Sanos videos - 17/07/17

Sano

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
EDIT: Okay I'll just use this thread for a while for when I'm updating something so I don't have to make a new thread each time. It'll be posted further down.

Hey guys. I was just down in the "workout" room (it's a stretch calling it that) in the basement at my apartment complex. I know it's a terrible room with a crappy bag and no space, still I did a little recording. Don't mind the kicks and knees, I suck at them. Only thing I can do pretty well is a lowkick, but the bag is too small for that. Anyway, that's why I'm practicing them!

Shadowboxing to start:

I got a tennis ball and decided to do some old drills I haven't done in a long time. I wanted to show them as well, because I think they are pretty great. When I used to box (however short that time was) we did them most sessions. I now see all the benefits and I think I have a better level so I can utilize them a little better. Hand eye co-ordination, footwork, aiding the snap and looseness in punches (when throwing against the wall and when catching). I'd highly recommend them. Also a tennis ball is great to use under the chin to keep it down (I need that). Anyway, it's hard to do it in this room as you can imagine, and I didn't want to make too much noise, but you get the point:

Just some bagwork. I tried to keep the intensity down a tad because I can't put power behind my right hand. I sprained two fingers 3 months ago and they just wont heal. I tried resting it for 2 months, but that didn't really do anything:

Any criticism, thoughts or feedback is appreciated. Feel free.

I think I am still a little too heavy and forward on the front foot sometimes (on the pivots, after lead uppercuts and when slipping in particular) and I need a little more purpose and variety in my combos and setups.

Last edited:
you need to fully extend your punches, i dont know what you are doing now but when punching, your arms need to be straight and shoulder out of the "pocket"

I have no real insight, but you have good posture and I feel like you are almost too tall when punching. Idk though

By watching your techniques, combos and the way you bend the wrist i can tell one fighter that serves as an "inspiration" for you ... and your av gives it away ;)
You have good fundamentals and you move well for a big guy. You threw several really good jabs and right straight.
What i could possibily suggest you is to variate your tempo, increasing your intensity from time to time.
Also, when shadowboxing, work on striking whilst moving forward and backwards.
Tbh with you, this is only my personal opinion, cause my coach screams his lungs out and makes me wear ankle weights almost every single training session, cause i try to improve striking while moving forward, backwards, counter and deflect, and i sometimes throw looping punches.
My coach is not amused by this, not one bit. But i feel its very important not to solely be prepared for a stationary target, cause its funny watching my coach get mad and cause wearing ankle weights makes the training a little harder, i keep on doing it :D
Its allways good to see you and i allways apreciate your vídeos. I must say tho , that im kinda "sad" to witness that your Samurai style hair is gone ! You said you were gonna do it tho.
Anyway , when is Sano vs Frode scheduled for ?
Cheers

Be nice. I think he look good. Anyway i am going to try to get a real fight in denmark. With the help of sanos gym.

Technical sparring with sano and the others at rumble

you need to fully extend your punches, i dont know what you are doing now but when punching, your arms need to be straight and shoulder out of the "pocket"
While shadowboxing? I'm not sure I agree. Depends on a lot of things.

I definitely crowd my straight punches sometimes because I like to move forward a lot. I'm trying to work on getting better at the inside game, but I also need to get better at keeping my distance with straight shots. You need to be able to extend your punches fully, I see what you mean, but I don't like extending all the way when shadowboxing. Risk of overextending the elbow and you lose the flow. Watch pro boxers shadowbox, they rarely extend them fully, but again it depends on what they are working on. I do see your point though and will take it into consideration!

I have no real insight, but you have good posture and I feel like you are almost too tall when punching. Idk though
Yep, I do stand a little tall. I was pretty sore in my legs, but honestly it's mostly lazyness. I try to work on my posture, so thanks for noticing. You do have some insight my man, I've seen you kick ass!

By watching your techniques, combos and the way you bend the wrist i can tell one fighter that serves as an "inspiration" for you ... and your av gives it away ;)
You have good fundamentals and you move well for a big guy. You threw several really good jabs and right straight.
What i could possibily suggest you is to variate your tempo, increasing your intensity from time to time.
Also, when shadowboxing, work on striking whilst moving forward and backwards.
Tbh with you, this is only my personal opinion, cause my coach screams his lungs out and makes me wear ankle weights almost every single training session, cause i try to improve striking while moving forward, backwards, counter and deflect, and i sometimes throw looping punches.
My coach is not amused by this, not one bit. But i feel its very important not to solely be prepared for a stationary target, cause its funny watching my coach get mad and cause wearing ankle weights makes the training a little harder, i keep on doing it :D
Its allways good to see you and i allways apreciate your vídeos. I must say tho , that im kinda "sad" to witness that your Samurai style hair is gone ! You said you were gonna do it tho.
Anyway , when is Sano vs Frode scheduled for ?
Cheers
That's funny, because I don't try to emulate him at all haha. I don't think that's very smart for most people, because he relied on athleticism a lot more than most are able to. But I see what you mean haha, that new video of Fedor shadowboxing before Hendo I think was amazing. The floated above the ground. Too bad he threw it out the window when the fight started. I try to drill the fundamentals all the time, so I'm glad that you think they are alright. I did throw myself around a little more before I tore my ACL, but not anymore. I move "ok" for a big guy. Not great at all, yet, but much better than I used to.

Yeah I know what you mean about forwards and backwards. I don't really like moving backwards at all, but I am starting to work on it sometimes. Didn't work on it here that much though. It looks prettier, and it's good to be able to do it, to give different looks. I'll keep working!

Hehehe, yep Samurai hair is gone, and it's amazing. Free at last! It looked alright, but it was a pain in the ass. I can actually see punches now! :D

Thanks for commenting my friend!

Rousey-esque, I hope falch doesn't hurt him
Come at me bro!

Be nice. I think he look good. Anyway i am going to try to get a real fight in denmark. With the help of sanos gym.

Technical sparring with sano and the others at rumble
They can say what they want, I wont get pissy. Unlike some folks around here HEHE :D

I'm not a world beater by any means, I know that. At the end of the day, I do this for fun. I do want to be the best that I can be though, and I work towards that, but really what I want to do is learn and grow. That's the great thing about martial arts. There is always room to grow.

Anyway, cool! Looking forward to seeing you in the gym!

Last edited:
Your Hooks. I feel your hooks could use more attention (especially the rear). I feel if you focus more on hooks for a round or 50-100x reps each workout to help break it down more, for the purpose of developing greater power. For the lead hook, if you put a bit more weight on your lead leg when throwing them/shifting your weight forward a bit more to generate greater ground strength, as well as the position of your landing fist and how you turn it. Also doubling up more on them.

For the rear hook, I would just probably devote a round or reps working on it to develop the technique and feel the distance more.

Also a cool idea, maybe getting 3 different tape colors or chalk (whatever sticks to the your floor) and creating a circle around the bag to break down distance more. Red Inside, Blue mid range, Green out. Just ideas here.
Looking good though! Getting there!

It seems like you're slacking off on weight shifts and decisive upper body rotations, does that sound right? Like sometimes you throw a powerful punch, but you arm punch a lot. Basically you hit like a girl. :)

Edit: And I do realize you said you were trying to keep the intensity down, but throwing arm punches is going to get you in a bad habit I think. Better to throw slow, exaggerated power punches rather than quick dinky punches IMO.

It seems like you're slacking off on weight shifts and decisive upper body rotations, does that sound right? Like sometimes you throw a powerful punch, but you arm punch a lot. Basically you hit like a girl. :)

Edit: And I do realize you said you were trying to keep the intensity down, but throwing arm punches is going to get you in a bad habit I think. Better to throw slow, exaggerated power punches rather than quick dinky punches IMO.
I see what you mean. I like to set things up with light punches, especially setting up the body shots, so that part is deliberate. I think it's a bit of both, because I do arm punch the straight ones when closing the distance sometimes. I couldn't put any power behind my right hand punches though cause I'm dealing with sprained fingers.

So, managed to get this recorded today. It was just a short round. Working a bit on not crowding my punches. Makes me look better than I am because my sparring partner was tired at this point. I did some bagwork afterwards as we were uneven numbers, and then I sparred with a pro. My phone unfortunately didn't have battery, I really wanted to see it because I got my ass kicked. I was fatigueing hard. Well, I got hit way too much that is. He likes to spar hard and so do I, he's smaller though but he has power. He told me afterwards that he upped the tempo because I was hitting hard as well. Didn't really notice it, but I was fighting for survival lol. I need to stop getting into these slugfest sparring matches. Got rocked a little bit and have a slight headache. Not worth it in the long run. I just can't help myself sometimes. A shame I didn't get it recorded, I want to see what I did wrong (besides infighting and headhunting with the shorter fighter).

Anyway, sparring:

Bagwork vid (it's hard to see because I'm standing far back):

Last edited:
Nice volume striking. I like the way your combinations flow.

Nice volume striking. I like the way your combinations flow.
Thanks! Again, you should see the vid of me getting tagged left and right haha! Maybe next time. I need to not spar hard for a few weeks though, let that brain rest.

You keep your right hand a little low for my taste. Your sparring partner opened with a big lead hook because he saw it as well. A more experienced guy is going to notice this and bait you in before throw that same punch.

I liked your rhythm and off rhythm combinations a lot

You keep your right hand a little low for my taste. Your sparring partner opened with a big lead hook because he saw it as well. A more experienced guy is going to notice this and bait you in before throw that same punch.

I liked your rhythm and off rhythm combinations a lot
Yeah I tend to keep my hands too low at times when moving in. That's how I get caught with hooks probably. Funny, I tried moving a little more in and out here and it felt much better than just walking forward as I always do. A little more controlled and unpredictable pressure. The more looks you can give the opponent the better.

Yeah I really like changing the tempo and speed/power of the punches. Still get a little too lax with some of my "throwaway" punches on the inside sometime and get caught though.

That evasion at 2:11 impressed me.

I think you flow well, it seems that the variety of your arsenal is good. I see good timing, good reflexes and good balance.

I saw an anterior video of you sparring and it seems like you have improved a lot.

Thinks that I see possible improvement: Your stance is too wide when you are in kicking range, this can cause problems with hard lowkicks.

Sometimes you drop the hands with the lowkick.

I am curious to see a hard sparring video.

I enjoyed that sparring clip. You kept him backing up, showed good subtle footwork and had a pretty good guard. Your hands dropped at times but you seemed pretty aware of it and got them up when you needed too. You looked in control of the whole round.
There was a slight opening behind you right as previously pointed out but you seemed to pull it back to cover up when needed to, but if the guy through more combos his left hook might of had a little more success.

You have a nice flow to pushing out combos and then pooping back out and moving off at a nice angle while staying at a good range. Just gotta work on getting those kicks looking as comfortable as your hands look.

Thanks for sharing

Last edited:
So, managed to get this recorded today. It was just a short round. Working a bit on not crowding my punches. Makes me look better than I am because my sparring partner was tired at this point. I did some bagwork afterwards as we were uneven numbers, and then I sparred with a pro. My phone unfortunately didn't have battery, I really wanted to see it because I got my ass kicked. I was fatigueing hard. Well, I got hit way too much that is. He likes to spar hard and so do I, he's smaller though but he has power. He told me afterwards that he upped the tempo because I was hitting hard as well. Didn't really notice it, but I was fighting for survival lol. I need to stop getting into these slugfest sparring matches. Got rocked a little bit and have a slight headache. Not worth it in the long run. I just can't help myself sometimes. A shame I didn't get it recorded, I want to see what I did wrong (besides infighting and headhunting with the shorter fighter).

Anyway, sparring:

Bagwork vid (it's hard to see because I'm standing far back):

hey man, I remember in one of your old sparring video post you mentioned you we're gonna try to follow up with the left hook after smothering their range with the elbow.
almeida-and-bhop-smoothering-range.gif

I saw you actually did at at 2:05 of your first sparring video too. Nice!

Back