scientists discover why men with older brothers are more likely to be gay

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
... and it's not because they pound each other behind the barn.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/study-finds-men-with-older-brothers-likely-to-be-gay/

In 1962, a team of researchers led by American-Canadian sexologist Ray Blanchard published a study that said the greater number of brothers a boy has, the more likely he is to be gay. This was called the fraternal birth order effect. Now, researchers believe they found the biological reason behind such a pattern and it is linked to a phenomenon that happens in the womb due to the Y chromosome, which women do not possess.

According to a study conducted by researchers at Brock University, Canada, and published in the journal PNAS on Monday, Y-linked protein gets into the bloodstream of some women when they are pregnant with a boy. As women do not have the Y chromosome, their bodies create antibodies. These get stored in the women’s bodies and when they become pregnant with another boy, the antibodies cross the placenta and enter the fetus’ brain.

"That may alter the functions in the brain, changing the direction of how the male fetus may later develop their sense of attraction," said Anthony Bogaert, the study's author and Canadian psychologist, who is a professor in psychology and community health sciences departments at Brock University, according to the CNN.

There are many factors that determine a person’s sexual orientation. Bogaert added, “I wouldn’t say we’ve solved the fraternal birth order effect puzzle, but we are getting close to finding a mechanism.”

The researchers analyzed plasma from mothers, half of whom had gay sons; women with no sons; and men in order to find antibodies for the protein NLGN4Y, which is found in men. This protein helps neurons communicate with each other. Bogaert and his team found the highest concentration of antibodies to NLGN4Y in women with gay younger sons with older brothers, compared with women who had no sons or only heterosexual sons. The women also had a higher concentration of the antibodies compared to the men who were analyzed.

“The results suggest an association between a maternal immune response to NLGN4Y and subsequent sexual orientation in male offspring,” the study said.

The study suggested the effect of these antibodies on the protein they target leads to changes in parts of the brain that have an influence on sexual orientation.

More info at the link.

And what about all the gay dudes with no older brothers? Dumb statistic is dumb.

But if you are a White transgender and transracial Filipino, were your siblings transfat?

tenor.gif

You mean western liberal scientist from Canada and USA. How do know this is not some push to inflate the alleged % of gays? I mean I agree gays natural occur but sometimes I see LGTB organizations claiming that like huge % of people are gay but the reality is that is not true.

Identify a trend
Study trend
Look for possible link to trend which may extend to others with this trait
People complain

what if.. your older brother is gay?

source.gif

But,

I've got two older brothers

:eek::eek:

That's neat. I bet once they figure it out completely they'll be able to create a treatment to prevent it from happening in the womb, just like we already do for other prenatal problems. The LGBT groups would hate that, they're so gung-ho on defending their "identity", which unsurprisingly considered the low prevalence (3%) is just a medical anomaly.

That's neat. I bet once they figure it out completely they'll be able to create a treatment to prevent it from happening in the womb, just like we already do for other prenatal problems. The LGBT groups would hate that, they're so gung-ho on defending their "identity", which unsurprisingly considered the low prevalence (3%) is just a medical anomaly.
I always wondered what hell would break loose when scientists figure out how to cure homosexuality. It's just a matter of time. Same with transgenderism, pedophilia, etc.

Then again, they could also make a treatment where someone is more likely to be gay or a pedophile.

The LGBT groups would hate that,

From the way the article reads its a working theory, not a fact. Something that would put into question the religious view on homosexuality as being a choice and the "potential cure" letting parents select the sexual orientation of their son.

The debate on this is going to be a shit show.

Nah its bullshit. I know a couple of gay dudes they each only have one brother. Stupid stat.

This story doesn’t mean much with a percent gay vs number of brothers chart to see if there’s even a correlation in the first place

Off the top of my head, two gay guys I knew in college were actually only children (fucked up homelifes) and the one I know at work I believe has one brother, maybe could have another that doesn’t live in town and hasn’t come up in idle chitchat

Again, my examples are anecdotal, but before giving us the reasons why you should show us it’s a thing in the first place

... and it's not because they pound each other behind the barn.

https://www.rawstory.com/2017/12/study-finds-men-with-older-brothers-likely-to-be-gay/

More info at the link.

That doesn't seem to make sense. That seems to suggest that there should have been more gay men in the 1920's than now.

I know people are more open about it today than in the past, but people had more kids in the past so the odds would have been greater to pop out 3-4 gay sons per family.

From the way the article reads its a working theory, not a fact. Something that would put into question the religious view on homosexuality as being a choice and the "potential cure" letting parents select the sexual orientation of their son.

The debate on this is going to be a shit show.

It's inevitable they'll figure it out eventually. The epi-genetics hypothesis is interesting too. Either way it's an anomaly caused in the womb.

A lot of people in this thread don't understand complexity as a function. First off, this is a working theory, not a scientific law. So it needs to be tested to see if it is verifiably true. Second, NO ONE IS SAYING THAT BIRTH ORDER IS THE ONLY FACTOR INVOLVED. The study is saying that it increases the probability of being gay. There are almost certainly a large amount of factors that go into determining a person's sexual preference. Societal acceptance, genetic hormonal/mental baselines, hormonal responses to external stimuli, shaping events during adolescence and young adulthood, and perhaps even things like diet could be other contributing factors. However, those factors would have to be studied individually in order to confirm or deny suspicions, and they would still be measures of probability, not certainty.

Back