but really the game is more about killing a ton of enemies rather than really hard enemies. Between the skill tree and finding rare weapons, the comedy aspect of the game, and the unique graphics and awesome bosses this series is absolutely amazing. It is just as fun solo as it is with friends also.

I highly recommend it, first one you can get for relatively cheap and play it with the backwards compatibility and then the 2nd is probably 20ish dollars now. You will not regret it.

Can't wait for BL3.

Replaying Red Faction Guerrilla right now.
Can also recommend that.

i can understand the critique that this game doesn't have a lot of content and should have more for a $60 game, but i'm having tons of fun and have been playing every night since it was released and still have a lot left to do. and although playing with friends is where the game really shines, i'm having fun playing solo as well.

i think this video is a good example of this game at its absolute best:

I watched the video. Those guys were having a blast, LOL. I love how the other team was so disorganized they didn't even recognize the yellow/green name shift with a Trojan running willy-nilly all around inside their stronghold.

Back