Ryron & Rener Gracie: Free Technique

I was just wondering about falling to the weak side if it was for choking since this is the guy's best chance to escape the back mount. When you bring him to the strong side is much harder for him to escape. Pretty much every back escape I have seen starts from falling to the weak side as the correct side. Not that there are no alternative escapes starting from the strong side, but it's harder. So falling to the weak side you are also helping the guy escape sort of saying. Obviously depends on your control etc but I'm sure you know where I'm coming from. :)

The key to maintaining the back-mount while falling to the weak-side is a strong underhook (armpit) control. If you have deep and tight underhook control while falling to the weak-side, your opponent can not drive his shoulder blades to the mat and slide out.

This is why, unlike most people, Ryron prefers to connect his hands with the over-hook arm on top of the underhook arm (seatbelt control). This allows him to "pull" his underhooking arm as deep as possible. If the opponent defends the arms by grabbing the top arm, he is ok with that because they set themselves up for the arm isolation (top leg).

The key to maintaining the back-mount while falling to the weak-side is a strong underhook (armpit) control. If you have deep and tight underhook control while falling to the weak-side, your opponent can not drive his shoulder blades to the mat and slide out.

This is why, unlike most people, Ryron prefers to connect his hands with the over-hook arm on top of the underhook arm (seatbelt control). This allows him to "pull" his underhooking arm as deep as possible. If the opponent defends the arms by grabbing the top arm, he is ok with that because they set themselves up for the arm isolation (top leg).

Sure. But I think the reason we seem to be missing each other's point is that you are talking about keeping back and I'm talking escaping from the back. We are coming at it from different angles. I get it, falling to the weak side gives more options to attack. But it also makes it easier to escape. Or are you saying one should then fall to the strong side when trying to escape back mount?

In the first technique he goes inverted. Oh sweet Jesus, he's not doing pure Helio Gracie Jiujitsu! What a traitor. What's next, he's gonna open up his guard? LOL

He's foot lockin fools and goin inverted, what would Helio say? :p

Toe Hold from side mount

bl7xj1uq1P7

https://vine.co/v/bl7xj1uq1P7

#jiujitsutechnique

That's pretty sweet.

That's pretty sweet.

I actually won a tournament like that once as a white belt, going against a purple belt.

Could be because the guy was in his late thirties, hadn't planned on competing and his semifinal lasted about 45 minutes, but hey... :p

If you fall to the strong-side (i.e. arm over the shoulder), then you can only attack with a choke.

If you fall to the weak-side (i.e. arm under the armpit), then you can attack choke or armlock.

More options against a more savy opponent.

Am i missing something, or are the Ezekiel and Kimura grips (and the armbar from it) not accessible from the "Strong side?" It also seems easier to transition to the bow and arrow

On the strong-side, the leg which has to pass over the head for the armlock is stuck under the body of your opponent.

Back