Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Sounds pretty solid, make sure you use Kosher salt rather than table salt. Kosher salt is much easier to see, so you know how much you're actually putting on. I also wouldn't rub it down until about an hour or so before you're ready to put it on your smoker, otherwise that salty flavor can become overpowering.

250F you're looking at about an hour per pound. I would suggest just going straight through, no spritzing or wrapping, until you hit about 200F internal temp on the point end of the meat. The probe should slide in and out like you were sticking into butter, so if it's still a bit tight or firm let it cook for a bit longer and check again. Then loosely wrap the meat in foil and let it rest for about an hour before slicing.
Very nice thanks, bro!

I don't think it's mandatory either, but I do it now. Keeps moisture well.

Make sure you mop every so often. Brisket can be easy to overdo quickly if the chamber doesn't stay moist.

You know Mass, for my last 10 or so cooks I haven't spritzed or mopped anything. Ribs, pork butt, and brisket.... so far I think it's a better overall product because you're not opening the cooking chamber, and you're also not putting cold / warm moisture on the meat and cooling it off. I do live in eastern NC only a few miles away from the ocean, so the air here is very humid... not sure if that makes much of a difference though. Without mopping / spritzing I haven't noticed any lack of moisture, but I have noticed a much more vibrant bark in terms of taste and it's also a bit crunchier. I think the spritzing / mopping dilutes the flavors of the rub over a long cook. Maybe give it a go with a rack of ribs and see what you think.

My buddy picked up a Green Mountain pellet smoker from Sportsmans Warehouse. Killer little smoker for a nice price tag. Very similar to the Traeger.

Made dis today.
IMG_4062_zpswvhkqkvq.jpg

Last edited:
You know Mass, for my last 10 or so cooks I haven't spritzed or mopped anything. Ribs, pork butt, and brisket.... so far I think it's a better overall product because you're not opening the cooking chamber, and you're also not putting cold / warm moisture on the meat and cooling it off. I do live in eastern NC only a few miles away from the ocean, so the air here is very humid... not sure if that makes much of a difference though. Without mopping / spritzing I haven't noticed any lack of moisture, but I have noticed a much more vibrant bark in terms of taste and it's also a bit crunchier. I think the spritzing / mopping dilutes the flavors of the rub over a long cook. Maybe give it a go with a rack of ribs and see what you think.

I live in arid CO, so there's damn near no humidity here. Everything just gets dried out really fast if I don't do it. I've tried in the past.

Hey All,

So anybody in the market for a Grade - A piece of smoking equipment?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243773

If I hadn't already purchased my other pit last month I would be driving to South Carolina RIGHT NOW to pick up this bad boy. haha
For those that don't know, Shirley Fabrications is pretty much right up there in the absolute top echelon of smokers in terms of quality and construction. Shirley Pits are so in demand that currently their waiting list for purchasing a pit is a solid YEAR. haha
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/offer/smokers-cookers

Last edited:
@MASShole ,

Looks good man. I am wanting to do pork belly myself but I have never gotten around to it. Are you planning on doing it "burnt end" style? Chef Tom, from All Things BBQ, made a great video about it and he started out by cutting it into strips just like you've done, so I was just curious. I'm posting the video just to throw it out there.

Chef Tom is the man!

Hey All,

So anybody in the market for a Grade - A piece of smoking equipment?

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=243773

If I hadn't already purchased my other pit last month I would be driving to South Carolina RIGHT NOW to pick up this bad boy. haha
For those that don't know, Shirley Fabrications is pretty much right up there in the absolute top echelon of smokers in terms of quality and construction. Shirley Pits are so in demand that currently their waiting list for purchasing a pit is a solid YEAR. haha
http://www.shirleyfabrication.com/offer/smokers-cookers
Hey! Can't see the pit, , can you post a pic?

I was hoping last week was a good sign of things to come. At least then I could BBQ in a hoodie. Nope just got 3.5 ft of white crap.

I am getting tired of winter I want real BBQ dammit.

Hey! Can't see the pit, , can you post a pic?

Hmm... wonder if the pictures only show up for members of that forum.
Just so we're all clear, not my pit, and not my picture, just re-posting since it was requested.

Fg9wFMP.jpg

dtekTKb.jpg

1cSMPDv.jpg

I was hoping last week was a good sign of things to come. At least then I could BBQ in a hoodie. Nope just got 3.5 ft of white crap.

I am getting tired of winter I want real BBQ dammit.
Cant imagine living in a hell where BBQ isnt year round.

Cant imagine living in a hell where BBQ isnt year round.

I can and hate it. If I didn't have all my family in this area I would have left NY along time ago.

Spring-fall all I do is grill or BBQ. And Yes there is a difference. I may have been born in the north. Should have been born in the south.

Make my own BBQ sauce as well. not that bottled crap.

I can and hate it. If I didn't have all my family in this area I would have left NY along time ago.

Spring-fall all I do is grill or BBQ. And Yes there is a difference. I may have been born in the north. Should have been born in the south.

Make my own BBQ sauce as well. not that bottled crap.

I make my own BBQ sauces as well, but I really believe that there are some fantastic BBQ sauces on the market today. I'm a big fan of Cattlemens Carolina Tangy Gold sauce, and I think both Stubbs and Heinz actually have some pretty decent sauces depending on the flavors. There's also a company out there called Rib Rack that makes great god damned sauces.

Smoked some ribs and a couple of corned beef points today. Great success!

17353393_1648582191825536_4730484315016288039_n.jpg
17352514_1648580635159025_2341224019282573210_n.jpg
17352466_1648580631825692_8063683629186307836_n.jpg

I don't spritz or mop either as I don't like opening the smoker more than necessary. It tends to throw off the temperature and then I'd have to mess with the vents to get it stabilized again. I try to only take the lid off when something is done. I do chicken thighs, pork shoulder, brisket, leg of lamb, ribs, salmon and short ribs and never had a problem with anything being too dry. Pretty much all of those have enough fat content to be self basting. Salmon is leaner but it only smokes a couple hours usually, so it comes out moist too.

I don't spritz or mop either as I don't like opening the smoker more than necessary. It tends to throw off the temperature and then I'd have to mess with the vents to get it stabilized again. I try to only take the lid off when something is done. I do chicken thighs, pork shoulder, brisket, leg of lamb, ribs, salmon and short ribs and never had a problem with anything being too dry. Pretty much all of those have enough fat content to be self basting. Salmon is leaner but it only smokes a couple hours usually, so it comes out moist too.

Agreed, took me a while to just "let go" and stop spritzing and checking the meat every 30 minutes or so, but I firmly believe I get a better product doing it this way. Opening an offset you can lose 100 degrees in about 10-15 seconds, so it's just not worth it. My Yoder pit recovers within a few minutes, but I still am seeing no actual benefit to mopping / spritzing. I also firmly believe that doing so mellows out the flavors of the rub, so that's yet another reason not to spritz / mop.

God damn, looks good. Amazing smoke ring and juicy as all hell. What kind of cooker are you using?

Weber Smokey Mountain. One day I'll upgrade but it does the job and holds temp well.

Back