Sage: Do you honestly see top 10 potential?

CPH

street lethal
@Gold
Reaction score
I really don't. He still looks like an amateur off his back, has zero sense of pacing and nearly got Duffee'd by Ottow.

This kid will only hang around as long as the UFC keeps the kiddy wheels on. But really: what incentive do they have to do that if he can never legitimately break into the top 10?

Athletically? Yeah. Technically? Hell no.

He's very young though, so he can keep on improving. I do see him cracking the top 10 eventually, winning the title though, that's another thing altogether. Rooting for the guy since he seems nice and rubs sherdoggers the wrong way.

He is still extremely young. His stand up is legit. He is making strides with TAM, it is pretty evident watching his last few fights. He still has a ton of work to do, but he has a lot of time to tighten up the weak points of his game.

Time will tell whether he does or not, but top 10 isn't out of the question considering his age and the fact he is now being trained by a legit team instead of his dad.

Hes 22.

I think he will have success if he keeps training full time.

I like the guy BUT he has massive work to do. Would like to see him move up to MW sooner rather than later. Feel like he can develop serious power with that speed if he gets a little bit bigger.

Can't wait till 2026 when Erik Silva eventually turns 18 so these two can finally fight. Should be great.

If he could fix his Take Down Defense. Yeah

I don't know if he even really plans on being a fighter for long. Probably just looking to build another career off fighting

I think he needs to train with bigger guys, hes like a HW at TAM.

No. Even with TAM and the generous match-making, he still gets dropped and taken-down.

I might be wrong, but he doesn't seem like the brightest bulb. Maybe it's just an act, but it's almost as if he's been taught to not think deeply/question enough. His athleticism will carry him far but probably never to gold.

Think about how much experience and preparation he's had by age 22. The sky is the limit for him so long as he doesn't burn out or get seriously injured.

He is still extremely young. His stand up is legit. He is making strides with TAM, it is pretty evident watching his last few fights. He still has a ton of work to do, but he has a lot of time to tighten up the weak points of his game.

Time will tell whether he does or not, but top 10 isn't out of the question considering his age and the fact he is now being trained by a legit team instead of his dad.

22 is young, but even at that age, there should be flashes of brilliance. I don't see any.

Keep in mind: Sage does have 13 pro fights under his belt at this point - that's 3 more than Weidman had when he was starching Anderson Silva. But never mind winning a belt as some prodigies have done - there are a number of fighters who have shown serious skills and all around potential at that age. Remember Albert Tumenov, who was lowballed into signing with ACB? Now there was a guy who showed LEGIT standup and top 10 potential at pretty much the same point in his career.

They are easing him into the UFC, and paying him quite well for it, for nearly 3 years now. It's time they step it up. Give him someone like Randy Brown, and after that someone on a winning streak.

If he keeps improving then yes. He's probably more athletic than anyone in the division.

I don't know if he even really plans on being a fighter for long. Probably just looking to build another career off fighting

you realize he left college where he had a 4.0 gpa to fight in the UFC right?

to TS's question: it's absolutely possible that Sage ends up being a legend in the sport. I wouldn't have thought so a few fights ago but under faber he has improved a crazy amount.

22 is young, but even at that age, there should be flashes of brilliance. I don't see any.

Keep in mind: Sage does have 13 pro fights under his belt at this point - that's 3 more than Weidman had when he was starching Anderson Silva. But never mind winning a belt as some prodigies have done - there are a number of fighters who have shown serious skills and all around potential at that age. Remember Albert Tumenov, who was lowballed into signing with ACB? Now there was a guy who showed LEGIT standup and top 10 potential at pretty much the same point in his career.
I get your point completely, but I really believe that being trained by his dad for so long stunted his growth as a fighter. I know he spent time at TriStar, which I am sure helped him to a degree, but it seems like I remember hearing his dad still ran the show, even then. Now, without his dad taking an active role in his training, I believe he will unlearn a lot of what he was taught and grow as a fighter.

Sage suffers a lot too from being a hyped up young fighter who didn't deserve the hype. I think that if the UFC hadn't have jumped the gun on hyping him so much, maybe we wouldn't be having this conversation and all would be happy with where he is as a fighter.

Anyway, time will tell. I would presume that he has drive to get better, considering the accolades he has accumulated even before he was fighting MMA. If he hasn't progressed much in the next five years, he may never.

Last edited:
I wouldn't have thought so a few fights ago but under faber he has improved a crazy amount.

He still got clearly outwrestled and rocked by Gouti, only to be gifted a blatant hometown decision.

Back