Sacrifice Throws for BJJ

goatfury

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
https://howtheyplay.com/individual-sports/Sacrifice-Throws-for-BJJ

Judo and BJJ go hand in hand, but some throws are far better suited for transitioning to the ground. One category of throws in judo that fit this category well are ma sutemi waza, or back sacrifice techniques. Clearly, if you miss the throw and you're already on your back, guard recovery is extremely high percentage, and with a few small modifications, you can seamlessly integrate good sacrifice throws into your existing BJJ game.

Sumi Gaeshi has always worked pretty well for me, it's really easy when guys can't finish a single leg.

Sumi Gaeshi has always worked pretty well for me, it's really easy when guys can't finish a single leg.
Easily one of my current favorites, and an obvious Kimura connection is there as well!

Sumi G....no question, I loved it in Judo, but in BJJ its surpassed Osoto as my #1 throw.

The guys at my club know my judo background and back their hips out, so i get the grip I want and fling it.

Most often I hit it, but when I don't then I can work on my bottom guard which is my weakest game, so it's "win win" for me.

Dumb question about sumi gaeshi for competition: is it legal from a head inside single? Are you only penalized if you try to do it from a high crotch/head outside? Does that mean that the lat elevator is illegal in BJJ comps?

From what I see in the IBJJF rule book:

Grab the opponents belt and throws him to the floor on his head when defending a single leg situation while his opponents head is on the outside of his body.

From that it sounds like as long as you don't grab the belt you are OK.

It isn't a sacrifice, but I like hitting a kosoto gare, this is one of my go to techniques now; even just to get a reaction so it acts as a sort of kuzushi.

It isn't a sacrifice, but I like hitting a kosoto gare, this is one of my go to techniques now; even just to get a reaction so it acts as a sort of kuzushi.
Ko soto is awesome if you're good with it. Position-wise, the worst you'll usually end up is in their half guard, and you can often go straight to side or mount. Very good.

Ever do the falling version (I think it's nidan ko soto)? If memory serves (and who knows at this point), that one is actually classified as a sacrifice technique.

Ko soto is awesome if you're good with it. Position-wise, the worst you'll usually end up is in their half guard, and you can often go straight to side or mount. Very good.

Ever do the falling version (I think it's nidan ko soto)? If memory serves (and who knows at this point), that one is actually classified as a sacrifice technique.
I know which technique you mean; but no, I don't really use it. I like the ko soto gare, but if you're looking for it, people can try and reach down and grab a single. But, I don't really care, as I have a good wrestling background, so I would get the crotch lift control (i don't know how to say it in English).

I still love going for bigger harai goshi and uchi mata techniques though, but it is less rewarding without an ippon, they both are quite flashy, but the results in bjj competition are just side control/half guard etc. Although you can wind your uke if you have a really good uchi mata/harai goshi. Sometimes I go for a harai makikomi, but it doesn't have a nice landing; I never use it in sparring with people who don't know how to break fall.

I know which technique you mean; but no, I don't really use it. I like the ko soto gare, but if you're looking for it, people can try and reach down and grab a single. But, I don't really care, as I have a good wrestling background, so I would get the crotch lift control (i don't know how to say it in English).

I still love going for bigger harai goshi and uchi mata techniques though, but it is less rewarding without an ippon, they both are quite flashy, but the results in bjj competition are just side control/half guard etc. Although you can wind your uke if you have a really good uchi mata/harai goshi. Sometimes I go for a harai makikomi, but it doesn't have a nice landing; I never use it in sparring with people who don't know how to break fall.

Uchimata was my tokui waza for a number of years until I landed on my head in a tournament, and then it was sumi gaeshi. That's still probably my favorite, more than 10 years later.

I harai maki'd a BJJ partner a month ago out of pure Judoka habit....

...I am shamed.

I apologized....poor guy.

I harai maki'd a BJJ partner a month ago out of pure Judoka habit....

...I am shamed.

I apologized....poor guy.
Lol, damn. I still find the landing pretty tough, it takes the wind right out of you, but you also have to deal with the tore landing on you too... it isn't fun, but it is fun to execute. I like harai makikomi, or osoto makikomi. I remember a few weeks ago, we were practicing harai goshi, I thought to myself that it would be okay. But I was training with a bigger guys (15-25) bigger than me and ouch. I didn't remember the landing being that uncomfortable ahah.

Lol, damn. I still find the landing pretty tough, it takes the wind right out of you, but you also have to deal with the tore landing on you too... it isn't fun, but it is fun to execute. I like harai makikomi, or osoto makikomi. I remember a few weeks ago, we were practicing harai goshi, I thought to myself that it would be okay. But I was training with a bigger guys (15-25) bigger than me and ouch. I didn't remember the landing being that uncomfortable ahah.
I like makikomi throws, but didn't feel comfortable enough to go for them positionally until I got my black belt. Definitely a good path to the back unless you're really good from there.

I like makikomi throws, but didn't feel comfortable enough to go for them positionally until I got my black belt. Definitely a good path to the back unless you're really good from there.
I understand 100%. I have tried them quite a bit, but before I make a transition: I make sure to put all of my weight on the wrist before turning towards them to get in side control. It is the same sort of risk that attempting a morote seoi-nage can bring.

I understand 100%. I have tried them quite a bit, but before I make a transition: I make sure to put all of my weight on the wrist before turning towards them to get in side control. It is the same sort of risk that attempting a morote seoi-nage can bring.
Try spinning all the way through. The way you're doing it now is good, but an opportunistic back-taker is going to get there because of the giant edge they have in positioning on the way down. Some folks don't even care that they're going to eat it during the throw; they're only thinking about the next position.

Back