S--t you hate in video games.....

Open worlds filled with collectibles and not much personality.

RPGs being dumbed down. In 2008 or so, I was ecstatic that elements of certain rpgs were going into action oriented things like Mass Effect. In the intervening ten years, developers seem to think that having RPG elements constitutes an rpg. Instead, we have a shit ton of action games with skill trees labeled as role playing games.

Just open worlds in general. They've grown on me to an extent, but now they're so frequent that I'm getting sick of them again. To go along with that, games are getting bloated. Nearly all my favorite RPGs are like 20-40 hours in length. Now many games just keep going, and I eventually get sick of them and just rush though the end.

Season passes are bullshit. Thanks assholes for partitioning out the content you likely had done at release to make more money. I remember when they were called expansions, and were actually worth buying.

Multiplayer games should have at LEAST a 15 hour single player campaign. No campaign? F**k you.

Checkpoints are garbage. Bring back quicksaves. If I want to save scum, Thats my business, not anyone elses... if you want to make specific achievements that can only be completed without, no problem.

Any pay to win aspect of a non F2P game.

$60 price on new games (inb4 you sound poor) I have a GTX 1080 in my main comp, and a 970ti in my backup, I have an HTC Vive... but f**k paying for games at release when I can get the GoTY/special edition a month later on sale for like 50% or more off.

Pre-menu, unskippable company logo spam. I already know who the f*ck made it, thats why I bought it.. do you have to brow-beat me every time I play your game?

AI fairness handicaps. Any game publisher that does this needs to be gassed. Make your AI better, or deal with it... but making the players guy miss fast break dunks because you're up by 30 is nonsense, especially when you arent given the same treatment if the comp is torching you.

Fighting game AI that does things that are literally impossible for you to do.

Simple:
LOOTCRATES
P2W
DLC
SEASON PASS

FUCK all that shit

no option to turn off the reticle.
i hate the reticle!

oh, also...

button prompts (or whatever that shit's called. like in resident evil 5/6/4/102 and someone would grab you or some shit. and like in infamous during a couple of the boss fights. and etc)
Press x to defeat boss! Press x to avoid trap! Press x to not die!

They're quicktime events and they're cancer. They were designed initially to make cutscenes interactive and turned into a crutch for devs for a few years.

Press x to defeat boss! Press x to avoid trap! Press x to not die!

They're quicktime events and they're cancer. They were designed initially to make cutscenes interactive and turned into a crutch for devs for a few years.

You're just an idiot. Who the fuck wants to play their games?!

Anything related to microtransactions, DLCs, purposeful grinding to make microtransactions more appealing, and taking out original content out of the initial development cycle to be sold later as DLCs.

$60 to buy / Pay $$$ to win - Multiplayer.

Thjs shit is becoming a fucking cancer to video games.
This. Daybreak killed the everquest franchise with this.

Sporadic AI cones of vision especially in stealth games. I hate how you can almost be right in front of an enemy and they can see you, and then at other times they can't see you like 100ft. away through a wall and a crate. Especially when you are trying to evade them.

Backtracking through areas.
There are times when this can work, but it has to be a new take on the level. Two Betrayals has always been one of my favorite stages from Halo. Dragon Age 2 really suffered from this though.

Sporadic AI cones of vision especially in stealth games. I hate how you can almost be right in front of an enemy and they can see you, and then at other times they can't see you like 100ft. away through a wall and a crate. Especially when you are trying to evade them.

I think you mixed up...

Any pay to win aspect of a non F2P game.

$60 price on new games (inb4 you sound poor) I have a GTX 1080 in my main comp, and a 970ti in my backup, I have an HTC Vive... but f**k paying for games at release when I can get the GoTY/special edition a month later on sale for like 50% or more off.

Unless the game completely sucked and tanked in the reviews, I have NEVER seen a great game go on sale for 50% or more one month after release. 6 months minimum if not longer. Even if it's x-mas, if it's relatively new you won't get it 50% off if it has been selling like hotcakes...

And $60 isn't expensive. They've been 50-60 since the NES days. If you add in inflation, games have never been cheaper...

Generally agree with everything else.

When the opening hour of a game has a built-in tutorial of cut scenes, and there's no way to skip through them on replays.

Rubber banding AI in sports games.

"Cavs are up 100-79. Lebron gets the pass. He's all alone! He...misses the layup? Okay. Back the other way, the AI controlled Bucks have possession. The seventh string bench warmer lets it fly from half court....SWISH!"

oh, also...

button prompts (or whatever that shit's called. like in resident evil 5/6/4/102 and someone would grab you or some shit. and like in infamous during a couple of the boss fights. and etc)
That would be QTEs. Shenmue was the first game I remember encountering them in, and they were all over the fucking place. They're why I avoided Heavy Rain and Azura's Wrath. I did at least try the Heavy Rain demo, and turned it off after having to QTE a fat plod behind a bin and then shake his inhaler for him. Glorified fucking Dragon's Lair.

not being able to pause cutscenes, just started nioh and i noticed i could only skip it, not pause it

important story battles made quicktime events, shadow of mordor's final boss was like that if i remember correctly and also that zombie parkour game, dying light, i loved that game but the final fight was complete bullshit

Movie-length cut-scenes.

Especially ones that make no sense. Fuck you Kojima.

Easy games that are way too forgiving. Like how you can't fail in Skyrim or Oblivion, you just keep trying till you get it.

Back