Sanos videos - 17/07/17

When a Dane meets a Norwegian, what language do they converse in?

I enjoyed that sparring clip. You kept him backing up, showed good subtle footwork and had a pretty good guard. Your hands dropped at times but you seemed pretty aware of it and got them up when you needed too. You looked in control of the whole round.
There was a slight opening behind you right as previously pointed out but you seemed to pull it back to cover up when needed to, but if the guy through more combos his left hook might of had a little more success.

You have a nice flow to pushing out combos and then pooping back out and moving off at a nice angle while staying at a good range. Just gotta work on getting those kicks looking as comfortable as your hands look.

Thanks for sharing
Yep, kicks need work and right hand needs to stay up when moving in. Kicks are getting a little better though. Thanks! Work in progress.

hey man, I remember in one of your old sparring video post you mentioned you we're gonna try to follow up with the left hook after smothering their range with the elbow.
almeida-and-bhop-smoothering-range.gif

I saw you actually did at at 2:05 of your first sparring video too. Nice!
Haha, exactly. I've been working on it. Haha cool of you to notice! Maybe it's time to add another punch to it as well, but the right upper, left hook from that position works pretty good and flows well.

English, or their own languages. The two languages are distinct, but still somewhat simular, most can understand both, but can't speak them necessarily.

That evasion at 2:11 impressed me.

I think you flow well, it seems that the variety of your arsenal is good. I see good timing, good reflexes and good balance.

I saw an anterior video of you sparring and it seems like you have improved a lot.

Thinks that I see possible improvement: Your stance is too wide when you are in kicking range, this can cause problems with hard lowkicks.

Sometimes you drop the hands with the lowkick.

I am curious to see a hard sparring video.
Yeah I'm getting a little better, takes time though. Thanks.
Yep, stance is wide so when I'm dealing with heavy low kickers that is a little bit of a problem, but I've become better at checking kicks.

Dropping my hand when kicking is a BIG issue atm. I'm completely open most of the time. I'm not exactly sure if I want to extend my hand to create the space and cover while kicking, or, if I want to keep a tight guard (seems harder to balance that way). When I've found out what works best I'll drill it. Need to not expose myself when kicking like that.

Yep, kicks need work and right hand needs to stay up when moving in. Kicks are getting a little better though. Thanks! Work in progress.

Haha, exactly. I've been working on it. Haha cool of you to notice! Maybe it's time to add another punch to it as well, but the right upper, left hook from that position works pretty good and flows well.

English, or their own languages. The two languages are distinct, but still somewhat simular, most can understand both, but can't speak them necessarily.

I have a hard time understanding danish. If they talk fast, its almost impossible. I can read danish without any problem.

I don't see the right hand being low. I wish I was that disciplined with my right hand.

When Sano is behind his jab he's pretty much invulnerable to the left hook. With this partner he has complete control of the outside angle. His partner would have to cross the center line to reach the head. Or slap. Or follow the jab of Sano back with a leaping left hook. The partner's only success was from countering the right hand with the left hook, or with a check hook on his way out. I don't know a way to keep my right hand up while I'm trowing a right hand, so that just leaves us with being a little more aware when you're in danger of being check hooked.

@Sano I really think you would be missing a great opportunity if you don't try to roll under this guys left hooks. At 1:03 you could have rolled & stepped to your right. Same thing at 2:02, and 2:54. You did exactly what I'm talking about at 1:31.

You're already pretty safe on the inside. You're hidden from most punches once you get into the position you like. The left hook is the only punch that's viable against you. If you find a few ways to make the left hook a trap then you'll force people into fighting you for position before they can throw anything.

Could use English or whatever is the strongest common language between them.

Spoke to some Polish dudes in Amsterdam using our common language of Spanish lol.

you're too much better than your sparring partner to give useful feedback I feel, it would be better to see someone pushing you. He was mainly covering up and looking at the ground when you were hitting him

So, managed to get this recorded today. It was just a short round. Working a bit on not crowding my punches. Makes me look better than I am because my sparring partner was tired at this point. I did some bagwork afterwards as we were uneven numbers, and then I sparred with a pro. My phone unfortunately didn't have battery, I really wanted to see it because I got my ass kicked. I was fatigueing hard. Well, I got hit way too much that is. He likes to spar hard and so do I, he's smaller though but he has power. He told me afterwards that he upped the tempo because I was hitting hard as well. Didn't really notice it, but I was fighting for survival lol. I need to stop getting into these slugfest sparring matches. Got rocked a little bit and have a slight headache. Not worth it in the long run. I just can't help myself sometimes. A shame I didn't get it recorded, I want to see what I did wrong (besides infighting and headhunting with the shorter fighter).

Anyway, sparring:

Bagwork vid (it's hard to see because I'm standing far back):

You got some fast hands dude.

Thanks man :)

No problem man. That boxing training when injured paid off. Your hands flows. I have been watching your videos for inspiration for when I start training again.

No problem man. That boxing training when injured paid off. Your hands flows. I have been watching your videos for inspiration for when I start training again.
Ha that's cool. Good luck with your training! I still have a lot to learn, but slow and steady. Dealing with a minor concussion atm so taking some time off.

Last edited:
Just recorded some training today. Working a little bit more on using my hips and not leaving my right foot behind me on the cross as @Sinister adviced.

Did a little shadowboxing and some bagwork. It's nothing special, just working on a few things. Don't mind me sounding like I'm completely out of breath, I've been sick and still have a cold.

Shadowboxing:

Bagwork/shadowboxing:

Need to work on: I still stand vary narrow and line my feet up, and still do not get the foot far enough under me. I cross my feet sometimes, but mostly when I imagine I'm out of range. I have a hard time pivoting with a good base after the left hook on the bag. I have a little difficulty working long range on a bag. I don't get full extension on my jab at times. I arm punch at times.

Having that right foot under me felt awesome. I have a lot more distance with the right hand, it feels more powerful, more stable and my left hook felt a lot stronger as a follow up. It's crazy how something like that can make such a big difference. I'll keep practicing it.

Any comment or critique is very welcomed.

Last edited:
Just recorded some training today. Working a little bit more on using my hips and not leaving my right foot behind me on the cross as @Sinister adviced.

Did a little shadowboxing and some bagwork. It's nothing special, just working on a few things. Don't mind me sounding like I'm completely out of breath, I've been sick and still have a cold.

Shadowboxing:

Bagwork/shadowboxing:

Need to work on: I still stand vary narrow and line my feet up, and still do not get the foot far enough under me. I cross my feet sometimes, but mostly when I imagine I'm out of range. I have a hard time pivoting with a good base after the left hook on the bag. I have a little difficulty working long range on a bag. I don't get full extension on my jab at times. I arm punch at times.

Having that right foot under me felt awesome. I have a lot more distance with the right hand, it feels more powerful, more stable and my left hook felt a lot stronger as a follow up. It's crazy how something like that can make such a big difference. I'll keep practicing it.

Eww man you have smith machine at your gym/training place.

Looks pretty good overall, more fluid than the last sparring vid you posted (few months back)
I don't know if its the angle from the video, but it looks like your hook kinda arcs up? I find that when my hook isn't parallel to the ground my wrist gets kinda messed up, if that doesn't happen to you, carry on.

Eww man you have smith machine at your gym/training place.

Looks pretty good overall, more fluid than the last sparring vid you posted (few months back)
I don't know if its the angle from the video, but it looks like your hook kinda arcs up? I find that when my hook isn't parallel to the ground my wrist gets kinda messed up, if that doesn't happen to you, carry on.
Haha, it's the most crappy gym ever. It's at one of the buildings at my school in the basement, but it's free! They have a bag and they have a squat rack as well (besides the smith) and dummbells, so I manage with a little creativity.

Yeah I guess it does kinda arch, but I don't have any problems with my wrists at all. One of the few things I don't have problems with haha! Thanks for stopping by J123! Are you going to put some stuff up at some point?

Haha, it's the most crappy gym ever. It's at one of the buildings at my school in the basement, but it's free! They have a bag and they have a squat rack as well (besides the smith) and dummbells, so I manage with a little creativity.

Yeah I guess it does kinda arch, but I don't have any problems with my wrists at all. One of the few things I don't have problems with haha! Thanks for stopping by J123! Are you going to put some stuff up at some point?
Smith machine = gym aids

Maybe. If I feel my next fight or two in 2017 needs some work, aside from my coach's insight, I might put it up

Smith machine = gym aids

Maybe. If I feel my next fight or two in 2017 needs some work, aside from my coach's insight, I might put it up
I was thinking more for fun, but I understand. Good luck with your fights when the time comes!

Last edited:

Shadowboxing:

Bagwork/shadowboxing:

big improvement with the rear hand. Criticisms. After defense e.g. rolling, you could counter more. Your rolling could be faster with more leg bend, it is a high-energy move.

Try to add more variety into your punches and footwork. IMO you should incorporate pivoting with your lead foot more, it's one of the most important footwork fundamentals and it's also a basis for certain variations of punches (pivoting left hook, check hook, jab + pivot away).

For example what Cotto does here at roughly 0:45:

Lomachenko does a lot of these pivoting motions both to his left and to his right:

The point is to rotate your entire body on the tip of the toes of your lead foot with minimal effort, it looks easy but it's actually a bit harder to do and the more you practice it the more it will come to you naturally and the more balanced you will be during this motion.

You should buy some boxing shoes, regular shoes have just too much grip.

Another great example of shadowboxing, especially the sequence from 2:00 on:

From 2:00 on Loma throws a combo going forward then steps away, pivots and creates a totally new angle, throws another combo, baits (imaginary) opponent to the right, baits him again to the left, goes to the right again, sets up the left hand only to throw a check hook and pivot to the right. This is how he drills his "matrix" style.

This is the kind of "realistic" shadow boxing that really benefits you, you need to constantly imagine these scenarios and how to control them with footwork. IMO while shadowboxing you need to be focused more on footwork than on punches. You can drill punches on mitts and heavy back but shadowboxing is the best for drilling footwork.

Back