Schedule review and questions -

E-samurai

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hey guys,

First off not sure if I should post this in the grappling section or here, so sorry if I'm not at the right place.

So first off, about me: 37 year old, pretty drastically out of shape, but been doing BJJ for 5 months now so much better.
Now that I've packed nearly all my free time into a training schedule, I was hoping to get some input on it, how realistic it is (I've been following it now for over 3 months, it's intense for me but my body is fine), and how aligned it is with my goals of 1/ getting good at BJJ and 2/ getting physically stronger AND more flexible.

Here goes:
Monday - rest
Tuesday evening - 1h of Muay Thai (read: cardio), 1h of BJJ fundamentals
Wednesday - rest
Thursday evening - 1h of HIIT type workouts (tough), 1h of BJJ fundamentals (super tough after the HIIT), 30 min of open mat when I can find the strenght
Friday - rest
Saturday morning - 1h of BJJ fundamentals, 30min of open mat (more if capable)
Sunday morning - 1h of BJJ fundamentals, 30min of open mat (more if capable)

TOTAL: 4h of BJJ fundamentals, around 1 to 1.5 hours of open mat, 2 hours of cardio.

On rest days I'd like to find the time/willpower to do like 45 minutes of BJJ solo drills + stretching, but I've yet to manage this. I need my sleep.
Also, I have nearly no additional time available, but can switch things around.

The questions I'm asking myself are:
- no strenght training. Wondering if I should remove Sat or Sunday for this. Does weight lifting once a week make any sense? If not, is the only option body weight exercises at home?
- no yoga / flexibility. Thinking the same: skip one BJJ session for this. Reason being I'm no spring chicken, I need to stretch etc. Oh and my BJJ classes put no emphasiz on stretching / warming down etc (damn young kids).

So do you guys recommend I stick to this schedule, or cut back one BJJ class for either strenght or yoga, Or even cut back 2 classes for both?

Thanks!

Back