SAMBO LEG KNOT.

Quiet Russian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Sergei Bal, Russian National Champion and World Silver medalist in Combat Sambo shows Leg Knot, a basic submission from Sambo arsenal.

Nice.
I use leg knots a lot.
From standing, from ground, as submission or other means.
Very underestimated technique in groundfighting

I don't really think it's underestimated at all these times...

it's not that easy to get to, although i love that position. dean lister calls it "game over."
Actually, it is- it happens in wrestling all the time.
But I havent seen that many people working Leg Knot subs from there, even if its right under their nose.
Since its leg reaping, it wouldnt be possible under IBJJF.
And you cant really do this variation without the gi (there are plenty of others for No Gi), so its kinda surprising to hear from BJJ guys that its a thing of choice...

Last edited:
The top leg lock guys (i.e., the DDS), seem to largely not bother with bringing the foot across. Why? They feel it is unnecessary (they can hh from AG/OA) and the transition to it from 1LX/Ashi leaves you unnecessarily exposed to several counter footlocks. I think you are safer going to it from dynamic entry/off a takedown. The counter footlocks in the transition may also be illegal in sambo as they twist the foot. Even ignoring the counters, I think is just very hard to get to except off a takedown.

Once you get there, no doubt it's a great position. This is similar to the loveknot submission that Reilly Bodycomb teaches that does not require the gi.

I
The top leg lock guys (i.e., the DDS), seem to largely not bother with bringing the foot across. Why? They feel it is unnecessary (they can hh from AG/OA) and the transition to it from 1LX/Ashi leaves you unnecessarily exposed to several counter footlocks. I think you are safer going to it from dynamic entry/off a takedown. The counter footlocks in the transition may also be illegal in sambo as they twist the foot. Even ignoring the counters, I think is just very hard to get to except off a takedown.

Once you get there, no doubt it's a great position. This is similar to the loveknot submission that Reilly Bodycomb teaches that does not require the gi.
I can show you a great entry to similar position, off a guardpass, for example.
Heelhook is only legal in very few rule sets, and even if legal, it will be difficult to execute from that specific position in the video (only one hand, the leg hooked under the knee).

Back