Sage Northcutt vs Jake Matthews is in the works.

Not a fan of either atm but I see Sage getting wrestlefucked for some reason.

Edit: At least it was a respectful call out.

Wtf, Jake would kill sage, they're not even in the same league for the moment, Jake is legit

They're both prospects, neither of them are top prospects....Zabit is a top prospect, Paulo Costa is a top prospect, fucking Jake Matthews and Sage Northcutt? Lol.
Age is a important factor, Northcutt is 22 and Matthews 23 years old and they already have 5+ wins in UFC, that's impressive and rare. Who was able to do that? The only ones that comes to mind are Jones and Mayday

Therefore, i see them as top prospects, the most promising ones in their divisions.

who?

i call out sage nprthcutt too
probably an easy fighy

Matthews makes it ugly, gets him down and wins by rnc

Age is a important factor, Northcutt is 22 and Matthews 23 years old and they already have 5+ wins in UFC, that's impressive and rare. Who was able to do that? The only ones that comes to mind are Jones and Mayday

Therefore, i see them as top prospects, the most promising ones in their divisions.
Competition matters.
Sage is out there beating the absolute bottom of the barrel regional guys.

Age isn't as significant a factor as experience in my opinion, sorry. Many have come much further by the time they were Sage and Matthews ages. Look at the number of pro fights they have, Northcutt is what 15 pro fights into his career, had 12 amateur kickboxing bouts, a bunch of amateur MMA bouts, wrestled in middle School and highschool, was a world class martial artist growing up and gets paid 6 figures for a fight with big sponsors and access to all the best diets, gyms, coaches, nutritionist etc. When you simply look at his age, sure you can say his ceiling is boundless but when you factor in everything else...I doubt it. When Rory was 20-21 he took Condit to his limit, arguably won the first two rounds and then was stopped in the third (at the time, it was considered a questionable stoppage but I've seen the post fight pictures and am aware Rory said the stoppage was good, but honestly his only play there was to be modest regardless). Rory showed championship level ability at 21, he didn't improve much since, he just polished a few things and got experience which is normal for younger fighters who have lots of experience already...meanwhile Sage Northcutt is losing to fighters outside the top 100 and being fed cans that are well below UFC level so he can "look good" he's arguably not a prospect at all, let alone a top prospect.

Matthews is 23, almost 24. He's 16 fights and 6 years deep into his pro career along with getting to go through the TUF house. He's 13-3 and while he's shown much more potential than Sage Northcutt in my opinion, he's far from a top prospect, a guy like Kamaru Usman is a top prospect at 170lbs or Darren Till. Matthews is just beating guys outside the top 30 in competitive fights on the prelims. Check this, Usman has 13 pro fights and has been fighting professionally 6 years too, arguably less experienced than Matthews yet eons better?

You buy the UFC Koolaid, the only reason you know who Northcutt and Matthews are is because they're in the UFC.The only reason you think they're top prosects is because that's what the commentators tell you while you're watching. There's plenty of better prospects outside the UFC than these fighters and there's top prospects in the UFC they just aren't ones.

Sorry, who knows they may some day be great, I'm not disparaging them.

Matthews from the Leech fight probably kills Sage.

Age isn't as significant a factor as experience in my opinion, sorry. Many have come much further by the time they were Sage and Matthews ages. Look at the number of pro fights they have, Northcutt is what 15 pro fights into his career, had 12 amateur kickboxing bouts, a bunch of amateur MMA bouts, wrestled in middle School and highschool, was a world class martial artist growing up and gets paid 6 figures for a fight with big sponsors and access to all the best diets, gyms, coaches, nutritionist etc. When you simply look at his age, sure you can say his ceiling is boundless but when you factor in everything else...I doubt it. When Rory was 20-21 he took Condit to his limit, arguably won the first two rounds and then was stopped in the third (at the time, it was considered a questionable stoppage but I've seen the post fight pictures and am aware Rory said the stoppage was good, but honestly his only play there was to be modest regardless). Rory showed championship level ability at 21, he didn't improve much since, he just polished a few things and got experience which is normal for younger fighters who have lots of experience already...meanwhile Sage Northcutt is losing to fighters outside the top 100 and being fed cans that are well below UFC level so he can "look good" he's arguably not a prospect at all, let alone a top prospect.

Matthews is 23, almost 24. He's 16 fights and 6 years deep into his pro career along with getting to go through the TUF house. He's 13-3 and while he's shown much more potential than Sage Northcutt in my opinion, he's far from a top prospect, a guy like Kamaru Usman is a top prospect at 170lbs or Darren Till. Matthews is just beating guys outside the top 30 in competitive fights on the prelims. Check this, Usman has 13 pro fights and has been fighting professionally 6 years too, arguably less experienced than Matthews yet eons better?

You buy the UFC Koolaid, the only reason you know who Northcutt and Matthews are is because they're in the UFC.The only reason you think they're top prosects is because that's what the commentators tell you while you're watching. There's plenty of better prospects outside the UFC than these fighters and there's top prospects in the UFC they just aren't ones.

Sorry, who knows they may some day be great, I'm not disparaging them.

I've got to agree with this guy, he knows what's going on.

You can have all the best training in the world but there's got to be something special inside a true great fighter that helps them excel past others in their age category. It's pretty much a killer instinct that you either have or you don't.

Granted there are some exceptions in the late bloomers category but it could easily be taken as they had the killer instinct but didn't have the proper tools or the knowledge of how to utilize them until later into their fight career.

Either way you look at it, Northcutt isn't really a fighter. He's one hell of an athlete and his athletics have brought him far in the fight game. Unless he really shakes things up now that he's at TAM I just don't see him becoming an all out great.

because "bloody casuals" watch every podcast that sage northcutt is featured on

I don't like to consider anyone ranked as a prospect, in my opinion if you are a top 15 in UFC you're either a up and coming contender or a gatekeeper. Therefore, Till and Usman i see as contenders, not as prospects, in despite of their lack of experience and young age (under 30).

About "my reason" to see them about prospects, has nothing to do with UFC commentators, i don't watch it in english so if they push'em as prospects in north american broadcasts i don't really know, but in Combate (BR TV channel for MMA) they're treated like any other young fighter.

I see both as prospects because i think they will be top 10 one day, they're young, pretty good (Sage has great TKD, Matthews is very well rounded and above average wrestling) and are improving, having more mature performances. In their divisions, outside the top 15, i see them as the most promising guys. Yes age is a important factor, they didn't hit their prime even physically and are already doing good in UFC, imagine with years improving and all that before their prime (usually 28-32)

Rory was a top prospect, just like these guys.

We don't know where they will be with 26-29 years old, but i see a bright future for both.

I don't see how this is competitive at all. I get that it seems like an easy fight for Jake and Sage is a big name but Jake needs to be going towards the title. Sage doesn't even have a win at WW, one solid win could get Mathews ranked.

Back