Social Saturday is BBQ Day V3 - How big is your meat?

Right on... I have a GrillaGrills Kong which is pretty much the same basic model with some upgrades. Since this is your first brisket I would recommend trimming very little and just allowing all of that fat to melt out and keep the meat nice and juicy. I used to trim all my briskets like I would for a competition (almost trimming off all the fat) but for the last couple months I have really gotten back to barely trimming much at all and I think overall the briskets have come out much better.

Do you know if this is a select, choice, or prime brisket?
I got a 9 lb prime. I think it was like $3-4 a lb., around $35. They had larger ones that looked nicer, but for my first time, I think this will be fine.

I didn't trim hardly any fat, only one big chunk on the point. I left the fat cap as is.

I probably could have seasoned more aggressively, but I ended up using a light coating of salt and pepper. I'll use this as a test run and see how it goes. Every brisket I got at a BBQ spot ended up being dry, so hopefully this will taste better. lol

Good to hear on the Pit Boss. I've been eyeing those up for the last two summers. Pretty economical and a slight size upgrade from my BGE. Company called Primo makes some nice looking ceramic grills but whenever I see a brochure without msrp...

I like the Vision Grills kamado that they sell at Sam's Club better because they have an ash tray. I think the prices are similar. They also have a small kamado that would be great for tail gaiting or camping. I might get one of those.

I got my kamado at the end of summer, when they went on sale.

Im at 175 internal temp now. Had a few temp spikes. It smells glorious.

Ok starting the cook at about 6 pm was a big mistake. Lol

Yeah... for a 9 lb prime I would expect 8-10 hours at 225-250. haha Do remember that you can hold it for a long time as long as it stays above 140F internal. Double or triple wrap the whole thing in foil, then double or triple wrap that in some dish towels, and toss the entire thing in a pre-heated cooler (pour boiling water in and close the lid, allowing it to sit as long as you can before you put the meat in it). I've held briskets for well over 6 hours using this method and it has kept the internal temp at around 195.

Good luck dude!

Good to hear on the Pit Boss. I've been eyeing those up for the last two summers. Pretty economical and a slight size upgrade from my BGE. Company called Primo makes some nice looking ceramic grills but whenever I see a brochure without msrp...

Just going on about the Pit Boss kamado, as I said earlier, I have the GrillaGrills Kong which is the same base model as the Pit Boss 24". It's a pretty good kamado but it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the BGE, Primo, or the Kamado Joe. One thing that's kind of a pain in the ass in the top vent. You'll notice on your BGE that your dome lid tapers up to a small area where the lid sits on quite snugly. The Pit Boss doesn't taper... just has a hole cut into the dome for the top vent. This makes it's a pain in mounting / securing the top vent properly without torquing down on the nut and bolt and cracking the ceramic. There's a few easy ways to fix it, but most people do end up modifying it.

Other than the top dome it really is a good kamado. The Kong version has a few upgrades to the nest and casters and has a bit of a better lower vent (in my opinion) but for the most part it all functions the same. I got the heat diffuser plate and with that it really forces the air to move around and over the meat so it forces a nice, even airflow. So basically I'm just saying the PitBoss / Kong is a pretty solid kamado for a good price.

So I smoked my pizza fatty yesterday and it came out OK. I used too much sausage and not enough cheese or sauce, but it was still tasty as all hell. Smoked it at about 250F for ~2 hours until I was getting 165-170F internal temps throughout the entire fatty. I was happy with how well it stayed together both during the cooking process and the slicing process. Next time I think I'll smoke these hot and fast to help render the bacon and make it crispier.

vukrOtT.jpg

Alternatively, you can tightly foil wrap it and put it in the oven at 170 (lowest most ovens go), and leave it for awhile.

Well, the brisket was pretty good. It could have used a little more seasoning, and a little more smoke. I threw a few pecan chips as an afterthought.

I could have trimmed more of the fat cap off, but it's really a moot point since the fat rendered really nicely. Anyone who doesn't like it can just cut it off.

It's pretty tender, better than most brisket I get at BBQ joints near me. I just need to find a good sauce for it. I usually use Sweet Baby Ray's, but I wasn't feeling it for this.

I have no idea what to do with the point. lol

Overall, a good experience. Next brisket will be killer!

Well, the brisket was pretty good. It could have used a little more seasoning, and a little more smoke. I threw a few pecan chips as an afterthought.

I could have trimmed more of the fat cap off, but it's really a moot point since the fat rendered really nicely. Anyone who doesn't like it can just cut it off.

It's pretty tender, better than most brisket I get at BBQ joints near me. I just need to find a good sauce for it. I usually use Sweet Baby Ray's, but I wasn't feeling it for this.

I have no idea what to do with the point. lol

Overall, a good experience. Next brisket will be killer!

It's a start! I like to very heavily season a brisket, wrap it in saran or similar, and leave it overnight in the fridge. Salt, pepper, and I like to add garlic/onion powder, maybe a touch of heat from paprika or a powdered pepper (ancho, serrano, etc.). You can also inject it with low sodium beef broth to add a bit of juice, but it's mostly not necessary.

What do you mean you don't know what to do with the point?

For sauces, Tank posted a bunch earlier. I found Head Country at my local store and enjoyed it a lot.

It's a start! I like to very heavily season a brisket, wrap it in saran or similar, and leave it overnight in the fridge. Salt, pepper, and I like to add garlic/onion powder, maybe a touch of heat from paprika or a powdered pepper (ancho, serrano, etc.). You can also inject it with low sodium beef broth to add a bit of juice, but it's mostly not necessary.

What do you mean you don't know what to do with the point?

For sauces, Tank posted a bunch earlier. I found Head Country at my local store and enjoyed it a lot.

Yes, will definitely up my seasoning game for my next try.

The point is so rich and fatty, I feel like I've gained ten lbs eating a slice or two. Lol. Next time I might just slice the point thin and grill it, Korean BBQ style.

Tried uploading a pic on phone and it's. It working. Will try tomorrow at work.

The point is so rich and fatty, I feel like I've gained ten lbs eating a slice or two. Lol. Next time I might just slice the point thin and grill it, Korean BBQ style.

The point is certainly much more fatty than the flat and lots of people really like it that way (me included). Others do not and that's kind of where the idea of "burnt ends" comes into play. When you're about 75% finished with the cook, you can easily separate the two muscles as the fat layer between them has started to melt. Use your hands (protected with gloves... I like cotton undergloves with a nitrile liner) and a knife and just kind of pull the muscles apart while using a knife to do the actual separating. You can then take the point, season the newly exposed underside, and cut it into about 1" squares. Then put it back on the smoker and allow it to cook until the fat has rendered (melted) and those squares become the most tasty thing in the known universe! ; ) Using this method the burnt ends will usually end up taking about an hour or so longer than the flat... so just keep checking on both.

Good luck dude!

Slice after you smoke it? Or slice before smoking and just grill it that way?

And yes, burnt ends are great, but I actually don't like them. I know, I'm weird.

ABjc6gO.jpg

Brisket I smoked yesterday. I kept it right at 250-260F for about 9 hours until I got a very good easy probe entry at about 203F internal temp. I basically didn't trim a single thing off of this brisket before I rubbed it and smoked it. Kind of tried the "minimal" approach and holy shit was this bad boy juicy and tender like all hell! I smoked it over oak and pecan wood using my Johnson Smokers Ultimate Chargrill Trailer offset smoker.

I have a video of the cross section cut but I can't get it to upload anywhere for some reason. I'll figure it out and post it in a bit.

This is funny... I just uploaded that brisket pic to Imgur so I could link it here and forgot to make it "private." Now I'm getting a bunch of idiots commenting on how it looks like a burnt briquette or asking me if I tossed it under the broiler. haha

Slice after you smoke it? Or slice before smoking and just grill it that way?

And yes, burnt ends are great, but I actually don't like them. I know, I'm weird.
Slice raw, slightly frozen. Then grill. Koreans call it chadol, and it's heavenly.

o.jpg

kogiya-korean-bbq-review-1_web.jpg

I like to render out the fat until it gets crispy like bacon.

Lets see if this works :

fS5LuNm.gif

Edit : Cool. Nice smoke ring and juicy and tender like all hell. That bark was amazing... kind of hesitant to post the rub recipe though as it's what I'm using for the beef for my BBQ business. haha Lets just say 50/50 salt/pepper mix with a bit of garlic, a bit of chipotle, and 2 bits of celery seed. ; )

Lets see if this works :

fS5LuNm.gif

Edit : Cool. Nice smoke ring and juicy and tender like all hell. That bark was amazing... kind of hesitant to post the rub recipe though as it's what I'm using for the beef for my BBQ business. haha Lets just say 50/50 salt/pepper mix with a bit of garlic, a bit of chipotle, and 2 bits of celery seed. ; )

d587e4991a4d7cf5ab0141603aa889e31e458617595135b08ade5668c181cdcb.jpg

Slice raw, slightly frozen. Then grill. Koreans call it chadol, and it's heavenly.

o.jpg

kogiya-korean-bbq-review-1_web.jpg

I like to render out the fat until it gets crispy like bacon.

Well, that just looks fantastic.

I'm going to smoke some chicken wings this weekend. Should be delicious! They only take like an hour or 1.5 hours and they're so good.

Lets see if this works :

fS5LuNm.gif

oh my god..

Back