SBBC: Free Angus

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by A.C., Jun 5, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

Flying out to Rome tomorrow evening for a 2 week Mediterranean cruise. Be back early July. Apparently my phone won't work (although I'll see if I can use it with the wifi on the boat), but I'll try to post some pics (if I remember to take any, I'm really bad about that, lol).

Graves, A.C., therealdope and 2 others like this.
  2. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

It's a tiny spot, but it's popular because there are a lot of bars down that way and it's the only decent food place close and they stay open until 3am on Saturdays.

And yeah, my mom texted me from Arkansas a week ago "See yall have flood warnings up there"...yeah, we've had flood warnings for like 2 and a half months now. I'm so damn sick of rain. Sorry, not trying to rub it in the faces of the California desert peasants here.

iwhoopedbatman likes this.
  3. iwhoopedbatman

Yeah, it was even worse in Howard County. On Sunday the tourney in Frederick got rained out early afternoon (over an inch in 10 minutes, lol), so I got moved to a regular double header at Centennial HS in Howard county. That got rained out after the top half of the first in the second game. Rain was so bad the parking lot was 3 inches deep 15 minutes after it started. I am so done with these rains. We genuinely didn't used to get storms like these where insane amounts of water dump in less than an hour. Flooding in the area used to happen because it rained steady for days and the rivers rose and backed up the waterways. Now so much comes down, so fast, that we get fucking tidal waves down the street. Frederick Ave here on the edge of the city right near me is still closed because of the damage from a few weeks ago. It's not even supposed to be a flood area (it's at least 20 feet above the beltway a half mile away). Nothing like it had ever happened before.

4. HunterSdVa29

HunterSdVa29 Respect, tho Platinum Member

what the f is rain?

iwhoopedbatman and MarkyMcFly like this.
  5. Sharon Peters

Sharon Peters Sassy Belt

Which cruise company? Is it all inclusive? How much is everything setting you back?

Might be doing something similar next year.

6. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

It has been crazy. That shit in Ellicott City was fuckin' wiiiiild. The second "1000 year storm" in 3 years.

7. iwhoopedbatman

It's on the Celebrity cruise line. The ship is called Reflection. Food is all inclusive. We got the premium drink package (the one thing I felt was overpriced, but fuck it, lol). I was amazed how reasonable the cruise was considering it's almost 2 weeks and 4 countries with multiple stops in Italy and Spain (we have a suite, but not one of the ridiculous ones, less expensive rooms are available). All told, the trip is costing just over 7 grand for my wife and I (that's airfare, cruise, drink package, a couple nights hotel in Rome before and after the trip, plus a Vatican tour). We got an amazing discount on the cruise through vacationstogo.com that lopped off over $1,500 (but we also booked this thing in January). Obviously, we'll end up spending money while we're there as well.

8. HunterSdVa29

have fun man, sounds dope

never been on a cruise, had one booked from Amsterdam/Brussels/London but then the ex wife started getting morning sickness so we couldn't go

9. iwhoopedbatman

Actually that was 2016 last time, so 2 years. But yeah, fucking nuts.

10. iwhoopedbatman

Thanks, it does look like it's going to be awesome. Our first cruise as well. We did do our honeymoon on a week long boat trip through the BVI, but that was a catamaran.

11. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

Ah, you are correct. They need to do a better job of planning for this in the future.

12. HunterSdVa29

when you visit the V.I., do you take like a island hopper flight to go from Island to Island (or if you're going to BVI, whatever) or a helicopter?

or boat ride?

I took ferries between the Canary, and Balearic Island chains

13. iwhoopedbatman

Ferry boats. St. Thomas to St. John is like 20 minutes (25+ if it's the car ferry so you don't have to worry about catching cabs). Even going all the way out to Virgin Gorda in the BVI only takes a little over an hour. Tortola is about 45 minutes. Jost van Dyke (also BVI) is only about 20-30 minutes. We never go to St. Croix, it would actually take longer than most of the BVI.

HunterSdVa29 likes this.
  14. HunterSdVa29

I mainly asked, b/c if like me you have never been on a cruise ship than I assume that might be the largest boat/ship you've been on (a car ferry?)

I've been on a destroyer and aircraft carrier, but while docked so not at sea. The car ferries that go across the Puget Sound I believe is the biggest watercraft I've ever rode on.

15. iwhoopedbatman

Biggest boat I've been on until now is the enormous car ferry that goes to Martha's Vineyard from Cape Cod. This thing will dwarf that. The ferries in the VI are big, but not close to as big as the Martha's Vineyard one. The car ferries aren't much bigger than the regular (people only) ferries in the VI. Car ferries carry probably about 60-70 cars and the people only ones can hold a few hundred people if necessary (rare) because they're dual deck.

But the people only run every half hour for St. Thomas/St. John, every hour for car ferry (st thomas/st john) and like every hour or two for BVI (people only, never done the car ferries for there) destinations. Nicest thing about the ferries down there is that if you buy the round trip ticket, they'll honor them on any company (multiple companies run the ferries), so you don't have to worry about catching the 'right boat'. You just get on the first one available.

HunterSdVa29 likes this.
  16. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

I spent several months out at see on the USS George Washington CVN 73 Aircraft Carrier

HunterSdVa29 and iwhoopedbatman like this.
  17. Dudaloni

Dudaloni Gypsy Platinum Member

Damn. Thats deep, dawg

I havent spent any significant time at sea. think I would become claustrophobic. How was your time on the ship?

18. HunterSdVa29

i know in general Marines pretty much hate being at sea, minus the shoreleave

Mainly b/c they don't really have jobs on Naval ships, so they are constantly in the way of Sailors doing their duties, and its just mad boring

My grandfather and uncle, both retired Navy, both didn't seem to mind minus being apart from the family. Dad and brother hated it

A.C. and iwhoopedbatman like this.
  19. MarkyMcFly

MarkyMcFly Silver Belt

Fucked that ALL up, huh?

It's not awful on an aircraft carrier. It's a huge boat with upwards of 5000+ people on them when you are actually deployed out to SEA. It sucks living where you work for months though. You'll be ready to fight 90% of your shipmates that work with you after about 30 days

iwhoopedbatman and Dudaloni like this.
  20. Graves

Graves ******WTF Belt****** Platinum Member

Only 'cruise' I ever went on was a five day one up the Yangtze River from Shangai to Chengdu before they completed that massive damn project. They had a line painted high on some of the cliffs to show where the new water line would be. Something on the order of 2000 villages would end up submerged and nearly a million people displaced. Crazy.
    The boat was pretty nice, considering. And the food was amazing I must say, all you could eat.
    Cold beer was lacking however, mainland Chinese don't put much stock in ice I guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.