Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Good, they were for Easter so I took pics after taking them off but forgot to get some on easter.

Reheated in oven with a little water in the pans. Came out good. I was hoping for a better smoke ring but it was good regardless.

Nice man, looks good. I never do very good with Baby Back ribs so I always go with spares, and usually I'll trim them down to a St. Louis cut for consistency. Regardless, yours look damned tasty, thanks for posting.

only homos eat meat

Well if that's the case

tumblr_inline_mnuwr3TsXh1r79k32.gif

Posting this from Myron Mixons house. Currently taking his BBQ class. Whole hog is on, beef, spare and baby backs ribs just went on. Moving on to turkey and chicken next.

Highly recommend the class. I know @usmctanker242 was interested. Great staff and great knowledge.

Posting this from Myron Mixons house. Currently taking his BBQ class. Whole hog is on, beef, spare and baby backs ribs just went on. Moving on to turkey and chicken next.

Highly recommend the class. I know @usmctanker242 was interested. Great staff and great knowledge.

I'll stop by around 6

Hey All,

So I'm getting more familiar with my new smoker and after fiddling around with the reverse flow pipe I was able to get an even cooking temperature across the entire smoking chamber... 5 foot long chamber so that's pretty amazing! Originally I had the pipe level but the pitbuilder reached out to me with some tips and told me to set the pipe so it was a slight decline (right to left) and that would even things out. Holy shit he wasn't kidding. Here's an Imgur album I made showing my experiment using the Thermoworks Smoke to monitor the temps of each side of the pit.

Edit: For me this isn't showing up, but if you click the area in the top left of the big black box which says "IMGUR" it should take you to the album.

Last edited:
Hey All,

So last Friday my wife held a party for her staff for an awards ceremony. I was lucky enough to be able to "cater" the event, and in turn, cook for the base SgtMaj and base Commander (full bird Colonel). Anyway, it was at 3pm so instead of traditional BBQ fare my wife wanted "finger foods." I also had a vegetarian for whom I had to cook, so I made a few different things. I made some pork belly burnt ends (Malcom Reed's recipe), some more of those PigShots, and then for the vegetarian I tried to make some ABT's using vegan sausage and vegan bacon. The burnt ends and pig shots were amazing, but the ABT's were just mediocre. That was my first time cooking with vegan bacon and I just didn't know how it was going to behave in terms of crispiness and cook time. They were edible but nowhere near as good as traditional ABT's.

Hey Guys,

Looks like this thread is pretty much dead... oh well, I'll continue posting from time to time. I smoked a brisket yesterday on my new smoker... went low and slow at about 225-250F for 10.5 hours using pecan wood. I smoked it "open" for right at 8 hours until I got a great color, and then I wrapped in butcher paper and finished it up until I hit 203F in the point. I probed for tenderness and it was very good... would have liked to have cooked it longer but I had my family over and they were just salivating! The look on their faces when I told them I had to rest it for at least an hour was terrifying.

Anyways, here's the pics...

it finally got nice in winnipeg so im gonna start grilling soon. i need to step my bbq game up, the last thread was inspiring lol

I'm going to have a lot more time starting in July to do more smoking.

My garden just went in yesterday too, so we'll see what I can smoke from there. I've planted squash, zucchini, tomatillos, 4 types of tomatoes (roma, beefsteak, grape, "mortgage ender" aka salsa tomato), spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, red/yellow/orange/green bell peppers, anaheim/jalapeno/serrano peppers, corn and herbs. Love it. Can't wait to get my grub on. I may go back and pick up some garlic and onions and plant them in a large standalone planter.

Anyone here has a good recipe for slow cook spicy BBQ ribs? I'm using ribeye ribs.

Last time, the meat ended up really sweet, I used a dark beer, Jack Daniels spicy BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, onion and Cayenne. I believe that if I use less BBQ the flavour might end up better.

Any of you guys ever smoked Lamb before?

I'm thinking about it, probably meditteranean style

Any of you guys ever smoked Lamb before?

I'm thinking about it, probably meditteranean style

Yeah, I've done smoked bone in leg of lamb several times. About 3-4 hours typically does the trick, it's much better rare than well done. The more overdone it is the more gamey it tastes. Like smoking most stuff, I use a mix of hickory and applewood. I'd recommend using thyme in your rub, it works really well with lamb and ribs imo.

Anyone here has a good recipe for slow cook spicy BBQ ribs? I'm using ribeye ribs.

Last time, the meat ended up really sweet, I used a dark beer, Jack Daniels spicy BBQ sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, onion and Cayenne. I believe that if I use less BBQ the flavour might end up better.

Apple cider vinegar can give the sauce a bit more balance if it is too sweet. Add some smoked paprika for a bit more smokiness

I noticed that a lot of you guys use some serious equipment and compete. I stick to a kumoda on my back porch but a question for you:

I generally use lump oak charcoal with a few handfuls of soaked wood chips. Am I missing out by not using split log wood? My pork shoulder goes for over 10hrs sometimes but I do a damn fine brisket in under five. Worth it or not worth it?

Back