Scooter and bike invasion. Have you seen this? Have you heard about this?

In Denver they are becoming popular. Works well here.

Awesome way to get home when your drunk.

My buddy nearly got a dui while riding his bike home from the bar in college. Ended up with public intoxication charge but he had to go to court to get it reduced from a dui as apparently non motorized vehicles count

My guess is my buddy is leaving out the part of the story he acted like a smug prick (often does once he gets hammered) and tried to act all smart telling the cop "You can't do anything to me because I have a bike. I beat the system"

Fair point to cop, cop said he was swerving all over the place and not staying on the shoulder and was getting into traffic and cars were having to avoid him

My buddy nearly got a dui while riding his bike home from the bar in college. Ended up with public intoxication charge but he had to go to court to get it reduced from a dui as apparently non motorized vehicles count

My guess is my buddy is leaving out the part of the story he acted like a smug prick (often does once he gets hammered) and tried to act all smart telling the cop "You can't do anything to me because I have a bike. I beat the system"

Fair point to cop, cop said he was swerving all over the place and not staying on the shoulder and was getting into traffic and cars were having to avoid him

I moastly just meant in china. They don’t do the bike dwi thing there.

So anyone can just use them?free or cost? What prevents theft?

There is a lock over the back wheel. You use your smart phone to unlock it via bar code. When you are done, you physically lock it back and your cc gets charged. Also each bike has a GPS on it.

The way it works is say I want to ride to work. I use the app to locate the nearest bike. Hey look, there is one right there in those bushes. I take the bike out of the bushes, unlock it using my phone and I'm off. Let's say I'm tired after 10 minutes of riding. I hop off the bike, lock it, leave it laying on the sidewalk..and I'm done

Last edited:
These thing are becoming all the rage and all the nuisance in some parts of Los Angeles. These fucking things are all over the place in Venice, with people just leaving them on the sidewalk in front of houses to in the middle of parking lots. We just had our first fatality when some chick got hit by a car by one, which doesn't surprise me. You constantly see these dipshits taking these fucking 20mph scooters with no protection and getting on 4 lane streets where the speed limit is 45 mph. Just a tool for many darwin awards from tech bro's.

The scooters are what piss me off. Hardly anyone is using the bikes anymore. I saw a group of 10 friends all on scooters the other day, clogging the sidewalk. At least the bikes are more controllable steering and breaking wise. It's to the point where you literally have to look both ways when walking out of a store

burning man has a similar thing, free bikes everywhere at the event but you arent allowed to take them home with you.

There is a lock over the back wheel. You use your smart phone to unlock it via bar code. When you are done, you physically lock it back and your cc gets charged. Also each bike has a GPS on it.

The way it works is say I want to ride to work. I use the app to locate the nearest bike. Hey look, there is one right there in those bushes. I take the bike out of the bushes, unlock it using my phone and I'm off. Let's say I'm tired after 10 minutes of riding. I hop off the bike, lock it, leave it laying on the sidewalk..and I'm done
I’m surprised the city doesn’t just impound them for being littered around or people don’t steal them, disconnect the gps, sell them etc.....

I figured they were mostly to cater to all our tourists/backpackers. I can't understand anyone that lives here using one instead of just buying the bike they want.
Except here in DC it's not at all safe to ride these bikes and they're potential security threats. (This is a DC thing) plus in DC there tons of tours and ways to get around that are way better than renting a crappy bike.

Need I say in Baltimore near where I work the program has been a complete disaster. Ride around in Bmore with no locks on a bike is just asking to be jacked.

Also these bikes are so CRAPPY!! They must weigh a thousand pounds and are super inefficient compared to the average bike a customer would buy for themself.

I'm spoiled now and never leave the Pearl River Delta.

Traveling around China can be fun, but...

Hong Kong, Shenzhen, and if I have to for a competition or conference... Guangzhou, are the places to be.

Shanghai is... OK... for a week...

Beijing is... OK... to quickly visit for two or three days and then flee for five years...

I lived in Hangzhou for a while... great for a couple of years, and before the air turned to pea soup...

Sanya is fine, Kunming is fine, Lijiang, Xiamen, some other tourist spots are... OK...

That's the best I can say.

I don’t mean to be in your business, but what type of competitions?

Electric scooters? Idk, gray area of road rules i guess. I don't want them on the streets tho.
I don't even want them existing. They're classified as bicycles here and they are fucking everywhere, and a total hazard to everyone.

We have a bike share program as well, but it's run by the city and uses docking stations, works pretty well.

Back