[satire] tag on facebook

MortalWombat

Vombatus Sherdoggus
Reaction score
People ask and Facebook listens. Satirical news stories (such as the ones from the Onion) have been confusing people for too long, and now Facebook is trialing a [satire] tag on posts from these sites - to alert the unaware to the potential dangers.

You can read more about it here:
http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitcho...ince-users-think-the-onion-articles-are-true/

Or in this very serious article
[satire] http://www.theonion.com/articles/area-facebook-user-incredibly-stupid,36712/

facebook-satire.jpg

I wouldn't mind the opposite, something like [nojoketotallyserious] tag. Sometimes I read a news story, and just can't believe it's real, and then make jokes about people who do, and then... look really stupid. So yeah... good thing? Bad thing? Your favourite [satire] source?

Would be funny if the whole thing was satire, including the Onion satire of the satire.

Idiots on my news feed will believe anything
Everyday I got some moron posting an obviously bullshit story like " Oooh uh uh can yall believe this shit!!"
And then 14 to 80 other geniuses comment on the bullshit

Was this really necessary? I guess it's really like that Honest Slogans picture

The Onion: Real News for Stupid People

Satire is best left to the people who can identify satire

lol people are so dumb

It is necessary.

I've seen people say 'durrr, why not just research what you read, durrr' but some of us have stuff to do. If a tag will save me 2 seconds reading some lame article, I'm all for it.

Now Americans will just have to learn the word "satire"

Satire is best left to the people who can identify satire

Nailed it.

People that fall for Onion articles don't know what the word satire even means.

I don't even like the idea of a "sarcasm font", on forums or texting or whatever. The whole beauty of sarcasm is to NOT identify something as such, but deploy it in a manner that people will pick up on. Or be fooled by. It's an artform, and either way, it shouldn't out itself by being a different font.

Back