Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

I'm going to smoke some chicken wings this weekend. Should be delicious! They only take like an hour or 1.5 hours and they're so good.

Wings have always been a bit "iffy" for me because they are so hard to get an internal temp and I always end up over-cooking them just to be safe. What time/temps do you use?

This is funny... I just uploaded that brisket pic to Imgur so I could link it here and forgot to make it "private." Now I'm getting a bunch of idiots commenting on how it looks like a burnt briquette or asking me if I tossed it under the broiler. haha
Haha mine didn't turn out like yours did. I better practice more.

jJuqajU.jpg

sheeeeeeiiiiit, finally got it to post lol
5s91jz405

Last edited:
@mushishi

Looks really good for a brisket in general but that's amazing for a first time brisket. You've got a nice little smoke ring, your bark looks good, and I can see the moisture in the slices.

@mushishi

Looks really good for a brisket in general but that's amazing for a first time brisket. You've got a nice little smoke ring, your bark looks good, and I can see the moisture in the slices.
Wow, thanks for the kind words, and the great advice!

IMG_1119.jpg
IMG_1812.jpg

IMG_1743.jpg

IMG_3580.jpg

Finally figured out photobucket will post more of my bbq soon

Wings have always been a bit "iffy" for me because they are so hard to get an internal temp and I always end up over-cooking them just to be safe. What time/temps do you use?
225 for an hour to 90 mins, whatever wood you want, then throw on the grill for about 5 mins to crisp up. No sauce, all rub, and you can shake them in a sauce bowl if you want afterwards. I usually go by feel on them because they're so small.

Because they're so hard to get a temp on, I don't even bother. I'm sure one of those infrared thermometers would work, but I don't own one.

Haha mine didn't turn out like yours did. I better practice more.

jJuqajU.jpg

sheeeeeeiiiiit, finally got it to post lol
5s91jz405

For your first time, that looks great!.

There's always a debate of cooking fat side up or down. I choose up so the fat melts onto the meat. Then if you foil it, the fat should go down so you can try to keep your bark nice.

For your first time, that looks great!.

There's always a debate of cooking fat side up or down. I choose up so the fat melts onto the meat. Then if you foil it, the fat should go down so you can try to keep your bark nice.
Thanks! My bark had grill marks from smoking fat side up. Any way to avoid that?

And the water pan helped a lot, the brisket cam out really tender and juicy, even though I had trouble controlling temp a few times during the cook.

IMG_1444.jpg
One of my favorites. Smoked prime rib. 5 lbs prime rib roast deboned. 225 until it hit 128 let it rest for about 30 minutes it rose to 135. So damn tender and tasty.

Thanks! My bark had grill marks from smoking fat side up. Any way to avoid that?

And the water pan helped a lot, the brisket cam out really tender and juicy, even though I had trouble controlling temp a few times during the cook.

Not really. More spices/herbs would help, but otherwise it doesn't matter much. If you're cooking at high temp it'll happen no matter what.

No? I think I just logged in? I didn't put a CC anywhere

Weird. None of my photobucket pics worked after they implemented that in....June? I think it was then, and none of my pics on here worked, so I just removed all of them from photobucket.

IMG_1444.jpg
One of my favorites. Smoked prime rib. 5 lbs prime rib roast deboned. 225 until it hit 128 let it rest for about 30 minutes it rose to 135. So damn tender and tasty.

How long does that smoke take?

Forgot to add that I always brine my wings before smoking them just because they're so small and thin relative to other large pieces of meat we usually smoke.

Thinking of doing my first fatty this weekend. Cheddar/'merican blend with a little jalapeno in the middle. 80/20 blend for the meat.

Smoked wings are great. I did 1/2 of them as smoky maple bbq, and the other half with bone suckin rub. Both turned out great.

I got the wings ready outside of the smoker, and when I put them in the temp dropped massively for some reason this time and I didn't know why. Usually if I'm fast it may drop 20 degrees, but it dropped nearly 70, and took forever to get back to temp. It was acting up yesterday.

Smoked for about 1.5 hours, on the grill for about 10 mins, had a random flareup on the smoky maple wings (bottom of the 2nd pic) but my wife and sister loved them.

20170805_172322.jpg

20170806_172108.jpg

@MASShole Looking good dude! I love how there's a completely empty chicken bone on the plate... looks like someone inhaled that wing! haha

I hope your cooker isn't starting to die on you... kind of strange to have such a large temp drop in this hot weather. Good luck with it and I hope it keeps on working for you.

Did a brisket flat this weekend. I don't care what anyone tells me. Low and slow or death.

Back