SBBC: Your Perfect Snow Day [or Weather Related Absence From Responsibility]

Status
Not open for further replies.
My dog friend is going in to have his testicles cut off after eight years of successfully having balls. One of those balls is much bigger than the other so the vet said to get him clipped. Shit is kinda expensive at $275 for the whole thing. Poor buddy seems to know something is up, been acting different all day. The vet people got me nervous about his situation, tomorrow is going to be a stressful day.

don't trust what most vets say.
one nut is bigger?
lol, wtf does that mean?
did they do any other tests to suggest surgery is necessary?

don't trust what most vets say.
one nut is bigger?
lol, wtf does that mean?
did they do any other tests to suggest surgery is necessary?
Just said that it could be cancer so getting him clipped wouldn't hurt and could prevent spreading if it is cancer. But then when I went to get it scheduled they upsold me on IV fluids and blood tests because the dog is older.

all I know is that vets are in business to make money.
sure they want to help your pet, you hope, but they
run up the bill whenever possible.

when my last dog got old and feeble they wanted to keep him at the animal hospital
for a WEEK to run tests and shit. nah, not going to happen.

brought him home for two weeks before he passed away, good dog that he was.

Last edited:
all I know is that vets are in business to make money.
sure they want to help your pet, you hope, but they
run up the bill whenever possible.

when my last dog got old and feeble they wanted to keep him at the animal hospital
for a WEEK to run tests and shit. nah, not going to happen.

brought him home for two weeks before he passed away, good dog that he was.

I gotta disagree here.

I dated a vet for a while and from what I've gathered they understand most normal folks don't want to spend that kind of money so they try and take a reasonable approach.

People in the profession suffer depression higher than the average population because it's a tough job that isn't that highly paid when compared to other professions with similar school/training and it doesn't get as much admiration as those professions and a lot of their patients die because most people aren't willing to shell out thousands$ to save a pet.

That said she has told me about some crazy stories. This one couple spent $75k trying to save their dog who died...obviously....because when your dog needs $75k of work it's probably not going to make it.

She tried to talk them out of it but re retards spent the money. And they weren't rich. They actually failed a credit check to fiance the cost but had an inheritance from a recently deceased parent and spent it all on the dog.

I gotta disagree here.

I dated a vet for a while and from what I've gathered they understand most normal folks don't want to spend that kind of money so they try and take a reasonable approach.

People in the profession suffer depression higher than the average population because it's a tough job that isn't that highly paid when compared to other professions with similar school/training and it doesn't get as much admiration as those professions and a lot of their patients die because most people aren't willing to shell out thousands$ to save a pet.

That said she has told me about some crazy stories. This one couple spent $75k trying to save their dog who died...obviously....because when your dog needs $75k of work it's probably not going to make it.

She tried to talk them out of it but re retards spent the money. And they weren't rich. They actually failed a credit check to fiance the cost but had an inheritance from a recently deceased parent and spent it all on the dog.

This^^^.

My buddy's wife quit being a vet because people hated paying and she saw too many animals mistreated. Shit drove her nuts.

We are friends with a married couple, both horse vets. One of them is a horse neurologist (if you can believe it!).

sure, there are stories like that too.
a family spent over $30K trying to save their Husky who ate 3 lbs of salmon.
to no avail of course, the dog died.

part of my insight is from a former doc at the local pet hospital who started her own practice because
she disagreed with the way the place did business.
I'm a 'dont fix it if it ain't broke' type of guy.
I've home treated dogs and cats for many years without vet intervention.
I only take pets to one when I can't deal with the situation.

the vet techs I've known sometimes have different standards than the actual doctors btw, especially if the latter are part owners of the hospital.

Last edited:
This^^^.

My buddy's wife quit being a vet because people hated paying and she saw too many animals mistreated. Shit drove her nuts.

We are friends with a married couple, both horse vets. One of them is a horse neurologist (if you can believe it!).

Horses I believe getting money for crazy stuff. If you have a horse (unless you're a Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club) you have that kind of money and there is a lot of money in breeding.

I used to work with a lady whose daughter was like a horse therapist and made good money. Can't remember the actual title but she would put horses in what was basically a giant oxygen tank for some type of therapy.

She put a horse in the tank without checking to see if it had it's shoes removed (they weren't).

The horse got nervous and kicked the metal wall which caused a spark and an explosion which killed her.

Never thought of home treatment. I have access to surgical equipment and I am sure there are tutorials on youtube. Might have just saved myself some cash. Now the only question is do I make the doggy huff paint or force feed it liquor to put him out for a little bit.

giphy.gif

mas tequila, por favor

Horses I believe getting money for crazy stuff. If you have a horse (unless you're a Fletcher Street Urban Riding Club) you have that kind of money and there is a lot of money in breeding.

I used to work with a lady whose daughter was like a horse therapist and made good money. Can't remember the actual title but she would put horses in what was basically a giant oxygen tank for some type of therapy.

She put a horse in the tank without checking to see if it had it's shoes removed (they weren't).

The horse got nervous and kicked the metal wall which caused a spark and an explosion which killed her.

Tbh that sounds like a cutting room scene from Spinal Tap.

Fucking M Night Shamalamala twist to this post

Did not see that shit coming. Or the lol that followed.

I thought waiting to hear back from the vet on the dog surgery was going to be the worst part. Still not fun, but seeing my other dog friend sitting around looking sad is also a bummer. I thought she wouldn't really give a shit, but I can tell she is shook.

I thought waiting to hear back from the vet on the dog surgery was going to be the worst part. Still not fun, but seeing my other dog friend sitting around looking sad is also a bummer. I thought she wouldn't really give a shit, but I can tell she is shook.

You might want to consider adding real live people to your life. Just a thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ruckus245
Back