Scaring away the new guys (kinda long) | Page 4

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Dogstarman, Apr 11, 2018.

1. jr jr Purple Belt

jr jr
    We use to have a guy with a striking background. He would always mumble "if i could just punch" when sparring. His takedowns and takedown defense was terrible. At one point I stopped while we were rolling and said "if you could strike I could strike too" from then on when I got dominant position I would pull my arm back and balled my fist like I was going to punch him. He stopped mumbling it and I never stopped pulling my arm back and balling my hand. He now lives in asia and still works out. I like the kid but if he comes back to town I will be balling my fist again....

2. cheachea Blue Belt

cheachea
  3. rmongler Brown Belt

rmongler

You must be at least this tall to get on the ride.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  4. maximus__ Blue Belt

maximus__
    Roll how the white belts roll. If they spaz tell them to chill and smash them until they gas. If someone rolls cruise with me I cruise with them.

New guy has started to catch me when I cruise with him so I’ll step it up and start using my smash game on him now. My a game is smashing passes and pressure so I don’t get to practice it too much on new guys.

5. Patrick Carey White Belt

Patrick Carey
    As soon as i read federal LE i instantly wondered if this guy was Rusty from my gym haha, brown belt and everything

Dogstarman likes this.
  6. noc Blue Belt

noc
    Damn too many assholes in Jiu Jitsu

White belts should spar just between them

7. CFGroup Green Belt

CFGroup
    Use to train with this guy who did that.....Made me come back and work harder and eventually constantly beat his ass mercilessly in good fun.

down side is I saw him do that to other potential long term prospects that had the physical ability, but not the mental toughness.

I always look at it this way, the new prospects ether need to be mentored and trained to eventually be good training partners, or given a ton of technical detail, a pat on the head and sent on their way to compensate for their physical inefficiencies. Ether way they are getting what they need to stay and I'm getting refreshers as to how I executed basic movements and strategy way back when.

Plus who the fuck relies on class time to get your rolls/randori in?

That's for open mat, comp prep time and from my experience the team works with who they want.

Who ever's instructing class makes the rules and as advanced belts it's a given we're representing the art to the public and low belts and trying to grow the school so we'll all have a(bigger/better) place to learn and train.

Foppa21 and beat...people...up? like this.
  8. jr jr Purple Belt

jr jr
    Two different threads you have posted about bjj guys being assholes.......
    Can you show me on the doll where he hurt you?

Seriously, where there are people there are assholes

9. adnatal Green Belt

adnatal
    He's never won a fight as an amateur but he's a pro boxer?

10. noc Blue Belt

noc
    The other one iirc was about sore losers basically and this one is about bullies
    Im surprised because some people say Jiu Jitsu people is very humble and friendly because they spar and loss in every training or something like that

beat...people...up? likes this.
  11. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    There are assholes everywhere. Just try to avoid them.

Train with like minded individuals

12. Foppa21 Brown Belt

Foppa21
    There has to be a element of rolling in classes. Some students (myself included) rely on it because we can't get in any other time. Given that, unfortunately I've got to get my learnings, drilling and some rolling in in the 90-120 minutes I have set aside of BJJ. Big long warm ups for cardio building on the other hand, I could do without.

Class time is for learning.

CFGroup likes this.
  13. Woldog Boxer

Woldog

Yep you read that correctly, He had 5 amateur MMA fights, he won his first one by armbar and lost the rest in the first round. He had 3 amateur boxing matches and lost all three and has gone on to now have had 7 pro fights and lost all 7.
    Boxing is a sport you can go pro without any amateur record especially in Australia.

adnatal likes this.
  14. DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

DanaWhitesButler
    LOL and what if he boxes or kickboxes and knocked you out instead? What if everyone else in the academy beat the fuck out of you. You sound like a genius

Dogstarman likes this.
  15. DanaWhitesButler Brown Belt

DanaWhitesButler
    Midlife crisis blue belt here. If a new white belt tries to hurt me and won't chill out after multiple warnings, I will tap them with top pressure over and over with no remorse

cheachea likes this.
  16. cheachea Blue Belt

cheachea

I get it. I'm referring to someone who hasn't done those things and has been respectful but is still aloud to be smashed for no reason.

DanaWhitesButler likes this.
  17. MyTopGameSucks White Belt

MyTopGameSucks
    Gym separates white/ blue belts from higher level belts and competitors

White belts- ONLY attend fundamentals practices

Purple and above (competition oriented blues as well)- can attend any practice , but also have specific advanced/comp. practices.

Every once in awhile i check out the fundamentals, when rolling with beginners i take it pretty easy and just work on escapes/guard retention/guard recovery.

*unless coach gives the heads up-
    "_____ goes very hard"
    *translation- gas him out
    "_____ was a hs wrestling champ "
    *translation- pull guard and sweep him over...and....over
    "______ seems to only wanna roll with the lil guys"
    *translation- you're a little guy and i want you to sub him multiple times, be as rough as you want
    "_____ is very strong "
    *translation- show 'em the difference between strength and technique

18. CFGroup Green Belt

CFGroup
    Yeah man I get it, class can be a crap shoot in terms of who you get to roll with during class. There's always a pecking order as to who likes to train with who which works most of the time. My schedule was setup open all evening so I'd get pounded after class.

Every instructor has their own warmup conditioning regiment. Sometimes I want to get right to it, but there's also the long term development gained from good cardio and stretching. Depends on your preferences.

Wed and Sat with the chief instructor would always be higher belts pairing up with new guys. I use to be miffed about it and just wanted to train like hell, but then realized he was grooming us to have patience and learn how to teach. It also helped me go back and re discover the drills and pointers in my development that really stuck with me cause they worked.