Schools

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by astrozician, Feb 20, 2018.

1. astrozician

astrozician Orion's Belt

I'd like to keep this free of any politics or bickering.

What's the solution to mass shootings in schools and so forth?
    I'm also curious what people's thoughts are concerning what the FBI should've done, given the FL shooter was on their radar. Is there an agreeable middle ground between protection and rights?

My opinion:
    The Gun Free Zones have to disappear. Consider that certain places of high vulnerability like airports are Gun Free, but at least there's a checkpoint and armed security; schools don't have that.

Interested in people's thoughts on this. Thanks.

2. Jonathan Mohr

Jonathan Mohr White Belt

I'm with you, gun free zones are a mass shooters wet dream, they should've figured this out after Columbine, all these years later and history keeps repeating, what a nightmarish tragedy.

We protect politicians, celebrities, banks, etc with armed guards, but leave our schools totally vulnerable. You gotta fight fire with fire!

Or at least put a doubt in someone's mind, that someone COULD be armed in the school, instead of enforcing the (gun free) slaughterhouse that our schools currently are. I don't think gun control with prevent this. Better back ground checks MAY help, but it's no guarantee. And a gun ban is just idiotic, history shows genocide after genocide once citizens are disarmed, without our own weapons we are just subjects to the rulers.

MadSquabbles500 and Fungoose like this.
  3. Jonathan Mohr

Jonathan Mohr White Belt

As far as the FBI, imo they failed and as a result we lost precious lives. No one's perfect, but to me, they had enough to prevent this one, and failed to act appropriately.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    astrozician likes this.
  4. Gregolian

Gregolian .45 ACP Platinum Member

That makes two of these sorts of shootings where the Feds dropped the fucking ball

astrozician and Cubo de Sangre like this.
  5. Protectandserve

Protectandserve Black Belt

SROs. They need to be there, anytime school is in session and students are on campus.

They need a balance of being a resource to the school and being able to flip the switch and take on a shooter. Means they need access to plates and a rifle as well.

I'm not a fan of counting on armed teachers. I don't know a single teacher who is for arming teachers. A recent survey I saw said less than a quarter are comfortable with arming teachers.

6. BADodd06

BADodd06 Orange Belt

My mother is a teacher down in Florida and under no circumstances is she packing anything to school other than her lunch.

Protectandserve likes this.
  7. Fungoose

Fungoose Kitty Whisperer

That would be a massive liability. So many ways that could turn ugly.

8. astrozician

astrozician Orion's Belt

I am also against arming teachers. People that DON'T want to carry SHOULDN'T. I think Resource Officers is a good thing and is probably the best start to this conversation.

I still believe those non-LE faculty that do want to, that want to assume the responsibility and legalities, should be able to. I don't buy the argument that a well-trained, well-disciplined civilian cannot respond effectively to a threat.

I'm not worried about the broad opinions of teachers. I'm more interested in safety than feelings.

catchwrestle likes this.
  9. Lord of Lies

Lord of Lies Brown Belt

We also need to look at the cause. When I went to high school (in the 80s), we didn't have any security/SRO's/metal detectors/etc. on campus. Why are kids now, in the last 15 to to 20 years, shooting up schools.

catchwrestle likes this.
  10. catchwrestle

catchwrestle Yellow Belt

Like TS said. Make them more like airports. Limited entry points, metal detectors, legitimate armed security (no need to force teachers to be their own security) I'm sure there are some private contractors that could do a great job. We should pay to protect what we love.

11. Chesten_Hesten

Chesten_Hesten The Wiener of Steel

Here's the School Shield report
    https://www.nationalschoolshield.or...-of-the-national-school-shield-task-force.pdf

Findings:

Recommendations:

12. FyrFytr998

FyrFytr998 Gemtor Belt

A781E2CE-52A4-440E-A523-CB5F8F22C77B.jpeg

Because you know....blaming the decay of societal values might hurt someone’s feelings.