SBBC: Our Place in the Universe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Drinking a growler of an 8% DIPA in the afternoon in 90 degree desert heat. What could go wrong?

Feeling pretty ethnic right now at this lil shindig on the river walk. If I didn't know any better, I would have thought I'm at Dirt road shitter's family reunion. Band is currently playing Freebird. No offense @Dirt Road Soldier

Damn, so many cars just underwater here. We just drove home in this nonsense. We live in a neighborhood between two main roads (our neighborhood is thankfully on a hill, so we're fine). Both those main roads flooded out so bad that the concrete gave way in enormous patches for a couple of miles. We were literally driving through an obstacle course to get home. At at least 5 different spots on the drive there were cars in poorly chosen spots just covered in water. Shit is insane.

This is Main Street in Old Ellicott City (a small, historic town five minutes outside the city, I can usually be where this is shot in about 10 minutes. Great nightlife, tons of great bars and restaurants). They made national news a couple years ago due to bad flooding. It looks worse today:

You'll notice it looks like the water is coming through some of those buildings. It is. Behind those buildings is an enormous ravine where the stream that is supposed to move the water is. On a normal day it's an average stream at the bottom of the ravine, which is about 100 feet across and 30-50 feet down depending where you are on Main Street. But Old Ellicott City is built in a valley and that stream meets the Patapsco river. It filled so quickly (over 6 inches came down in an hour+) that the ravine (100ftx30 to 50ft) is just completely full of water and dumping it right through those buildings. Fucked.

However, when the same thing happened in 2016, it was called a once in 1,000 year event. We're less than 2 years later, this one is worse. That town is old as shit. Most of the buildings on Main street go back to the early 1800's and late 1700's. This just started happening. Now the town is probably going to have to die.

Last edited:
Damn, so many cars just underwater here. We just drove home in this nonsense. We live in a neighborhood between two main roads (our neighborhood is thankfully on a hill, so we're fine). Both those main roads flooded out so bad that the concrete gave way in enormous patches for a couple of miles. We were literally driving through an obstacle course to get home. At at least 5 different spots on the drive there were cars in poorly chosen spots just covered in water. Shit is insane.

This is Main Street in Old Ellicott City (a small, historic town five minutes outside the city, I can usually be where this is shot in about 10 minutes. Great nightlife, tons of great bars and restaurants). They made national news a couple years ago due to bad flooding. It looks worse today:

You'll notice it looks like the water is coming through some of those buildings. It is. Behind those buildings is an enormous ravine where the stream that is supposed to move the water is. On a normal day it's an average stream at the bottom of the ravine, which is about 100 feet across and 30-50 feet down depending where you are on Main Street. But Old Ellicott City is built in a valley and that stream meets the Patapsco river. It filled so quickly (over 6 inches came down in an hour+) that the ravine (100ftx30 to 50ft) is just completely full of water and dumping it right through those buildings. Fucked.

However, when the same thing happened in 2016, it was called a once in 1,000 year event. We're less than 2 years later, this one is worse. That town is old as shit. Most of the buildings on Main street go back to the early 1800's and late 1700's. This just started happening. Now the town is probably going to have to die.

The flooding in Ellicot City is a surprise to no one. A town should not have been built there.

Not sure where that pic is that TRD posted, maybe white mountains, but Mt Washington is no joke. I hiked it when I was a Boy Scout years ago. If @INeedARemedy dorsnt make it to Baxter State Park this summer try hitting up the Presidential Range in NH.
This is from a story I just found of a women who died up there in 2015.

“Last week, I hiked up the mountain with Steve Dupuis, a local mountain guide and search and rescue volunteer. He was one of the first to respond when Matrosova’s personal locator beacon went off. He and his team would eventually brave wind gusts of 140 mph, and wind chill as low as -100 degrees trying to reach her.”

Edit: fuck that shit.

It was a pic of Mt. Washington. THe US's version of Mount Ventoux. Those idiots who drive to the top to stand at a 45 degree angle in 100mph wind deserve every bit of their impending death.

The flooding in Ellicot City is a surprise to no one. A town should not have been built there.
I've lived in Baltimore a long time and have gone to Ellicott City since I was a kid. This didn't used to happen like this. They got flooding once in a while (a few inches coming down the street), but nothing like these two from 2016 and today. Town has done fine for 250 years dealing with the minor flooding that it's destined to receive. It's survived countless hurricanes and other big storms without this happening. These 2 storms are unprecedented in the town's history. One of the areas around it got over 9 inches in an hour today. That doesn't happen here.

I've lived in Baltimore a long time and have gone to Ellicott City since I was a kid. This didn't used to happen like this. They got flooding once in a while (a few inches coming down the street), but nothing like these two from 2016 and today. Town has done fine for 250 years dealing with the minor flooding that it's destined to receive. It's survived countless hurricanes and other big storms without this happening. These 2 storms are unprecedented in the town's history. One of the areas around it got over 9 inches in an hour today. That doesn't happen here.
Lol. The history books tells me otherwise.

Tropical storms shutdown the everything on the east coast above North Carolina. Yankees just can't handle rain and wind.

Lol. The history books tells me otherwise.
There have been floods in the past but nothing as monstrous as these. The Patapsco rose higher faster in 2016 and today than they did during any of those. Even the '72 hurricane flood. I was there a day after the 2011 flood that was supposed to be a bad one historically. It was nothing compared to these. It's the speed of these storms that are so ridiculous. The water dumped so fast everything just got overwhelmed. Historic flooding was just constant downpour, but didn't rip through as intensely as these ones have with literal rivers coming through like tidal waves taking cars and the road with it.

Last edited:
The '72 hurricane flood was goddamn lie. When you gonna open your eyes, man?

Also the Main road closest to me has never washed out like this before. We're well uphill from Ellicott City. Not even in 2016. There are literally just enormous chunks of road gone, or laying on top of the rest of the road, everywhere for a few miles stretch. We couldn't believe it driving home. It was like a slalom to get into our neighborhood. It's not even supposed to be a flood zone.

In 1978 a hurricane was headed for NYC and the designer of now 3 yr old citibank bldg realized it wasn't designed to withstand a hurricane. they worked at night secretly to reinforce the bldg one by one but were running out of time. One option was to have the air force shoot it down (no I'm not joking) if it looked like it was going to take out 16 city blks.

902670-Large-citigroup-center.jpg

i took this pic a year ago (50 floors up)

D5O590-hnGtbc-Tjz8DPWc3sE8OlIAdOZO5WJ9Ki9qj_ELbL9KmO9ndo3JhcU_SYNNEwRc-8XKmPkmUHJ5dcpOuYfqeqT1NCDLfauKtreNujS6_xLbtXl29yqIVAJY5PnLQ3AtjEb9ErjBwJhR-J-hD70FvfjLLfNsxTcZIs2TXU_J8ZSqCiAj2UvZsiS-9myue66P3UE_EnH5U9uZqhn3lb2dPc9RWt7q1OMAj33HqXy45vXn9oGjJ2ZIOaKiLESy_XQDeFFIwJLPx2_qMAX5d9BZ41eQikVOmr_UKBAzpppYQGlV3h8WWv8wA_qWgYzfddAwg9aKUDRbPhXZkAXRfeesNz9Sf-1PtbnbnHeL_Jdx796niUKe0DXdO2u3pvZdHS1MapLp-9aHpRzZU0yA-RaMS7ch9zp5XxH4s910XCbFaAH809HO8Xjvxqlqc3WPD6JaHHtAP7CWbW9pOMQy5iv8hcs9OGYQkykkFVmGDssdsGTnyj8GV5ZKB-KAin8RV0UtykgkFeLxdegSaHLQekbFa8U3WVWJPwwVPzcrvZeOP-mgLvvQmNuivZ6w5DH-HIEczI14Q1FLe0841c_WyqBFDyX_Nc2ngGraXZqprpcvJU-A7qdINwJRywS1AIk3gOJ9zqUdm-t8pQjUP0t-F9bvDAk_3p=w1024-h419-no

Came to South Cackalack from Texas and the main place I chose to eat was a Texas BBQ place. No regrets. Shit was really good. Supposed to fly out tomorrow. Hope I'm not stuck here.

Next year my daughter is going to learn to drive. Which car do you think I should have her learn to drive?

outback_lachute_subaru_grande_202e9505-fda0-4e10-b33c-07f5feff4f2e_large.jpg

Subaru-WRX-Sport-2015-23.jpg

Or

VpIJo-YmyCpigmndY3LNhcJ4GtGH-GOJpy-Q3Ojwn16DbfZ2u9gpTZQMSmjEpMQ4PjQtFe0N64t95TIFYVtaFQsEFN-ev7apAYX6R3mVEee2RnGEQ_108KLFMWVjEkNh6HLxdyY4qkebPDU1hZDSODtqCCq-aSY2xH_ox_W8mAn_m-tE4BaG0EqG2v3tGFdBCKchjFSz2QQ97G2nLGv4xnIJdpms7V5KjgXCd_WI6JFXznbBnUJJiC6l3hlAMfSvT51aJ1xDjnwPmxc6aV3-J5IC34hFHwe-n0dcZrM4n9Fuhn3hwvRMwM3fLqEPzVvHdseMmX0ibeLq6qmYhqzI3nsQZKIQ2a5UIc8iDA4eb_fL6197p97pDJmIFjCPmMkafY4jpXjGBQa3LJtK1dubjqn9koGPCO_FVXvwdqIKgxGefpevHUD74jTRiFMRw9lFEUnwOdNARgK9jMGxUB0EMvXwDq9pCfLjcM746nUc1rdbtTiAIscxHNKmJj6A17R1YzbTpnnt0a7jLTBNHX0OF4yyLE4buXcapMQcjKXu448mFDayxdVAAShU0UZb0ewNNZOOeIJlDzqAJhWK7orab1nzNCbfMxdWyTKFJHW8ILdkUaKSTfhgq9kacyWh9V555owQYDsyxNl1Jn_ya2YrF5R7uEpyk-A=w1022-h430-no
I think Id actually lean towards the boat. Learning in a Subie may spoil her. Theyre so awesome.

Ive tried like hell to talk my lady into one but she wants her Tahoe/Denali.

Came to South Cackalack from Texas and the main place I chose to eat was a Texas BBQ place. No regrets. Shit was really good. Supposed to fly out tomorrow. Hope I'm not stuck here.

Please, tell me it wasn't Nick and Jim's...

I think Id actually lean towards the boat.

Plus it sends a message to perps when a high schooler drives a 70s pimp-mobile with a brass cane in the back. They're going to think twice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back