Saki's successful UFC debut

Tayski

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
I haven't seen any threads about this here, only in the heavies.

I thought I'd take this opportunity to share this nice highlight video from Saki's Twitter account:

Good to see Saki kick some ass in MMA. He definitely needs more work on his cardio and wrestling though, but dat ko :D

Damn we're slacking, didn't even realize he had his debut...

Doesn't seem as big as he used to look :rolleyes:

I'm def more of an mma fan and that was the perfect debut opponent for him but he looked pretty good. I was pleasantly surprised at his take down defense (his opponents TDs aren't great though). Obviously he has to work on his grappling cardio as he was growing tired in the first round but he was throwing a high pace too. I think he'll wind up being like Pat Barry. Always dangerous but flawed. He's a better kickboxer than Barry but he's also older than when Barry came in.

I wouldn't call his debut "successful". He was gassing, getting pushed back, and taking way more shots then he should be. Hes supposed to be one of the best kickboxers right now, yet he struggled against a bum.

I wouldn't call his debut "successful". He was gassing, getting pushed back, and taking way more shots then he should be. Hes supposed to be one of the best kickboxers right now, yet he struggled against a bum.

I guess a first round KO in a UFC debut after 2 years without fighting isn't successful... He definitely gassed but considering what he was throwing that doesn't surprise me. If he manages to pace himself like Econoreem and work on his take down defence he looks promising to me.

Da Silva is a solid enough journeyman too, far from being a bum. The guy had 5 UFC fights prior to the Saki bout, it was a tough fight for a newcomer.

He also hasn't fought in years, and is clearly having to adjust to fighting off the juice. But ya he has a way to go in MMA.

Saki's next UFC bout announced for December 30th:

In a sport you can either win or lose. He won, that's successful. I guess you can get a draw or nc too but whatever.

Saki's next UFC bout announced for December 30th:

For all you kickboxing fans that's a good opponent for him. Guy is mainly a striker with real good power but is pretty greeen.

Saki has bad wrestling, no chance at all. He is very limited technically. Do you think he can improve somehow?

Saki has bad wrestling, no chance at all. He is very limited technically. Do you think he can improve somehow?
Saki won his first UFC fight already a couple of weekends ago and this second matchup vs Rountree Jr. is also against an opponent who is likewise mostly a striker. Saki's been training in Sweden with UFC veterans Alexander Gustafsson and with Ilir Latifi as well as with members of the Turkish wrestling team according to his interviews, drilling takedown defense over and over again. So he seems to be taking it seriously enough- at least good enough to beat these fighters outside the UFC Top 15 at LHW.

Back