Scientist calls for permanent monitoring of star, signal discovered by Russian sattelite 1year ago

Depends on the kind of Aliens : are they of the empathetic conscientious type or the type that celebrates survival of the fittest by any means necessary. Are they like the Aliens from The Abyss or Xenomorphs.

---

All the Aliens in the solar system are deliberately avoiding contact with us 'cause they know we are teh Florida of the solar system.

The bath salt planet

anigif_original-grid-image-15718-1413491389-10.gif

Let's be real for a minute: If there was ever a civilization that would be that big of dicks to another it would most likely be us.

That would actually be our world coming together for once. In the form of USA, Russia, China, Pakistan, India, Iran, Israel, and fucking North Korea all aiming their nukes at the next most advanced civilization.

I don't know mate we're the only species on the planet that has taken care of other species to the extent that we have. We're capable of great destruction, but we're also capable of great altruism unprecedented in the animal kingdom.

Everyone coming together would be unreal to see in our lifetimes though, and I think this is exactly the kind of situation that could create the conditions for that unification.

What they're trying to do with sea water is a very, very clean fusion. Germany has already invested billions in the technology. If successful it would essentially produce "free" energy.
Thorium reactors could have been great too.

They don't care, though. If it has the word "nuclear" in it, they hate it.

I bet if someone explained to them the sun is a huge nuclear fusion, they would start hating the sun and anything solar.

About a year ago some hippies was vandalizing a nuclear power plant construction site and when interviewed their leader said they "want to stop climate change"...

WTH does nuclear power have to do with climate change? It has no emissions.

The way I look at it, humanity can only hope colonize the stars if we master these three technologies:

- Quantum computing
- Nuclear fusion
- Nanotechnolgy

There is a school of thought that mankind with its flesh and bone bodies are unsuitable as an interstellar race. Complex life support systems must be constructed to sustain and mimic conditions on earth for us to continue our existence in outer space. In short, we can't go anywhere far without evolving into a race of cyborgs.

The way I look at it, humanity can only hope colonize the stars if we master these three technologies:

- Quantum computing
- Nuclear fusion
- Nanotechnolgy

There is a school of thought that mankind with its flesh and bone bodies are unsuitable as an interstellar race. Complex life support systems must be constructed to sustain and mimic conditions on earth for us to continue our existence in outer space. In short, we can't go anywhere far without evolving into a race of cyborgs.

About a year ago I did some research on simulating gravity in space like in Star Trek and man o man I was disappointed. Without gravity in space, the human body deteriorates very quickly. First it was muscle mass and although we learned how to curb that a little bit it's still a problem. You start to urinate calcium and lose bone mass immediately, and we have no idea how to stop that. Even if we did, there is the problem of deteriorating eye site.

The rotating donut idea apparently won't rectify these problems so that's out the window. So we're left with artificially creating gravity. So lets say for the sake of argument we could make gravitational fields, the earth is massive, the likelihood we could recreate the amount of gravity the earth has is very slim. We would need some obscene energy source to make it work.

So we would need the following.

#1 The ability to make gravitational fields.
#2 Something like Zero point energy
#3 Some kind of warp drive to close the distances.

I'm not convinced we'll get there this century.

I do wonder what sort of opinions an alien would hold about the human civilization. It may be that the humans would be seen as little more than a planetary cancer, from an outsider perspective.

why? this type of stuff is just you projecting your own views on humanity. if aliens encountered us and they arent use to encountering other aliens like us, theyd probably be fascinated by us. we'd be fascinated if we found a planet with aliens still throwing spears at eachother

Its hard to compare the Webb to anything we've ever made. Best description is the Hubble is a horse and buggy while the Webb is a Bugatti veyron.

WTH does nuclear power have to do with climate change? It has no emissions.
The only explanation for the lack of general adoption of nuclear power is the amount of money in politics coming from special interests, e.g. big oil. At this point there is very very little reason to fear certain types of nuclear power generation and it would be nearly carbon free.

About a year ago I did some research on simulating gravity in space like in Star Trek and man o man I was disappointed. Without gravity in space, the human body deteriorates very quickly. First it was muscle mass and although we learned how to curb that a little bit it's still a problem. You start to urinate calcium and lose bone mass immediately, and we have no idea how to stop that. Even if we did, there is the problem of deteriorating eye site.

The rotating donut idea apparently won't rectify these problems so that's out the window. So we're left with artificially creating gravity. So lets say for the sake of argument we could make gravitational fields, the earth is massive, the likelihood we could recreate the amount of gravity the earth has is very slim. We would need some obscene energy source to make it work.

How come the centrifugal force idea doesn't work?

I am always wondering if we ever met a more technical advantage civilization if we might still be able to destroy them.
Because they dont have the same relationship towards war and killing as we humans have. Our evolution sort of programmed us a certain way if a more advanced alien civilization had a different form of evolution. The thought of developing a nuclear bomb or any other form of bomb might not have occurred to them. They might not know the meaning of war because they never had to compete for resources.

Humans have no problem building weapons that if used will destroy pretty much everyone. As long as we develop some sweet space nukes I would say to other planets to bring it on.

Space exploration has slowed down considerably since the 1980's, when USSR basically stopped trying to compete with US. They were talking about a manned mission to Mars back even then, and three decades later we're still nowhere close. Realistically, I don't see a manned Mars mission or lunar base taking place until 2050's. Even now our focus is creating cheaper transportation to near-earth orbits rather than trying to go further. We're really just resting on existing comfort zones. Hopefully recent progress by the Chinese can light a fire under NASA's ass and get them moving in the right direction again.

My guess is that we'll develop manned transportation to travel within our solar system by the end of this century. You and I both won't live to see it, but our kids probably will. The task of going interstellar would have to fall on our great-grandchildren and beyond.

I am always wondering if we ever met a more technical advantage civilization if we might still be able to destroy them.
Because they dont have the same relationship towards war and killing as we humans have. Our evolution sort of programmed us a certain way if a more advanced alien civilization had a different form of evolution. The thought of developing a nuclear bomb or any other form of bomb might not have occurred to them. They might not know the meaning of war because they never had to compete for resources.

Humans have no problem building weapons that if used will destroy pretty much everyone. As long as we develop some sweet space nukes I would say to other planets to bring it on.
If an advanced alien race has the technology to master interstellar travel, that means they had long developed means to harness energy beyond our measuring scale. They would be hundreds to thousands of years ahead of us. The power of our nuclear weapons would be minuscule in comparison, and conflict with them would be laughably one-sided. It would be like a caveman clubbing a modern tank.

If an advanced alien race has the technology to master interstellar travel, that means they had long developed means to harness energy beyond our measuring scale. They would be hundreds to thousands of years ahead of us. The power of our nuclear weapons would be minuscule in comparison, and conflict with them would be laughably one-sided. It would be like a caveman clubbing a modern tank.

I think the idea is that somehow a bonobo people developed a highly advanced space faring civilization without competition or war, and has never encountered any threats internally or externally so doesn't have the concept of war/defense.

Extremely unlikely IMO.

But if they have never been in a war. They might not know the meaning of what a weapon is. I mean an animal doesn't know what a bat is until it has encountered one.
If Humans could develop some kind of nuclear bombs that are able to take out wholes planets that would be a solid weapon. But yeah its unlikely.

How come the centrifugal force idea doesn't work?

Because the calcium/bone loss and vision loss aren't solved by this method. I won't pretend to get into the science but I read that when I studied this a while back.

I remember something about we would need a really really big donut just to simulate the feeling of gravity, but again, they have no idea what's happening with our bones and eyes in space.

But if they have never been in a war. They might not know the meaning of what a weapon is. I mean an animal doesn't know what a bat is until it has encountered one.
If Humans could develop some kind of nuclear bombs that are able to take out wholes planets that would be a solid weapon. But yeah its unlikely.
Civilizations don't develop in perfect harmony. It takes constant competition for resources and power to grow. Expecting an advance alien race not to know anything about warfare is simply wishful thinking. If they arrived on earth, they probably seen more wars than humanity has in its short existence. You really think they would stand by and let us develop weapons that can wipe out planets before exterminating us?

It would be far easier for an interstellar race of aliens to conquer earth than the Spain to conquer the natives of South America.

Last edited:

a good point, but what good is obliterating a planet if you can't use it. i mean i guess if you were a species of dicks and just enjoyed destroying planets, then we'd be in trouble. but most likely, if an alien species came and attacked us, they'd want our planet for some kind of resource. in which case, our nuclear arsenal is a threat to that goal and they'd have to have some kind of strategy where they can stop us from a scorched earth type of situation.

because @snakedafunky actually has a good point, we have a lot of experience in war and combat as a species. although iirc from some crappy history channel special, the pentagon has plans if aliens invade, and it hinges on the premise that we will absolutely lose the fight due to technological disadvantage. but the plan is to create counter insurgency forces similar to that in iraq and afghanistan where we make it too difficult to manage the planet here.

whether or not that's real i dunno, hard to trust the history channel of all places any more. but from a logical standpoint, sounds like about the only strategy we'd have in that scenario.

Back