Saad Muhammad and Berbick... Mixed fights in Japan

MC Paul Barman

Gold Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Were both of these guys duped into thinking they were going to be having wrestling fights that were more similar to WWE style fights?

A lot of what I've read on the Berbick fight is that he thought it was more a light exhibition. He's clearly stunned and complaining when the leg kicks start.

With Saad's fight you can see as soon as the first leg kick is thrown he looks a bit upset about it, throwing his arms up.

There was people (Kid McCoy and Bradlee being two from here) who claimed that these were matches set up with the sole purpose of embarrassing the American boxer.

Any truth to this?

Were both of these guys duped into thinking they were going to be having wrestling fights that were more similar to WWE style fights?

A lot of what I've read on the Berbick fight is that he thought it was more a light exhibition. He's clearly stunned and complaining when the leg kicks start.

With Saad's fight you can see as soon as the first leg kick is thrown he looks a bit upset about it, throwing his arms up.

There was people (Kid McCoy and Bradlee being two from here) who claimed that these were matches set up with the sole purpose of embarrassing the American boxer.

Any truth to this?
Thats what they did to Ali.

Any truth to this?

never heard of this, wouldn't doubt it. also, berbick was nuts so i could see him easily being duped into something. Ali was Ali, it's really a good thing they got the rules they did with the inoki fight, in fact, they never should have taken the fight. His doctor stated that ali ended up in the hospital for all kinds of bruises to the leg, that, and his next fight being a tough one with norton tells you how stupid it was. the ali fight was a farce, inoki laid around most of the fight and his tools weren't allowed, the few times ali went down or had issues, he looked very uncomforable as any athlete would be who's thrown into a foreign situation like that. Dundee is seen rushing the ring when it looks like inoki might throw elbows. just a dumb idea all around, plain dumb. take a million dollar athlete in his sport and put him in with someone who might take him way out of his comfort zone and injure him.

Any truth to this?
Yea it was suppose to be different rules in both cases of Saad and Berbick and is one reason you never see those guys Asian guys come here and try that shit. It wouldnt work. Plus I heard in Saad case it was suppose to be a work, like in Alis case.
Ali-Inoki was a fake fight. Inoki has said this on TV before, saying that Ali threw a little jab and his entire face went numb. He said if Ali was actually serious, that one punch would have put him(Inoki) out.
No shit. Ali is a real fighter.

Back