Sabas SuperSoft 12oz Gloves Review

@MEGA Whats wrong with the wrist strap? God damn it hahahah i was hoping it would give good forward wrist support. Well at least i wont be spending money on them now.

But anyways what gloves do you guys want to see reviewed next? Im thinking the Rival RS1s.

I want something new to help me out people. I have some gloves coming in tomorrow (hopefully) ill be reviewing those in the coming weeks on another site though. I can post the link on here if anyones interested but i want another pair of gloves and those RS1s are just calling me right now. Theres a lot of talk on that one thread about those R2C MiMs but ehhh. Then theres the R2C mexican styles that seem a little interested. I kind of want the Reyes trainers because of the new Titanium color. TU Adders or Death Stars.

Idk, too many choices haha what do you guys want to see?

The problem with the wrist strap is that it needs to be in the perfect position to do its job. I think Strat made a similar claim with one of Rival's bag gloves, that they had to be just right to offer the support advertised. That's the best way I can describe it. I would never buy them because of that flaw, especially at that insane price they sell them for. That's a deal breaker for me.

I def recommend the Death Adders before they stop making them, very unique glove

The problem with the wrist strap is that it needs to be in the perfect position to do its job. I think Strat made a similar claim with one of Rival's bag gloves, that they had to be just right to offer the support advertised. That's the best way I can describe it. I would never buy them because of that flaw, especially at that insane price they sell them for. That's a deal breaker for me.

I def recommend the Death Adders before they stop making them, very unique glove

Mega is correct I did a review where there where if the wrist strap is offset even a tad you get no wrist support. Also rivals double closure also gives people some hassles more so than the tokushu. So there's that also.

Mega is correct I did a review where there where if the wrist strap is offset even a tad you get no wrist support. Also rivals double closure also gives people some hassles more so than the tokushu. So there's that also.
Which bag glove was that?? I dont think ive seen that review. Ive read your RS2V review though if thats what you're refering to.

@MEGA Whats wrong with the wrist strap? God damn it hahahah i was hoping it would give good forward wrist support. Well at least i wont be spending money on them now.

But anyways what gloves do you guys want to see reviewed next? Im thinking the Rival RS1s.

I want something new to help me out people. I have some gloves coming in tomorrow (hopefully) ill be reviewing those in the coming weeks on another site though. I can post the link on here if anyones interested but i want another pair of gloves and those RS1s are just calling me right now. Theres a lot of talk on that one thread about those R2C MiMs but ehhh. Then theres the R2C mexican styles that seem a little interested. I kind of want the Reyes trainers because of the new Titanium color. TU Adders or Death Stars.

Idk, too many choices haha what do you guys want to see?

I personally want to see more Sabas gear! Haha. Been using the set since I got them and all I can say is that I'm surprisingly impressed by their form and function. Almost makes me think, if my Mexican R2C's were 12's I most likely would have kept them. They should definitely offer them in various sizes (12, 14, 16, etc).

On a side note, I tried using Title's Halloween coupon code to order a pair of Cleto's and found out that all Cleto Reyes products are excluded from promotions...bummer...imagine grabbin' a new set of Cleto's for around $100?!

I personally want to see more Sabas gear! Haha. Been using the set since I got them and all I can say is that I'm surprisingly impressed by their form and function. Almost makes me think, if my Mexican R2C's were 12's I most likely would have kept them. They should definitely offer them in various sizes (12, 14, 16, etc).

On a side note, I tried using Title's Halloween coupon code to order a pair of Cleto's and found out that all Cleto Reyes products are excluded from promotions...bummer...imagine grabbin' a new set of Cleto's for around $100?!
Ill be reviewing the headgear soon. Hopefully the review will go up Wednesday or so, im typing up some extra parts.

As for more gear from Sabas, after the Pro Series headgear ill review their new SuperSofts for sure as soon as they get released. Besides that all of Sabas gloves are pretty much the same, the only differences are closures used and also the colors. Thats why for my first Sabas review i reviewed 14oz lace ups and 16oz velcros. But yeah they should make more sizes available. The SuperSofts came in 12oz and 14oz, 14oz sold out quick. They only came in those sizes and in a limited run because the gloves were a trial run, sort of how the R2C C17s had the 1.0 versions and now we're at the 2.0s. The difference is that the SuperSofts dont really have any issues. So theres nothing to "fix." The next models will just be overall better.

Im glad you like the gear though man, i love mine too haha. Sabas is one of my favorite companies now.

How would you compare them to Winnings?
The SuperSofts? Nothing beats Winning. Winning is a higher quality and also do a better job at absorbing shock than both the SS and the C17s.

The SSs are more affordable though. That's the best part about them. Im not sure if they're still on sale but $80 for these gloves is absolutely incredible. $100 is great too though, they're amazing gloves.

I'll be getting those pictures tonight. My club was crowded yesterday because we had a few guests and I didn't want to lay out a ton of gear and look like some weirdo taking photos of gear.

We have much more Rival gear than I thought. 2 headgears and I think 3-4 pairs of their gloves. I'll also snap a shot of all our Triumph United gear as well, which is 6 pairs of gloves and 2 headgears.

I'm pretty sure I identified what exactly is the flaw with the Rival Optima's, but I'll save it for the next post

I'll be getting those pictures tonight. My club was crowded yesterday because we had a few guests and I didn't want to lay out a ton of gear and look like some weirdo taking photos of gear.

We have much more Rival gear than I thought. 2 headgears and I think 3-4 pairs of their gloves. I'll also snap a shot of all our Triumph United gear as well, which is 6 pairs of gloves and 2 headgears.

I'm pretty sure I identified what exactly is the flaw with the Rival Optima's, but I'll save it for the next post
Sweet man thanks. I think ive decided on my next gear reviews though. Rs1s, adders, then death stars.....for now haha. I kinda want to try out a new headgear too but there are none that interest me at the moment.

Sweet man thanks. I think ive decided on my next gear reviews though. Rs1s, adders, then death stars.....for now haha. I kinda want to try out a new headgear too but there are none that interest me at the moment.

Were you going to do the lace up versions of Death Adder and Death Star? That's where they really shine, but the Velcro version of both are still sweet. I just like how compact the lace up versions are because they shortened the cuff on both gloves for lace up, and lengthened them on the Velcro version

Were you going to do the lace up versions of Death Adder and Death Star? That's where they really shine, but the Velcro version of both are still sweet. I just like how compact the lace up versions are because they shortened the cuff on both gloves for lace up, and lengthened them on the Velcro version
I figured the lace ups were shorter. Thats a good question. I like compact gloves but i like long cuffs too. I might get lace up DS and Velcro death adders even though the elastic cuffs are stupid ideas.

Also do you know how good the wrist support is? The padding looks soft, it doesnt look like EVA. That doesnt sound too supportive and with that elastic strap it sounds even worse hahaha

I figured the lace ups were shorter. Thats a good question. I like compact gloves but i like long cuffs too. I might get lace up DS and Velcro death adders even though the elastic cuffs are stupid ideas.

Also do you know how good the wrist support is? The padding looks soft, it doesnt look like EVA. That doesnt sound too supportive and with that elastic strap it sounds even worse hahaha

IDK what you like, so its hard to answer if its good or not. I'm using the Japanese Heat seekers in hook n loop with an elastic strap and the difference is minimal for me when compared to most other hook n loop, but nowhere near Hayabusa. But I'm also good at wrapping my hands. Over time the laces will wear down the padding in the area they are tied in. This has happened to every well used lace up glove ive ever seen, so in the end the wrist support on the velcro version might have more long term use. The wrist support is better on the Death Stars Velcro then the Death Adders Velcro as the design is longer, more balanced, and not front loaded or compact. Using the tokushu as the standard for wrist support (A+ on my scale, and IMO 2nd only behind lace up Winning) I would say the Death Adder velcro is a B, the Death Star velcro is an A- and the lace up Death Adders are an A-. I'll show the wrist support in the pictures tonight. The velcro death star's actually surprised me because I thought they'd be about the same as the death adders, but the wrist support * is solid and better than any of the Rival, R2C, and Ringside/Adidas gloves we have at the gym.

*Edit: clarity

IDK what you like, so its hard to answer if its good or not. I'm using the Japanese Heat seekers in hook n loop with an elastic strap and the difference is minimal for me when compared to most other hook n loop, but nowhere near Hayabusa. But I'm also good at wrapping my hands. Over time the laces will wear down the padding in the area they are tied in. This has happened to every well used lace up glove ive ever seen, so in the end the wrist support on the velcro version might have more long term use. The wrist support is better on the Death Stars Velcro then the Death Adders Velcro as the design is longer, more balanced, and not front loaded or compact. Using the tokushu as the standard for wrist support (A+ on my scale, and IMO 2nd only behind lace up Winning) I would say the Death Adder velcro is a B, the Death Star velcro is an A- and the lace up Death Adders are an A-. I'll show the wrist support in the pictures tonight. The velcro death star's actually surprised me because I thought they'd be about the same as the death adders, but they're solid and better than any of the Rival, R2C, and Ringside/Adidas gloves we have at the gym.
The wrist padding, its not EVA right? It looks like cotton or something similar. But ok ill probably still stick with one Velcro one lace. When it comes to closure i dont really have a preference anymore, i used to be all velcro but as long as i have elastic laces im fine using lace ups haha.

No, not EVA. However, and I'll be uploading pictures, its good support, Even with the slight track that formed from the laces.

Here's some gloves from my gym. I didn't get the Velcro Death Stars because the guy that had them left right as I got there. I'm going to try to get a picture of all our Triumph United gear, but at the least I'll get a picture of the Death Stars we have. All this Rival gear was purchased in mid to late 2013. Please note this is community gear, so when I say a piece has solid construction and it's falling apart in the pictures, its only from extended use and not the quality or construction for the most part. This gear was very solid when it was new. I will point out some flaws along the way though.

From Left to Right: Rival RHGC1 Amateur Boxing Headgear, Rival High Performance Headgear, Rival RS10v Optima Sparring Gloves 16oz, Rival RS2V Sparring Gloves, Rival RPM3-Air Mitts, Rival RS10v Optima Sparring Gloves 16oz, Rival High Performance Double End Bag
lwNl7Hz.jpg

-The amateur headgear is pretty nice, face sit's behind the gear, as USA Boxing/AIBA headgear is designed to do, and the forehead has extra padding. I like how deep in the wearers face is and once the chin is tucked the design works really well with punches kinda bouncing upwards off the forehead padding. Liner gets hot, but prevents slipping

-The high performance headgear I'm not a fan of. The cheeks are pointless, save for maybe preventing some leather burn from a hook. The cheeks also block some peripheral vision. The face is completely open, yet its not open face headgear technically. Really dumb design IMO, I'd just get something with or without cheeks. Dislike this piece of gear, wouldn't recommend.

-Strat made a great point a while back when talking about the D3o headgear, saying the padding underneath isn't that great. I can kinda see where he's coming from. Rival uses 2 layer padding in their headgear. A lot of companies do this, and Rival does it much better than title, but it does feel a bit cheaper. However, this gear has lasted, so it cant be too bad
CYABGjP.jpg

-Rival Optima in 16oz. I'd say these are a little longer and wider than an average size 16 ounce glove. The soft padding is nice, solid construction, mesh palm. However, it is ruined by the wrist strap. I'll get to that in a minute. Everything else is great though, design, quality.

-The RS2v has amazing padding and shape of the fist is great! The wrist support...well, not so much. More on that later. Padding is definitely in the A category. Nice graphics, but poor design.
cxu5Vih.jpg

-Rival RPM3 mitts. These are fantastic. They absorb impact well and protect both coach and athlete. Not bulky even though they're well padded. Long lasting and incredibly durable. We had two pairs, but I haven't see them in a while, don't know what happened to em. I prefer to work on these mitts over the Cleto Reyes mitts we have. Definite A for those. They also have Strat's seal of approval.

-Another pair of the Rival Optima sparring gloves, 16oz

-Rival double end bag, not bad, the bladder is busted, but that was caused by someone's carelessness. I haven't gotten much use on it, but it was solid from what I remember. Prolly better options out there though.
93f5YC5.jpg

-Ok, time to get to the Optima's and they're major flaw. The strap is padded, instead of the glove having inserts. In theory this is reasonable. However, the execution is horrible. IDK if anyone has tried the Bad Boy legacy gloves, but they suffer the same problem. The Legacy could've been B gloves, but the strap ruined the. Same thing with Optimas. The strap, when attached, doesn't sit over where the wrist bends. The Tokushu makes it hard to bend your wirst forward, this glove is easy to move your hand in any direction. The problem is that the strap sits too low and therefor does absolutely nothing. This is a major flaw and i would never consider buying these because the support is so bad. You can crank it to the point of discomfort but it does nothing . I'd give these a C and they are something like $120. Total disappointment and failure in the design.
wVd3SjD.jpg

-The strap is tightened to the point of discomfort in this picture, and you can still see it provides zero support. Bad Boy Legacy gloves have the same problem

bRTzz8z.jpg

-Thumb split over time, not sure if its the glove design or use
C5kDVMe.jpg

-RS2v as some of the worst wrist support I've ever seen, quite possibly worse than Winning Velcro. Padding is great, but the straps are kind of a pain in the ass to do yourself. They are tricky and its hard to get them just right. Again, to get the best wrist support they have to be tightened properly, but its difficult to get it exact when the other glove is on your hand. Even with the difficult wrist straps the wrist support is horrible, worse than Optima's, however much more comfortable. I'd just get the RS1 over these since they're so difficult and don't provide any support
3KTa7MR.jpg

- Now on to Triumph United!!

-The Death Adder's in 16 ounce lace-up. Purchased February of 2014 and used as a community sparring glove.

-Beautiful tried and true andput through the ringer. Great, front loaded design, with excellent padding and good wrist support. Really well designed cuff, beautiful graphics. These gloves shine in sparring, but we use em for mitts and bags too. Great all around. We are able to do heavy bag work and mitt work then bring them right into a sparring session. Nice soft padding once broken in and a comfortable hand compartment.

FdyBgDN.jpg

Really good wrist support. You can see the track where the laces go over, but the wrist support is still awesome. You can see, in the pictures how the very tip or points of the inserts rest right where the hand would bend. This works really well and even after all this time I'm still able to hold it horizontally and get very minimal glove flop. Amazing gloves, a steal for $100
qFbuRrB.jpg

duLyuZL.jpg

-Size comparison with Rival Optima. Both 16 ounce.
UiyKXxz.jpg

-Detailed pics. some blood, but other than that the construction is superb
5h1ifMK.jpg

OEtCthN.jpg

-Comparison of size when on my hands. Death Adder gloves are significantly more compact, which I love.

i3qtwym.jpg

IJjtvvp.jpg

When all is said and done Triumph United won the marithon. Not only does Triumph United out last Rival Ring to Cage, Adidas, and Ringside, but they look great while doing it. Only other brand in my gym that lasted as long is Hayabusa, but they show much more signs of wear.

If you haven't tried Triumph United, then I highly recommend them.

Back