Sage Northcutt long neck

ColonelAngus1

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Watching the fights last night I noticed how long Sage Northcutt's neck is. You can see it clearly in this picture.
sage-acc.jpg

2 things here...

1) Is it going to be hard for him to tuck his chin and stay tight with that long neck

AND

2) It seems that fighters with good chins are the ones with short, thick necks so their head doesn't rattle around so much when they get hit. Think Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar (who doesn't like getting hit but can take a punch), Robbie Lawler, etc.

I know it sounds funny to talk about, but his Northcutt's neck going to limit his upside?

All I noticed was damn, this guy has been in the UFC for almost 2.5 years and still hasn’t shown much improvement at his young age. I mean he was facing a guy who was 1-3 in the UFC who was finished in all three losses, and he had to scrape by with a close decision.

On a serious note, it is better to have a short and thick neck for the reasons you mentioned yourself, but it’s not anything major so it won’t matter.

theres no doubt long necks are prone to chokes.

Long necks look fucking terrible. He does have a pencil neck...

It won’t make much of a difference because sage will always be a C level fighter who is able to just get by the lowest level guys in the division

Watching the fights last night I noticed how long Sage Northcutt's neck is. You can see it clearly in this picture.
sage-acc.jpg

2 things here...

1) Is it going to be hard for him to tuck his chin and stay tight with that long neck

AND

2) It seems that fighters with good chins are the ones with short, thick necks so their head doesn't rattle around so much when they get hit. Think Roy Nelson, Brock Lesnar (who doesn't like getting hit but can take a punch), Robbie Lawler, etc.

I know it sounds funny to talk about, but his Northcutt's neck going to limit his upside?

If i was him or his coaches id be more worried about chokes then strikes..but hes still super young and even younger to the mma game itself..he was basically just a karate guy.. hes working on rounding out with faber good choice imo..

Gouti wasn't even hitting him that clean or hard. One was like a grazing hammer fist. It's concerning that they were stunning sage. Head movement and tucking his chin will help but he still should have ate those punches way better.

Back