Sakakibara reminisces about Pride-FC

The problem with Rizin and to a lesser extent Bellator is that you look at the number and look at the names and think that "Yeah, this could possibly go somewhere" yet when you consider who these names are, its mostly past their prime fighters who merely have a few more shows in them (and their fights are mostly awful, but thats another issue). Its a short sighted situation, that cant go anywhere unless fresh blood comes pouring in. They need fighters like Davis, Mousasi, fighters who have showed they can hang in the UFC so that a few wins over random fighters will make the fans think theyre better than they ever was.

But thats the other issue - the fans. The days when hype trains were built with the bodies of knocked out cans is long gone, and nowadays hype trains are built with twitter posts. That is a problem, because if the venue is small to begin with than no one will see the talking. These fans barely enjoy MMA, they enjoy drama and knockouts.

However, that trend might change. I think the best bet for Rizin and Bellator is to buils up young fighters, make no excessive glory signings (Fedor) and bide their time, instead of throwing these withered legends against each other. The way it is now, UFC looks like a primetime drama to the fairwhether fans, while Bellator/Rizin looks like carnie fairs. If they focused on quality over bombast at least it would look like a sport.

You haven't actually WATCHED Rizin, have you? This notion of Rizin only putting on old fighters is clearly the perspective of an outsider. Their two biggest fighters are an 18 year old Kickboxing prodigy and a 25 year old female Shootboxing crossover. Watch the shows and realize that there is a dramatic amount more to it than this idea of them only putting on old fighters who only have a few events left in them.

Hope to heaven that RIZIN survives and becomes sustainable. High production JMMA is the best MMA there is.

It is true that they're lacking in talent, but the production and backstories somewhat make up for it. They've made the Yamamotos a whole saga to see if either of them can catch a break, and I'm way more invested in that than I would be a typical UFC co-main event.

I do think they need a heavyweight champion though as the face of the promotion, and I think the depleted heavyweight scene actually helps them. They can get Ishii (or another Japanese heavyweight), feed him cans, and present a Japanese heavyweight as one of the best heavyweights in the world. It's too bad Cro Cop retired, otherwise that would've been a strong alternative as he's a link to PRIDE, and gets the Japanese love anyway.

Hope RENA and King Reina end up being long-term breakout WMMA stars, and definitely want to see more Gabi Garcia fights. Equally high hopes for Kyoji Horiguchi, Kron Gracie, and Tenshin Nasukawa. Basically want RIZIN to be PRIDE 2.0, and I'd love to experience that JMMA boom again.

I think their plan at heavyweight is clearly Amir Aliakbari. He won't go to the UFC, the crowd seems to like him and he is MOLDABLE.

I think their plan at heavyweight is clearly Amir Aliakbari. He won't go to the UFC, the crowd seems to like him and he is MOLDABLE.
There was a ton of potential with Aliakbari, but getting TKO'd by a fading legend wasn't a good look. I'm curious to see how he rebounds against another high-level heavyweight.

There was a ton of potential with Aliakbari, but getting TKO'd by a fading legend wasn't a good look. I'm curious to see how he rebounds against another high-level heavyweight.

it's not a good look but he also has like 4 fights, it's pretty forgivable. Aliakbari is an ace player for HW, not even 30 yet, getting put on regularly on these cards

You haven't actually WATCHED Rizin, have you? This notion of Rizin only putting on old fighters is clearly the perspective of an outsider. Their two biggest fighters are an 18 year old Kickboxing prodigy and a 25 year old female Shootboxing crossover. Watch the shows and realize that there is a dramatic amount more to it than this idea of them only putting on old fighters who only have a few events left in them.

I haven't been able to catch any of their shows actually, but going on what people on the contenders are talking about, Cro Cop and co seems far bigger than what you're describing (which sounds awful if true by the way, I get more than my fill of feMMA watching UFC and 18 years old is nothing).

The problem with Rizin and to a lesser extent Bellator is that you look at the number and look at the names and think that "Yeah, this could possibly go somewhere" yet when you consider who these names are, its mostly past their prime fighters who merely have a few more shows in them (and their fights are mostly awful, but thats another issue). Its a short sighted situation, that cant go anywhere unless fresh blood comes pouring in. They need fighters like Davis, Mousasi, fighters who have showed they can hang in the UFC so that a few wins over random fighters will make the fans think theyre better than they ever was.

But thats the other issue - the fans. The days when hype trains were built with the bodies of knocked out cans is long gone, and nowadays hype trains are built with twitter posts. That is a problem, because if the venue is small to begin with than no one will see the talking. These fans barely enjoy MMA, they enjoy drama and knockouts.

However, that trend might change. I think the best bet for Rizin and Bellator is to buils up young fighters, make no excessive glory signings (Fedor) and bide their time, instead of throwing these withered legends against each other. The way it is now, UFC looks like a primetime drama to the fairwhether fans, while Bellator/Rizin looks like carnie fairs. If they focused on quality over bombast at least it would look like a sport.

Well said.

Prolly shouldnt have sold his 'daughter' the to pudgy bald American.

Did he reminisce about the scummy move he pulled dismantling the organization in the middle of the sale, behind the backs of the purchasers, essentially ripping them off? Not very honorabru.

what an odd thing to say, coming from the person so irrationally defending road fc's "32 man" tournament, featuring 16 fighters.

it's not a good look but he also has like 4 fights, it's pretty forgivable. Aliakbari is an ace player for HW, not even 30 yet, getting put on regularly on these cards

i dunno, he looked to be 100% wrestling. as in... lay and pray. he's soooo boring.

the global hw division is ridiculously shallow, so he could end up being a top ____ hw, but i doubt he'll ever be exciting.

i dunno, he looked to be 100% wrestling. as in... lay and pray. he's soooo boring.

the global hw division is ridiculously shallow, so he could end up being a top ____ hw, but i doubt he'll ever be exciting.

6 wins, 4 1st round finishes. Both of his decisions happened within 3 days of tournament play. Gameplans are different for the possibility of 3 fights in 3 days

what an odd thing to say, coming from the person so irrationally defending road fc's "32 man" tournament, featuring 16 fighters.
Apples to potatoes. Can you even count to potato?

6 wins, 4 1st round finishes. Both of his decisions happened within 3 days of tournament play. Gameplans are different for the possibility of 3 fights in 3 days
oh, he had finishes? i guess that means those boring fights are now magically exciting. ...i didn't say he had all decisions. i said his fights were boring.

Apples to potatoes. Can you even count to potato?

so having handshake agreements isn't honorable, but fraud (16 still isn't 32) - or best case scenario - false advertising, somehow is honorable? oh, sorry - "honorabru" apples to potatoes is right. promise an apple, give a potato.

oh, he had finishes? i guess that means those boring fights are now magically exciting. ...i didn't say he had all decisions. i said his fights were boring.

so having handshake agreements isn't honorable, but fraud (16 still isn't 32) - or best case scenario - false advertising, somehow is honorable? oh, sorry - "honorabru" apples to potatoes is right. promise an apple, give a potato.
You're a lousy fucking troll. Thanks for reminding me why I put you on ignore. You're sole purpose on this forum is to pick fights.

P.S.A. Save yourselves some time, people. Put the troll I quoted in this post on ignore. He's just looking to argue.

You're a lousy fucking troll. Thanks for reminding me why I put you on ignore. You're sole purpose on this forum is to pick fights.

if i'm on ignore, why do you keep posting to me/quoting me?

P.S.A. Save yourselves some time, people. Put the troll I quoted in this post on ignore. He's just looking to argue.

if i'm such a troll, why do i have a logical argument supported by facts/evidence, on my side?

you said something dumb and now you're over-reacting. you just namecalled me while hypocritically accusing me of picking a fight. wtf, you're both kettle and pot.

Getting involved with the Yakuza and dealing wwithDana are the worst thing that ever happened to japanese mma.

They killed PRIDE.
They killed japanese mma.

Back