Sano1's Training LOG - Working towards a goal

So! Had my debut as an instructor on two teams. One with people who have back and/or neck pain and the other is a fitness boxing one. It went alright, I've taken notes and there are some things I have to look at and improve for next week. It went okay, but I want to make it great. I really have to change my mindset in regards to fitness boxing and make it a little more exciting, although I want them to learn real boxing as well. I need to up my energy a little. I also had a presentation at school earlier today, so safe to say I was a little wired all day and yesterday.

After a few hours of instructing, I was at the gym anyway so I did a little training :)

"Warmup":
30 minutes of bagwork, and a little shadowboxing.

Squats:
Warmup
5x80kg
5x100kg
5x110kg
4x120kg rep PR!
1x130kg
1x137,5kg PR!
5x100kg ATG
5x60kg ATG paused

My legs were spent haha! Feels good to get a PR on the squat, although it was a small one. I feel like I'm starting to improve my squat and it feels pretty good! Only bad thing is my SI/hip hurts like hell right now, but it'll pass. I got a little out of position because I was tired.

Ended with stretching for about 15 min.

I haven't been doing much strenght training these last few weeks, I've upped my MMA training though. Been sparring regularly and it feels great. My standup is getting sharper.

I had my two classes again today, and I learned from my notes last time. It went a lot better, very smooth and everyone seemed happy with the exercises and especially a guided relaxation I did in the neck/back class at the end. The boxing one, they are really liking learning some combos and technique.

I did a little training myself afterwards :)

Warmup:
Shadow boxing
Air squats with broom

Deadlift:
Warmup
5x100kg
5x120kg
5x140kg
1x160kg
1x170kg
1x177,5kg PR!

Felt alright, good to hit a PR. I haven't deadlifted in a few weeks actually, but it went up.

I had someone record my PR. It is not pretty, probably the ugliest PR so far, but that's alright.

Benchpress:
Warmup
6x70kg
5x90kg
5x90kg
3x95kg
10x60kg paused

Getting stronger in the bench too.

Ended with some lat pull downs, some walking lunges, some sidesteps and some rotator cuff work with bands(love that for my posture as well).

The DL wasn't that ugly. And great speed, definitely not your 1rm.
Maybe not, but I like to do them a little more thoughtful. I should have sucked in more air, braced my core a little more, had my hips slight lower, chest a little more up and sat a tiny bit more back. Haha, it's only slight things :D I rushed it a little bit because I wanted to get it.

I hope I have more. It does go up pretty fast. My sticking point is off the floor. If I can get it off the floor, which is the hardest point for me, I can lock it out no problem. Aiming for that 180 within a month! My goal for the year was 180-190kg so it's going well.

Thanks for chiming in my man!

Last edited:
Maybe not, but I like to do them a little more thoughtful. I should have sucked in more air, braced my core a little more, had my hips slight lower, chest a little more up and sat a tiny bit more back. Haha, it's only slight things :D I rushed it a little bit because I wanted to get it.

I hope I have more. It does go up pretty fast. My sticking point is off the floor. If I can get it off the floor, which is the hardest point for me, I can lock it out no problem. Aiming for that 180 within a month! My goal for the year was 180-190kg so it's going well.

Thanks for chiming in my man!

Ah well sometimes it's good to just grip and rip. You definitely have 180 in the bag, if not more. Just need to sort your mind out on a given day, biggest obstacle for us all.

Went to the gym today for the first time in a while. I have been at the MMA gym mostly and have had a lot of school work to do. I grappled/rolled friday for the first time in 5 years against the pros, for about 1½ hours straight rolling 5 minute rounds, and man was I jacked up these last few days. Shoulder hurt, neck strained, skin scraped off knees and sore all over. I know it's been a long time and I was excited to see how my strenght gains would help me. Safe to say they did jack shit lol. Doesn't matter how strong you are if you don't have the technique and gas after 2-3 rolls getting dominated by legit fighters. It did help me that I'm not weak in some positions, but only against the lower level guys.

Again, my theory seems to hold. Barbell strenght is overrated in grappling. I need to grapple more. Still, I love lifting and I want to reach my goals, but I'm struggleling with how I can improve in both lifting, striking and grappling. I don't recover very well, so I don't think I can train everyday. Hmm.. time will tell. I really want to focus on MMA, so I'll try to make the lifting work.

Anyway! Training went as followed:

Warmup:
Rowing for 15 minutes
Light mobility

Squats:
Warmup
6x80kg
5x100kg
5x100kg
3x120kg
5x100kg
10x60kg paused with an explosive concentric

Damn I was struggleling on this one. 3x120kg was a grind. Only the second time I've squatted in a month I think, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Band work for my shoulders, specifically the external rotators and scapula adductors, I did pullups in between

Pullups:
6xBW
6xBW
6xBW

Cardio:
10km bike ride.

Last edited:
Went to grappling again the other day, an hour straight rolling, got destroyed again. These guys are legit. I talked to one of the guys who was very strong and he looked like someone who could pull big weights. I asked him if he did any powerlifting, and he told me he never touched weights, but when he has tried it he has an affinity for it. He did however grapple for 10 years. I also talked to another pro MMA from down there who has done some barbell training, and I mentioned how I've been building my barbell strenght and such. He asked me "how much does it help?", I replied "none", he then said, "yeah, I know right?".

I don't doubt that it's an advantage being strong, but grappling and barbell training are so far apart. It has really opened my eyes. Striking I feel I have a good sense of, but grappling is another beast.

Anyway, I did some strenght training today lol :)

Warmup:
15 min bike ride

Squats:
Warmup
6x80kg
5x100kg
3x110kg
3x110kg
5x80kg paused
5x60kg paused

Benchpress:
Warmup
10x60kg paused
6x80kg
4x90kg
5x80kg

Walking lunges, 6xBW pullups with leg raise, band work for shoulders
Walking lunges with kettlebells 6xBW pullups with leg raises, band work for shoulders
Walking lunges with kettlebells 6xBW pullups with leg raises, band work for shoulders

Cardio:
25 min shadowboxing/grappling

Sauna.

So. I haven't been doing a lot of strenght training lately. I've been focusing on my standup and groundgame, which I definitely need to do. However, I did a little training today after work :)

Bagwork for about 20 min

Squats:
Warmup
8x80kg
5x100kg
5x100kg
5x100kg
5x60kg paused

Woah, the 100kg ones was actually very hard haha. I guess the time off from lifting showed. Well also I had two hour physical classes before training, but still.

Strict OHP:
Warmup
5x40kg
5x50kg
5x50kg
5x50kg

Decently heavy.

Benchpress:
Warmup
8x60kg
5x72kg
5x82kg
5x82kg
3x87kg

Felt heavy.

Did some walking lunges, some pullups and some leg curls as well, along with some stretching. Felt good.

I managed to record four sparring videos a few days ago, which I posted in the standup section. I'll just leave one here as well :)

So, it's been a while since I've logged.

I've been learning grappling and getting some good sparring in both there and in standup. I would like to do more, but school has really started up again and it's pretty intense.

I rarely strenght train anymore, but I went today to test where I was at. I needed to let off some steam too.

Warmup:
10 min bike ride
Light stretching

Squats:
Warmup
5x75kg
5x95kg
5x105kg
3x115kg
2x125kg
1x135kg (was too high)
0x135kg (missed it)

Deadlift:
Warmup
5x75kg
5x95kg
3x115kg
3x135kg
1x155kg
1x165kg
0x175kg miss

Benchpress:
Warmup
5x80kg
5x80kg
5x80kg

Also did:
Walking lunges, pullups, leg raises, oblique work, pushups, OHP press and some medial shoulder work. Ended with some stretching and sauna.

All things considered it went alright. I don't feel I've lost that much strenght really. Benchpress feels the hardest and my DL is a little rusty, but otherwise it's good. I've also lost about 2-3kg(4,5-6,6lbs) since starting training MMA again, so I guess that plays into it as well.

I've been training all summer, but have been changing things up a little bit. I am still doing MMA, but having a little break because I sprained two of my knuckles. It's taking forever to heal, oh well. A lot of stuff that can be improved in the meantime.

Warmup:
- Walking BW lunges, sidesteps, calf raises, squat variations and a little upper body mobility.
- Jump rope.

Jump training:
- CMJ 3x5 reps, focus on triple extension.
- 30 inch Box Jumps 3x5 reps, focus on landing soft.
- 24 inch Drop Jumps 5 reps, focus on absorbing and landing soft.

Gymnastics:
- Deck Squats 3x7 reps + Skiers.
- Arch Body Holds 5x30 seconds + Hip Circles.
- Tuck Ups 4x12 reps + Stiff Legged Windmills with about 5lbs.
- Wrist Warmup/Exercises
- Tripod 4x42 seconds + Seated Shoulder Flexion with bar.

PL/Weightlifting:
- Overhead Squat with bar.
- Pause Squat 1x8 reps at 60kg.
- Squats 5x5 80kg, last one paused.

Misc/rehab/prehab:
- Prone Leg Curls 3x10 reps with 14kg, I need to isolate my hamstrings more to counter some of the anterior knee pain secondary to my ACL replacement.
- Single Prone Leg Curls 3x10 reps with 5kg, with injured leg.
- Circuit of Lateral Raises, Push Press and Rows, dat pump.
- Stretching (hip flexors, quads, glutes, obliques, pecs) and foam rolling for a while.

Last edited:
Warmup:
- Jump rope. Did 200 consecutive swings. Will try to reach 500 uninterrupted.
- Walking BW lunges, sidesteps, calf raises and a little upper body mobility.

Jump training:
- CMJ 2x5 reps, focus on triple extension.
- 30 inch Box Jumps 2x5 reps, focus on landing soft.
- 24 inch Drop Jumps 5 reps, focus on absorbing and landing soft.

PL/Weightlifting:
- Warmup
- RDL 3x5 reps 60kg
- Deadlift 1x5 reps 80kg, 2x5 reps 100kg

Gymnastics:
- Deck Squats 4x8 reps + Skiers.
- Arch Body Holds 4x42 seconds + Hip Circles.
- Tuck Ups 3x12 reps + Stiff Legged Windmills with about 5lbs.
- Tripod 4x60 seconds + Seated Shoulder Flexion.

Misc/rehab/prehab:
- Circuit of BW Bulgarian Split Squats, bandwork for the rotator cuff and trap 3/lower trap, Lunges and Pullups with straight leg raises.
- Light lower body mobility.

+ Sauna :)

Last edited:
Warmup:
- Jump rope.
- Drilling footwork and ducking, slipping and weaving.
- Light shadowboxing.
- Drop squats.

Jump training:
- CMJ 3x5 reps, focus on triple extension.
- 30 inch Box Jumps 3x5 reps, focus on landing soft.
- A few hurdle jumps.

PL/Weightlifting:
- Warmup with broom, deep squat.
- Pause Squat 1x10 reps at 60kg.
- Pause Squat 5x5 reps at 80kg.

Gymnastics:
- Bent Hollow Body Holds 5x30 seconds + Cat Cow.
- Scapular Shrugs 4x15 reps + Swivel Hips.
- Hinge Rows 5x7 reps + Upright Lat Lean.
- Pushups 4x12 reps + Xiaopeng Forward.

Misc/rehab/prehab:
- Prone Leg Curls 3x10 reps with 14 kg.
- Prone Single Leg Curl 3x10 reps with 5 kg focusing on the eccentric part.
- Pullups 3x5 reps with straight leg raises.
- Lunges.

Last edited:
Warmup:
- Jump rope.
- Footwork.
- Walking Lunges
- Light shadowboxing.
- Calf raises

PL/Weightlifting:
- Warmup with bar.
- RDL 10x60kg
- RDL 10x80kg
- Deadlift 5x5 reps at 90kg.

Gymnastics:
- Bent Hollow Body Holds 4x42 seconds + Cat Cow.
- Scapular Shrugs 4x15 reps + Swivel Hips.
- Hinge Rows 5x7 reps + Upright Lat Lean.
- Pushups 4x15 reps + Xiaopeng Forward.
- Wrist Warmup/Exercises
- Tripod 4x60 seconds + Seated Shoulder Flexion.

Misc/rehab/prehab:
- Reverse Lunges 3x12 reps
- Pullups 3x5 reps with straight leg raises.
- Band work for rotator cuff
- Stretching and mobility
- 30x6kg lateral raises.

I am noticing my arms and shoulders are getting bigger and I am getting leaner too. About 88kg atm. All my upper body work is gymnastic training, except a few lateral raises here and there. I am nearing a few progressions and it's getting tougher. The hardest part is the short rest time.

This will be my last post in this log. I am making a new one to make it a bit cleaner. New focus and training protocol :)

Back