Scooter and bike invasion. Have you seen this? Have you heard about this?

Yep, it was a good idea with smart intentions but young and stupid people are fucking it up by just leaving them everywhere.

We see them in Charlotte. The system seems to work ok, but there are few kinks to work out.

My only issue is how much they pay for road tax if they are using public streets.

Coming to a city near you.. thousands of dockless scooters and bikes. Proponents say they cut down on motorized transportation thus reducing pollution. Oppoents say they are basically litter. I live in San Diego and they are everywhere. My issue is that when you are done with bike/ scooter you just leave it wherever the hell. So they're behind trees, in trashcans, parking lots etc.

Your experiences? Discuss.
Sounds like a decent idea , if people put them away in designated spots.

None here by the Great Lakes. You couldn't use them in our freezing winters. And the way our towns are built, you really really need a 4 wheeled vehicle.

I would assume they don't want to pay or can't afford to pay the the real estate of docking stations.

Concept wise... sure why not..
just don't leave a mess, be a good neighbor.

We've had free bike hire here for a while. They started with the dockless/stationless version called ofo last year. It's a little odd just seeing bikes on their kickstands out the front of the Zoo, in the botanic gardens etc, and I can't say I've ever actually noticed anyone riding one, but supposedly it's popular. It was just in the inner city to start with, but apparently it's moving out into the suburbs as well.

Edit: I don't think we have that many of them though, I've never seen more than two parked at any location. Certainly not enough to be an eyesore.

We've had free bike hire here for a while. They started with the dockless/stationless version called ofo last year. It's a little odd just seeing bikes on their kickstands out the front of the Zoo, in the botanic gardens etc, and I can't say I've ever actually noticed anyone riding one, but supposedly it's popular. It was just in the inner city to start with, but apparently it's moving out into the suburbs as well.
Across the pond, they are nothing more than "feel good", vote buying for local city councilors. Not saying they don't have their place, but the cost vs roi is mind boggling.

Seattle is full of them, basically every corner looks like this:

180202155751-dallas-bikeshare-780x439.jpg

IMG_9003-630x473.jpg

lots of these bikes are electric as well, which is pretty cool. But there are far too many of them.
So anyone can just use them?free or cost? What prevents theft?

In China they had bicycles, it’s really cool, you get the app, pay and then scan the QR code on the bike and it unlocks.

The app lets you find where bikes are even when they are left in random places.

That's how it is here in Seattle, and I must say...it fucking ROCKS.

Oddly enough, that showed up on my YouTube feed. Actually, not that odd, those fuckers know I'm into cycling.

Such a dumb idea.

China has this and they literally have mountains of useless bikes laying around

Bikes are cheap, dirt cheap and most people can get a free one just by asking their social media if they have a bike they want to get rid of. You can buy a used one for a few bucks.

Why rent one? Unless you want to just dump it on the city, which is fucked up.

These thing are becoming all the rage and all the nuisance in some parts of Los Angeles. These fucking things are all over the place in Venice, with people just leaving them on the sidewalk in front of houses to in the middle of parking lots. We just had our first fatality when some chick got hit by a car by one, which doesn't surprise me. You constantly see these dipshits taking these fucking 20mph scooters with no protection and getting on 4 lane streets where the speed limit is 45 mph. Just a tool for many darwin awards from tech bro's.

Coming to a city near you.. thousands of dockless scooters and bikes. Proponents say they cut down on motorized transportation thus reducing pollution. Oppoents say they are basically litter. I live in San Diego and they are everywhere. My issue is that when you are done with bike/ scooter you just leave it wherever the hell. So they're behind trees, in trashcans, parking lots etc.

Your experiences? Discuss.

Copenhagen has tried a few times with "city bikes".. The current iteration seems to work very well. You have to leave the bikes in special parking sets to get your deposit back, so they are not just lying around.. Each bike has a tablet with GPS and tourist info etc.
Our infrastructure is also much better suited for bikes and scooters in the city.

There is an HP (Hewlett Packard) place in the town i used to live in that employs like 3000 people. They provide free bikes for them to go from building to building. When my friend told me about this i said "so whats stopping people from just stealing the bikes and selling them on craigslist?" It looked like a light went on in his head..........

Such a dumb idea.

China has this and they literally have mountains of useless bikes laying around

Bikes are cheap, dirt cheap and most people can get a free one just by asking their social media if they have a bike they want to get rid of. You can buy a used one for a few bucks.

Why rent one? Unless you want to just dump it on the city, which is fucked up.

I figured they were mostly to cater to all our tourists/backpackers. I can't understand anyone that lives here using one instead of just buying the bike they want.

in sweden we have dedicated bike lanes everywhere and they ride them going 50mph like its fucking tour de france almost hitting pedestrians i just had a close the other day. fuck them.

These schemes cant really work with the shit tier elements that will vandalism/steal or create maximum havoc for the fun of it.

Back