Samkor sparring

Clearly, the answer to everything is a left kick. :)

Man Samkor was good. Makes me sad that I'm a southpaw with a terrible left kick. :p

That wouldn't help either because then I'd have a rubbish switch kick! :p

People who can only kick with their front leg by switch kicking...

giphy.gif

S'all about that tiny switch step. No pyjamas needed:

Kru-Dam-Whisper-Step-w1400.jpg

Not that tiny and still telegraphed :)

It's good to be able to do both the switch step but also be able to kick with the front leg without switching.

Not that tiny and still telegraphed :)

It's good to be able to do both the switch step but also be able to kick with the front leg without switching.

In all seriousness I don't think there is a kick that's not telegraphed, Even kicks that come straight up normally involve narrowing your stance a little bit (there's one that Frode does really well in his bagwork videos)

In all seriousness I don't think there is a kick that's not telegraphed

Still, there are level to this shit. When I started ITF, those guys could see my kick from miles away, and in got lots of unexpected hits from them. They hide their kicks into the "bouncing", they hide it with their constant feints, they hide with the ability to throw from both legs, and coming from awkward angles. You add to that the speed and you see that it's another level.
One of my biggest improvement in that regard, is when my TKD trainer explained to me from the beginning, how a huge tell was the small step-in I did in my MT roundhouse. There is no way i could catch a TKD guy with a roundhouse like that.

I really believe that those guys have the less telegraphed kicks. If you are experienced enough, you will see when something is about to come, but you will not know what kind of kick it will be. In MT, since we have mostly only 2 options (round and teep) and power is more important than speed, is not that easy to hide the kick.

Still, there are level to this shit. When I started ITF, those guys could see my kick from miles away, and in got lots of unexpected hits from them. They hide their kicks into the "bouncing", they hide it with their constant feints, they hide with the ability to throw from both legs, and coming from awkward angles. You add to that the speed and you see that it's another level.
One of my biggest improvement in that regard, is when my TKD trainer explained to me from the beginning, how a huge tell was the small step-in I did in my MT roundhouse. There is no way i could catch a TKD guy with a roundhouse like that.

I really believe that those guys have the less telegraphed kicks. If you are experienced enough, you will see when something is about to come, but you will not know what kind of kick it will be. In MT, since we have mostly only 2 options (round and teep) and power is more important than speed, is not that easy to hide the kick.

This is exactly where I was getting at and I've had the same experience in Kyokushin Karate where a switch kick is way too telegraphed.

Funnily enough I didn't have a background in MT when I did Kyokushin (I came from Shotokan Karate before that) but when I started and I had to kick from the front leg I always did a switch before kicking by instinct, which was heavily corrected by my instructor (because it's too telegraphed) and a pain of a habit to lose. Now though it's a great advantage being able to kick from the front leg without automatically making a switch movement first (you can still switch kick if you want though).

I've seen many KO's from front leg head kicks without the switch because the opponent usually doesn't see it coming or expects a teep. Glaube Feitosa has plenty of those KO's in K-1 and I was even surprised recently to see a Thai guy pull that front leg head kick KO in a MT fight recently.

when I started and I had to kick from the front leg I always did a switch before kicking by instinct, which was heavily corrected by my instructor (because it's too telegraphed) and a pain of a habit to lose

Funny. I was able to kick with the front without (much) problem, probably because I used it a lot to teep with it. But when i try to make a quick side step to the left and kick as a counter to a side kick, i mess it up. My left foot is trying to do a switch kick instead of a quick side step. So i end up doing a sort of side jumping switch kick, which is a completely mess... (but it kinda work)
I also have lots of trouble putting my right leg after a kick, in front of me to continue advancing. I am so used to bring my foot back after contact, that i mess lots of "easy" exercises. I can bring it back down in front of me if I miss, instead of doing a 360, but if a hit my target, the leg will automatically go back where it came from.

Funny. I was able to kick with the front without (much) problem, probably because I used it a lot to teep with it. But when i try to make a quick side step to the left and kick as a counter to a side kick, i mess it up. My left foot is trying to do a switch kick instead of a quick side step. So i end up doing a sort of side jumping switch kick, which is a completely mess... (but it kinda work)
I also have lots of trouble putting my right leg after a kick, in front of me to continue advancing. I am so used to bring my foot back after contact, that i mess lots of "easy" exercises. I can bring it back down in front of me if I miss, instead of doing a 360, but if a hit my target, the leg will automatically go back where it came from.

Those 2 especially the 2nd one feel actually quite natural to do when coming from Karate, because usually in Kata you kick and then land the leg forward one step (instead of bringing it back).

My technique in the Katas is so awful, it's not even funny. But I am able to put one foot in front of the other after a kick, because there is no contact, so i got to have control over the strike or else i will end doing a 180/360. But as soon as we use shields for kicking, and we go full speed, full power, full blast, i go full retarded. If my rear leg makes contact, it will go back where it came from. I got to make some "warm up" strikes slowly first, while concentrating, then my legs might be able to understand what they are supposed to do.
It's an inside joke at the TKD gym, that I got to start the exercises a bit before the others to able to catch up with the rhythm of the instructor.

I'm against this movie training story. Training is training and Fight and fight

This is exactly where I was getting at and I've had the same experience in Kyokushin Karate where a switch kick is way too telegraphed.

Funnily enough I didn't have a background in MT when I did Kyokushin (I came from Shotokan Karate before that) but when I started and I had to kick from the front leg I always did a switch before kicking by instinct, which was heavily corrected by my instructor (because it's too telegraphed) and a pain of a habit to lose. Now though it's a great advantage being able to kick from the front leg without automatically making a switch movement first (you can still switch kick if you want though).

I've seen many KO's from front leg head kicks without the switch because the opponent usually doesn't see it coming or expects a teep. Glaube Feitosa has plenty of those KO's in K-1 and I was even surprised recently to see a Thai guy pull that front leg head kick KO in a MT fight recently.

Was it Lerdsila vs that poor MMA dude in Lion Fight? :eek::eek::eek:

I've never seen samkor fight. But damn he is really good at distancing and setting up that left kick. And sometimes in their he would do kind of a pendulum step and than land the left kick.

Back