San Diego gyms review-

Forceof1

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I always like reading about others travels to gyms and their reviews- so here's mine.
For context, I am a nearly 40 year old hobbyist brown belt.

I trained at the University of Jiu Jitsu, and 10th Planet San Diego. Really covers the BJJ spectrum.

University of Jiu Jitsu - Wednesday night BJJ Library class.
- Unfortunately, Xande was out of country and Saulo was sick. Professor Rene ran a great class though, but of course was still hoping to train with one of the brothers.

Preliminaries- the gym is TRADITIONAL. Fortunately, I grew up in traditional karate gyms so no big deal- but if you are not used to it, I could see it catching you off guard. Basic stuff- bow on and off the mat, don't go on mat to tie belt, call all black belts "professor", etc. I registered online ahead of time, and they had my info and a rental gi ready to go. I paid a 30 dollar mat fee and hit the changing area.

There are two mat areas- one main and an overflow. When they line up, it is order by rank in groups of 7. As a brown belt in wisconsin, its rare to not be one of the highest ranking guys on the mat. I was the 10th guy in line (6 black belts and 3 browns ahead of me). 10 years ago there wasn't 7 black belts in the state of wisconsin, so it was cool to see that many guys just at a class. At the beginning of class, I had to introduce myself, say where I trained, etc.

Warm ups were fairly intense - squats, mountain climbers, running in circle, etc. Lots of situps / crunches and push ups. After a day walking around the zoo in the sun, i was gassed by the end. The trend continued throughout the night.

I'm not sure if it was different than normal due to the BJJ library class, but there was a lot of drilling. They were doing take down (uchi-komi) and throwing on the last one. They'd go 40 seconds smooth (throw and switch to other guys turn for 40) then 20 seconds fast (throw and switch) then 10 seconds hard (throw and switch). Then they'd set up the next throw. We probably drilled 4 throws in this fashion.

Then some ground work- butterfly guard pass, and a side control maintenance drill. Both were taught very well- clear explanation and good insight into little details. Then they were drilled in the same fashion as the throws. I was gassed again by the end.

Finally a water break :eek: and then to prepare for rolling. They do it a bit differently then I've seen done. First, you line up around the edge of the mat by rank. Then the highest rank picks his partner, and they line up on the mat. This continues until there are 7 groups on the main mat. Then they alternate to spread out, and everyone left goes to the over flow mat and partners on their own. As the visitor, I got picked by higher ranks each time but one. Lower belts do not ask higher ranks to roll (again, more traditional than most gyms). 7 minute rounds. The rolls was friendly but intense. Strong passing / top games, and one of the black belts just smashed my guard. I tapped more times than I typically do in a month. I gassed hard after 2 rounds, then really gassed after 4. I sat out the last one, and asked for a acai recommendations during the extra round after class bowed out. (highly recommend Ocean Cafe on Ingrahm st- the real deal and the guy who owns it trains bjj- cool dude).

Overall- everyone was extremely welcoming, and I wish I had more time to train there. Professor Rene helped with a few questions I had on a problem that came up during a roll and was very cool about it.

I'll post the 10th planet review in the next post.

Last edited:
I trained at 10th Planet San Diego, for their 6am - 730 am nogi jiu-jitsu class. Again, I had reached out ahead of time and was expected / greeted warmly. I paid a 20 dollar mat fee and changed.

People were warm / said hi when stretching out prior to class- which doesn't always happen at 5:50 in the morning on a Monday. The class was taught by Richie "Boogeyman" Martinez, which I was happy to see. The mat area was really clean and quite large, with a smaller area off to the side we didn't use. 20 people on the mat, which was cool for that early.

There was no bowing in- just Richie saying "lets go with shrimps" and everyone made their way to one end. 2 rounds of shrimps, followed by forward and backward rolls, knee walking / drops, inverted rolls, cartwheels, etc. None of the 10th planet formal warmups, which surprised me.

Went right into technique, which was a lockdown half guard, transition to half butterfly to whip up to a butterfly guard and then sweep back. Richie did a nice job explaining the details. We drilled the technique for about 5 minutes, with him making corrections. I was impressed with how active most of the groups drilling where- usually after that long you have a few drifting into conversation or other techniques.

From there, they transitioned into some rubber guard techniques from the butterfly guard. These were again explained well, and I was able to catch on fairly quickly. The terminology was different (to be expected) but didn't impede my understanding of what was happening. Again, 5 minutes each of fairly serious drilling.

Rolling was next- again very informal. I don't train no-gi very often, so I wasn't used to having no way to really determine the skill level of who I rolled with in advance. To be fair, that was kind of fun- sort of a surprise. I did randomly end up training with 2-3 guys who were still fairly new before Richie started pairing me up with some guys in particular.

I wouldn't say I found anything really unusual about the rolling- one guy was super flexible and tried some funky stuff, but tight pressure passing pretty much negated most of the rubber guard attempts. They all seemed fairly happy to start with butterfly guard, and I was able to pass them while preventing any lockdowns as I was protecting a sore ankle. In hindsight I wish I had ventured into their games a bit more just to feel what could happen, as opposed to shutting some of it down.

they rolled 5 five minute rounds, and then took a picture. No formal bowing out or hand shaking. I should say Richie shook everyone's hand before class, and spoke with me for a minute or two after recognizing I was new.

After class, I used one of the guys to film the techniques on and Richie filmed for me, providing commentary. I appreciated that- not everyone would be as open to it. They were all really gracious, and I wish I had more time to train there as well.

Summary- both gyms were awesome and welcoming in their own way. I'm glad I trained at both, and if I go back I'll train at both again.
If you have any other questions- let me know, I'll be happy to answer them the best I can.

I love my current gym but I’ll always miss training with Xande

Yah, I was a little bummed they weren't there. not taking anything away from the instruction, but would have been cool.

isnt baret yoshida there or rani yaha 2 amazing grapplers man i wana learn that baret crucifix

isnt baret yoshida there or rani yaha 2 amazing grapplers man i wana learn that baret crucifix

Baret Yoshida has his own gym, The Arena, which is like a block from the Ribeiro Bros.

Rani has trained with Xande in the past, but is in Brazil full time I believe.

San Diego is really spoiled for amazing BJJ.

Atos
Uni JJ
Royler’s gym
Eduardo Telles
Studio 540
Clark Gracie
Baret Yoshida
Dean Lister & Jeff Glover
Rodrigo Medeiros
Barum
Fabio Santos

And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

wtf? i thought
Baret Yoshida has his own gym, The Arena, which is like a block from the Ribeiro Bros.

Rani has trained with Xande in the past, but is in Brazil full time I believe.

San Diego is really spoiled for amazing BJJ.

Atos
Uni JJ
Royler’s gym
Eduardo Telles
Studio 540
Clark Gracie
Baret Yoshida
Dean Lister & Jeff Glover
Rodrigo Medeiros
Barum
Fabio Santos

And those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.
the arena was the riberios gym or it use to be? i remember it back in 2009 when diego sanchez left greg jacksons to go there to prefect his jiu jitsu

The arena is literally next door to the University. Like 25 feet away in the same strip mall. I think there is a tailor shop in between. I didn't get a chance to stop in though.

Back