Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Well got some Kosmos Q rubs, injection and sauce. Will probably do a brisket next weekend.

I love Kosmo's stuff, but his flavors aren't really universal for everybody. His Texas Beef rub is good but it has lemon powder in it and that can come off as very sour and quite out of place on something like a brisket. Cow Cover / Cow Cover hot are absolute winners in every single way and I love them. Dirty Bird is also an amazing rub that I can put on just about anything. His Pecan rub has something in there that makes me nauseous... not sure exactly what it is, but it's a strange sweet smell that is terrible. The Killer Bee rubs are good but I find them lacking in flavor compared to Dirty Bird.

His injections are top notch though... I love his Smokehouse Reserve Blend injection for brisket. It's very much geared towards competition so if you're using it at home and actually want to eat your brisket use if very sparingly. All that MSG is overwhelming after you eat a few bites, but it certainly is delicious for a single bite.

If you subscribe to his YouTube channel and click the bell to get notifications, Kosmo does "Subscribers Chats" about every 2 weeks or so. It's a cool Q and A session where he sits there and answers questions about a particular topic. During these sessions he does a 20% off coupon code for the entire online store. I've saved well over $100 by just tuning in and getting that code. A couple of weeks back he was talking about competition brisket and it was a cool insight...very different than I have learned in the past but it was interesting.

Good luck on the weekend brisket.... post pics if you feel like it came out good!

I love Kosmo's stuff, but his flavors aren't really universal for everybody. His Texas Beef rub is good but it has lemon powder in it and that can come off as very sour and quite out of place on something like a brisket. Cow Cover / Cow Cover hot are absolute winners in every single way and I love them. Dirty Bird is also an amazing rub that I can put on just about anything. His Pecan rub has something in there that makes me nauseous... not sure exactly what it is, but it's a strange sweet smell that is terrible. The Killer Bee rubs are good but I find them lacking in flavor compared to Dirty Bird.

His injections are top notch though... I love his Smokehouse Reserve Blend injection for brisket. It's very much geared towards competition so if you're using it at home and actually want to eat your brisket use if very sparingly. All that MSG is overwhelming after you eat a few bites, but it certainly is delicious for a single bite.

If you subscribe to his YouTube channel and click the bell to get notifications, Kosmo does "Subscribers Chats" about every 2 weeks or so. It's a cool Q and A session where he sits there and answers questions about a particular topic. During these sessions he does a 20% off coupon code for the entire online store. I've saved well over $100 by just tuning in and getting that code. A couple of weeks back he was talking about competition brisket and it was a cool insight...very different than I have learned in the past but it was interesting.

Good luck on the weekend brisket.... post pics if you feel like it came out good!

Yeah got cow cover and dirty bird hot. Got just the reserve blend(not smokehouse, figured it would be strong) injection, says it's msg free. Also got the Cherry Habanero sauce.

I think I'll order some wing dust as well, they sound good.

Yeah got cow cover and dirty bird hot. Got just the reserve blend(not smokehouse, figured it would be strong) injection, says it's msg free. Also got the Cherry Habanero sauce.

I think I'll order some wing dust as well, they sound good.

You are correct... I just checked the Smokehouse Injection and it clearly says MSG free... no idea why I thought it had MSG. Dirty Bird and Cow Cover are fantastic rubs. His BBQ sauces pack a bit of a punch so I only use them if I'm going with a sweet rub, like the Killer Bee style rub. I bought his 4-pack of Rib Glazes and they are amazing...hot without being too hot / painful.

@No MSG Those wings look amazing and the ribs look tasty as well. What kind of stuff are you using?
The wins are a Seven Pepper thing a throw together.
The Ribs are a simple recipe I got off the net but every time I make it, I use a little more or less of an ingredient, it's never the same.

But the wing rub is always the same. Not hot, but pepper spicy. Best wing you will ever have...Guaranteed!
<{anton}>

IMG_0024_zpsgyjvr4gc.jpg

You are correct... I just checked the Smokehouse Injection and it clearly says MSG free... no idea why I thought it had MSG. Dirty Bird and Cow Cover are fantastic rubs. His BBQ sauces pack a bit of a punch so I only use them if I'm going with a sweet rub, like the Killer Bee style rub. I bought his 4-pack of Rib Glazes and they are amazing...hot without being too hot / painful.

Stuff came in yesterday, quick shipping. They threw in a pack of wing dust for free as well, the 7 pepper facelift. That's a really good way to earn/retain future business imo.

Stuff came in yesterday, quick shipping. They threw in a pack of wing dust for free as well, the 7 pepper facelift. That's a really good way to earn/retain future business imo.

Right on! Kosmo is a good dude and he has done a lot for people in the BBQ arena. He sponsors a ton of teams and even some small businesses as well... stand-up dude and I love most of his products.

Doing ribs tomorrow on the BGE. Last time, I went in blind and just did whatever. I overslept during a nap and they got a little charred but the meat underneath was so tender. Gonna try again by the book. Wish me luck.

Doing ribs tomorrow on the BGE. Last time, I went in blind and just did whatever. I overslept during a nap and they got a little charred but the meat underneath was so tender. Gonna try again by the book. Wish me luck.

I'm a big fan of going simple with ribs.... rub them down about 30 minutes before putting them on the cooker. For spare-ribs I love going 275° for 4 hours without peeking once. No spritz, no mop, no wrap... really gives the bark a good chance to form and melt all the fat in the ribs which internally bastes the meat.

Baby-backs I do the same thing but I do about 3 hours at 250° and then start checking for tenderness with a toothpick and bend test.

I'm not sure what you mean "by the book" but good luck either way!

I think for father's day I'm going to be buying an off brand pellet smoker. A buddy of mine has this portable one from Wal-Mart, and it's amazing. I think I'll be getting it, and it'll be like $250. I can't wait.

So it looks like I'll finally be up and running out here in the next couple of weeks. Camp Lejeune is processing the paperwork and they should have my contract written up this week, so after that I'll just need to work on the credentials for the base. As long as there's no snag I should be finally doing a daily lunch service Mon-Fri start in early July. Apparently after all my woes and heartache dealing with a commissary kitchen I won't actually need one to operate on the base. They said that since I will prepare and cook everything on the trailer I will be good to go! I can't wait to get off my ass and start cooking...been dealing with the legal stuff over this for more than a year now.

So it looks like I'll finally be up and running out here in the next couple of weeks. Camp Lejeune is processing the paperwork and they should have my contract written up this week, so after that I'll just need to work on the credentials for the base. As long as there's no snag I should be finally doing a daily lunch service Mon-Fri start in early July. Apparently after all my woes and heartache dealing with a commissary kitchen I won't actually need one to operate on the base. They said that since I will prepare and cook everything on the trailer I will be good to go! I can't wait to get off my ass and start cooking...been dealing with the legal stuff over this for more than a year now.
That's awesome news. Congrats.

Reverse seared ribeye.

Spice encrusted, cooked in oven at 250 farenheit for ~ an hour.

Finished on the grill.

No pictures, the family destroyed the meal before I could photograph the evidence.

I think for father's day I'm going to be buying an off brand pellet smoker. A buddy of mine has this portable one from Wal-Mart, and it's amazing. I think I'll be getting it, and it'll be like $250. I can't wait.

So did you get that pellet grill? I know Wal-Mart is selling a pretty moderately priced PitBoss pellet grill. I have heard mixed reviews but for the most part it seems to perform reasonably well.

Reverse seared ribeye.

Spice encrusted, cooked in oven at 250 farenheit for ~ an hour.

Finished on the grill.

No pictures, the family destroyed the meal before I could photograph the evidence.

This is always my problem as my hands are dirty from slicing so I don't want to touch my phone. By the time I grab it for pics most of it's gone and all that's left is a greasy cutting board. I smoked up a 15Lb brisket yesterday for my wife's staff party and not a single bite was left for me. She usually puts aside a small plate of leftovers for me but they gobbled down that brisket. I wish I had some pics as it was one of the best looking briskets I've ever done.

Anyways, since you're doing a reverse sear on the grill, why not smoke them for an hour first and then sear? Smoke them for an hour, tent in foil while you open the vents on the grill and get it searing hot, and then sear. To each their own but just throwing it out there.

This is always my problem as my hands are dirty from slicing so I don't want to touch my phone. By the time I grab it for pics most of it's gone and all that's left is a greasy cutting board. I smoked up a 15Lb brisket yesterday for my wife's staff party and not a single bite was left for me. She usually puts aside a small plate of leftovers for me but they gobbled down that brisket. I wish I had some pics as it was one of the best looking briskets I've ever done.

Anyways, since you're doing a reverse sear on the grill, why not smoke them for an hour first and then sear? Smoke them for an hour, tent in foil while you open the vents on the grill and get it searing hot, and then sear. To each their own but just throwing it out there.

Technological limitations. No smoker, shitty propane grill.

Looking at kamado's right now as a supplement for smoking and roasting outdoors.

Technological limitations. No smoker, shitty propane grill.

Looking at kamado's right now as a supplement for smoking and roasting outdoors.

Propane grills make fine smokers. Wrap some wood chips up in foil tightly, poke a few holes in the foil with a fork, and then place the foil pack on the food grate over the burner. Place your meat to the side and bring it up to temp the same way you currently are...within ~5 minutes you'll start to get a nice bit of smoke.

Either way a kamado is a great way to go. I had the Akorn and it was an amazing little smoker for the price. Then I moved up to a GrillaGrills "Kong" kamado and it was a great piece of equipment. It was a full 22" ceramic kamado from a great company with top notch customer service. A very similar model can be found at Costco right now from PitBoss. The only problem I have with ceramic kamado's is how fragile they are...this fragility made me nervous about taking them to a competition. Not to mention the weight ; damned thing was close to 300Lbs and an absolute god damned nightmare to move.

Back