Ryron Gracie vs Andre Galvao superfight

About time. I liked ryron as a person and agree with his style. And I am curious to see how good he is compared to elite blackbelts.

WOW. I think alot of people are unaware of Ryrons ability. This guy is incredibly hard to finish. And his gas tank wont be a problem. Dont get me wrong Galvao is amazing, but sub only is how Ryron trains everyday since he was born, and this guy is a beast. But either way this should be pretty incredible if its true, both are amazing and have equal opprotunity to win. Should be a treat for us all

Glover isn't really a points kind of dude. If he wins, it'll have to be submission. I am curious as to wtf Glover would do with 50/50 though.

I honestly would rather see Rafa x Glover as a no-gi match. I think it would be much more exciting and fast paced. Either way it would be great though, but I really wanted to see them line-up at ADCC last year.

As I said, Glover's darce choke vs. Rafa's anaconda choke lol.

If Ryron gives up mount or back quickly, he's finished. If Ryron subs Andre, then everything I think about BJJ will change.

I don't get why it's such a big deal of Ryron beats or even taps Andre... Andre's got the accolades but Ryron's got the pedigree. Jiu Jitsu has been his life since he was born and I don't recall anyone ever having any kind of story about tapping Ryron or beating him up in the gym either. I think any forgone conclusions on this one are a mistake.

I also think it means jack shit if he wins or loses. The Gracie purists will say the same shit their teachers say and we'll all go on having mixed results at tournaments between guys who train at Humaita and guys who train at Barra and everything will stay the same way it's always been.

Just an awesome match up and one I definitely will be watching.

If Ryron gives up mount or back quickly, he's finished. If Ryron subs Andre, then everything I think about BJJ will change.
what view of yours will change exactly? Ryron doesn't just teach, he trains hard everyday and their academy gets a shitload of world class black belts all the time that come to train so he's exposed to the best in the world, I have Galvao as the favorite but it would be wrong to assume that Ryron is just a teacher who's unaware of the skill level out there

Mendes vs Glover is a waste of time, Rafa will smash him

He'd be the heavy favorite sure. But people underrate Glover so bad. Everyone thought Caio would beat Glover easy too. Most everyone in the adcc chat didn't have him getting Bronze. He's got a great guard and an equally tight top game, and he can has about four chokes he can get from anywhere. Super fast and athletic. Rafa has all those qualities too, and of its in a gi I don't think it's as competitive but to say its a waste of time is overkill to me

In a submission only match I think Ryron has a chance to win. I don't see Ryron getting submitted by Galvao.

I see Galvao taking him down and owning him positionally...might not sub him but I dont see Ryron ever threatening Galvao from any position.

Glover is the best american bjj practioner out there and I think with how well he did at ADCC and beating Caio it sets this match up perfectly. While I do think Rafa would I think Glovers style would keep Rafa on his toes and would prob be one of the best matches in years.

I see Galvao taking him down and owning him positionally...might not sub him but I dont see Ryron ever threatening Galvao from any position.

sub only match, it makes zero sence for andre to own ryron positionally, it wont mean jack shit, the match will end up a draw and basically a draw is ryrons win.

Rafa/Glover would be a tremendously exciting match-up. I think Rafa catches him eventually, but it will be fast-paced.

Galvao dominates with anything he wants.

Are we really talking about Ryron hanging with the ADCC absolute champ? C'mon...

Really? I just don't see a guy who rarely competes being able to keep up with a super athletic, uber conditioned guy like Galvao for 20 minutes.

Ryron's conditioning is crazy, whatever may decide this match it won't be that. As to rarely competing, that doesn't mean he isn't training. He regularly spars with Xande Ribeiro and Kron Gracie, as well as a ton of guys who come through the gym like Ryan Hall. This isn't some random black belt who spends all day teaching blues and purples and never spars with anyone his rank.

I second this. If Ryron wins, all the GJJ purists the Gracies in particular will come out and start again how GJJ is the one and only true form of grappling.

I'm not sure what you mean. Ryron was teaching us the twister today as a counter to a calf slicer. This whole GJJ vs BJJ vs 10th Planet JJ thing isn't real, just something Internet fans use to argue with each other.

what view of yours will change exactly? Ryron doesn't just teach, he trains hard everyday and their academy gets a shitload of world class black belts all the time that come to train so he's exposed to the best in the world, I have Galvao as the favorite but it would be wrong to assume that Ryron is just a teacher who's unaware of the skill level out there

Exactly.

Glover is the best american bjj practioner out there and I think with how well he did at ADCC and beating Caio it sets this match up perfectly. While I do think Rafa would I think Glovers style would keep Rafa on his toes and would prob be one of the best matches in years.

That's arguable... I'd give a slight edge to Lister and Lovato but he's definitely the most fun to watch.

This is tough. I see Ryron's strategy as trying to play spper defensive and not get tapped (which for him would be almost as good as a win considering who he's up against). This puts all the pressure on Galvao to do something and possibly make a mistake.

rafa will sub glover in under 5 minutes... i really enjoy watching both guys fight but rafa is on a completely different level

Agreed. Because this Event is sub only right? When's the last time Glover was subbed? I can't think of any time he's been finished in at least 5 years? Longer? Rafa is starting to finish almost everyone now. Cool dynamic there.

I think Glover said in some magazine recently that he's almost never had his back taken either. Ryan Hall is the only person I know of to take his back. Lots of back take ninjas have never come close to getting on Glovers back. I really hope the match happens.

That's arguable... I'd give a slight edge to Lister and Lovato but he's definitely the most fun to watch.
I'd give a big edge to Lovato Jr. and Lister over Glover. That's a rarified atmosphere up there. Baret Yoshida is on that level too.

JT vs Glover to decide best american player

Back