SBBC: Diablo Sandwich and a Dr. Pepper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't speak for EVERY where... but here, I'd say 90-95% minimally are just addicts.

If there was any "mental illness"... I'd say it had been brought on by whatever freebase drug they've been doing.

The days of your Rambo style vagabond are long gone around here. I haven't come across a non-addict homeless person in a LONG time.

Maybe in some other parts of the country you have a more benign level of homeless person, like the one that's portrayed in movies... you know, misunderstood and fairly charming... but that shit doesn't exist here. They are closer to walking dead level zombies because they are all on a 3 day meth binge.
I do believe addicts are an overwhelming portion of the homeless population.

I try not to just be cold to them though. Ive met a couple folks who were amazing people but ended up homeless at some point due to things they couldnt control.

Id like to see communities offer work programs tbh. Pick up some trash or whatever duties they can find to better the place, give them some wages for the day. If theyre going to buy dope/booze with it, whatever. Its better than panhandling and actually could contribute something to society. Id imagine it would take away some leeching off public funds and crime as well. Maybe even give the people who are legitimately just in a bad place a way to get out.

I can't speak for EVERY where... but here, I'd say 90-95% minimally are just addicts.

If there was any "mental illness"... I'd say it had been brought on by whatever freebase drug they've been doing.

The days of your Rambo style vagabond are long gone around here. I haven't come across a non-addict homeless person in a LONG time.

Maybe in some other parts of the country you have a more benign level of homeless person, like the one that's portrayed in movies... you know, misunderstood and fairly charming... but that shit doesn't exist here. They are closer to walking dead level zombies because they are all on a 3 day meth binge.

So you claim knowledge on a topic that you have only anecdotal evidence of? Lmao

Thanks for breaking it down for us, Lumi

I certainly agree w/ Lumi that if a person's own friends and family have gave up on them.....clearly they've made many wrong life choices

Although I have had two people stay w/ me to avoid that status, so who knows

So you claim knowledge on a topic that you have only anecdotal evidence of? Lmao

Thanks for breaking it down for us, Lumi

What is anecdotal? The knowledge is directly from my experience... and my experience with homeless people, and my opinion of them, is reinforced daily.

In this area, if you're handing money to bums it is just about the worst thing you can do. Unless your thought is to give them money so they don't steal things to feed their addiction.

Too much discussion on bums itt. Who cares.

Some of you worry too much about what others do with their money. In my experience that is a direct reflection on said individual

Last edited:
Give all of your money to me.

Thanks in advance.

Some people have a poor understanding of the homeless.

They think, oh poor guy, caught some tough breaks and is now left begging for change so he can eat.

Reality is, Oh complete dickface, put his family through hell for so long they finally just gave up on him, so now he's out here begging for money so he can support his addiction.

I got nothing for the homeless... why should I give a shit about you when you fucked shit up so bad your family doesn't want a thing to do with you.

i used to feel the same way, but mental illness (and abuse) is a real thing

What is anecdotal? The knowledge is directly from my experience... and my experience with homeless people, and my opinion of them, is reinforced daily.

In this area, if you're handing money to bums it is just about the worst thing you can do. Unless your thought is to give them money so they don't steal things to feed their addiction.

Youre using your experience in one city to talk about a group comprised of millions of people from different backgrounds spread across the country.

It's a little more nuanced than homeless people are all addicts/opportunists that are leeching from society.

You dont think that getting a handle on mental health/substance abuse would drastically reduce that number?

Or finding ways to integrate vets back into society?

Looks like there are still 40,000 homeless vets on the streets and thats with millions invested in halfway houses and the like:

https://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/accomplishments/2016-by-the-numbers.asp

I do believe addicts are an overwhelming portion of the homeless population.

I try not to just be cold to them though. Ive met a couple folks who were amazing people but ended up homeless at some point due to things they couldnt control.

Id like to see communities offer work programs tbh. Pick up some trash or whatever duties they can find to better the place, give them some wages for the day. If theyre going to buy dope/booze with it, whatever. Its better than panhandling and actually could contribute something to society. Id imagine it would take away some leeching off public funds and crime as well. Maybe even give the people who are legitimately just in a bad place a way to get out.

yes agreed

should stop the war on drugs and make it into social/education/work program investments as preventative measures

Youre using your experience in one city to talk about a group comprised of millions of people from different backgrounds spread across the country.

It's a little more nuanced than homeless people are all addicts/opportunists that are leeching from society.

You dont think that getting a handle on mental health/substance abuse would drastically reduce that number?

Or finding ways to integrate vets back into society?

Looks like there are still 40,000 homeless vets on the streets and thats with millions invested in halfway houses and the like:

https://www.va.gov/HOMELESS/accomplishments/2016-by-the-numbers.asp

Bud, it's Lumi. You aren't going to get him off of his pedestal

yes agreed

should stop the war on drugs and make it into social/education/work program investments as preventative measures
Wlu 2020

@therealdope you know anything about Mt Katharine
Gonna plan a few day trip up there this spring / summer
What month you going? If you plan on camping or renting a lean to space do it early. Like when reservations open. Which is early 2018. Check the website for the exact date.

Ive hike it 3 times. Twice up Abol Trail and down Hunt Trail (Appellation Trail). And one from the north side up Chimney Pond Trail and down knifes edge. Chimney and Knifes edge were far better option but more exposed. Knifes edge will be a game time decision once your at the top. You don’t wanna get blow off the top of the mountain lol. The great thing about Chimney and Knifes edge is that they both start and end at the same parking lot/campsite. One big loop.

If you hike Abol, which is really a huge ass Rock slide on the west side of the Mountain, and come down Hunt, you’ll have to walk back to the Abol parking lot. Or bum a ride.

Round trip about 10-12 hours depending on fitness and how much traffic is on the mountain.

If you plan of staying outside the park or in Millinokett or East Millinockett and drive in the day of, get there when the gates open. It’s pretty early. In the summer parking lots fill up quick so you gotta get there at the ass crack of dawn.

It’s a great hike though. Plenty of opportunities for pics. Especially when you get above tree line and to the Table Lands.

There is not support on the mountain. It’s not like some more well known mountains in New England where you get to the top and there a fucking restaurant lol. Gotta pack in all yo shit.

People have died hiking that mountain. Either getting lost and dying of exposure or falling.

Edit: I can’t spell for shit

What month you going? If you plan on camping or renting a lean to space do it early. Like when reservations open. Which is early 2018. Check the website for the exact date.

Ive hike it 3 times. Twice up Abol Trail and down Hunt Trail (Appellation Trail). And one from the north side up Chimney Pond Trail and down knifes edge. Chimney and Knifes edge were far better option but more exposed. Knifes edge will be a game time decision once your at the top. You don’t wanna get blow off the top of the mountain lol. The great thing about Chimney and Knifes edge is that they both start and end at the same parking lot/campsite. One big loop.

If you hike Abol, which is really a huge ass Rock slide on the west side of the Mountain, and come down Hunt, you’ll have to walk back to the Abol parking lot. Or bum a ride.

Round trip about 10-12 hours depending on fitness and how much traffic is on the mountain.

If you plan of staying outside the park or in Millinokett or East Millinockett and drive in the day of, get there when the gates open. It’s pretty early. In the summer parking lots fill up quick so you gotta get there at the ass crack of dawn.

It’s a great hike though. Plenty of opportunities for pics. Especially when you get above tree line and to the Table Lands.

There is not support on the mountain. It’s not like some more well known mountains in New England where you get to the top and there a fucking restaurant lol. Gotta pack in all yo shit.

People have died hiking that mountain. Either getting lost and dying of exposure or falling.

Edit: I can’t spell for shit

Is Apellation a real thing, or did you just butcher Appalachian? I'm hoping you butchered it, but i'm guessing it's a real thing?

*edit

It's ok, they have kids now spell things phonetically instead of correctly. My daughter had to write about a place she went in the summer and spelled Arkansas as "Arecinsal". I got a good chuckle because it's completely butchered but I knew exactly what she was trying to write lol

Some of you worry too much about what others do with their money. In my experience that is a direct reflection on said individual

Don't even know what this means.

I was just saying, for the most part... you give a bum a money he's just going to use it on drugs / alcohol. (In this area blah blah)

You're not helping, you're enabling. You think you did something decent, but you just didn't... it was easy, and convenient, but you'd have been much better off helping someone who's actually trying to help themselves.

Anyway, your money goes to RENT, so fuck off or something.

Not sure how long @INeedARemedy youll be in Maine but I would also highly suggest whitewater rafting on the Penobscot River if you have time. Depending on water level they have some serious class V rapids that will make you pucker.

You don’t want the wimpy class II and III rapids. If your itinerary doesn’t say Cribworks, Exterminator or Ripagenous Gorge rapids then you don’t want it. Go big.

Is Apellation a real thing, or did you just butcher Appalachian? I'm hoping you butchered it, but i'm guessing it's a real thing?

*edit

It's ok, they have kids now spell things phonetically instead of correctly. My daughter had to write about a place she went in the summer and spelled Arkansas as "Arecinsal". I got a good chuckle because it's completely butchered but I knew exactly what she was trying to write lol
I made an edit at the end noting my lack of education lol

Not sure how long @INeedARemedy youll be in Maine but I would also highly suggest whitewater rafting on the Penobscot River if you have time. Depending on water level they have some serious class V rapids that will make you pucker.

You don’t want the wimpy class II and III rapids. If your itinerary doesn’t say Cribworks, Exterminator or Ripagenous Gorge rapids then you don’t want it. Go big.

One of my favorite documentaries ever

This shit is crazy as fuck

*edit

Just to add, a lot of American Olympic Kayakers train in the Potomac up near me, because it varies so much. Me and my buddy go fishing off our kayaks through there, and depending on how far you go you'll start to see wires and flags strung up over sections of the river as markers for when they train.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back