Ryan Hall TRIANGLE DVD SET review: 50/50 review will be up later.....

thanks for the review. now i want the set even more...

But if there was ever a set to buy from an American BJJ player, it would be this one. Even above Glover's, just because of the detail. The more we as a community suport our own, the more instructionals get made, and the more we all learn.

and how is his deep half guard dvd? deep half is one of my favorite positions, and we I find myself there, it's great, but the entries seem to be the largest problem. How is his entry coverage?

and how is his deep half guard dvd? deep half is one of my favorite positions, and we I find myself there, it's great, but the entries seem to be the largest problem. How is his entry coverage?

I mean, Glover's entry coverage is good, I guess...

His DVD is very cool, entertaining, solid info, and there's TONS of bonus features. But the techniques are not very detailed. He basically tells you how to do a move, then explains it one more time, then does it full speed 2-4 times. If you JUST watch the technique protions of Glover's DVD, you may get like a little over an hour's worth of footage on both discs.

I really thought he was very thorough, UNTIL I saw the Hall DVDs. Still, for 65 bucks, the Glover DVD is well worth it. It's a fun DVD to watch.

He shows a little under 10 entries I think. Definately enough to be effective. But you will not walk away thinking, "I'm gonna be able to implement this RIGHT NOW!" Hall's DVDs do give you that feeling.

If you want to learn the deep half, the Glover DVD is still very good. The really cool thing is that it's all in a gi, but the only time he uses gi-only techniques is during a lapel choke or something.

Entries are also my biggest problem. Lemme watch it again today and I'll come back with a little more detail on the entries.

It's very good, but not comprehensive the way this set seems to be. Here's a review i did on it last week. drew puts his 2 cents in here as well:

http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f12/dvd-review-jeff-glovers-deep-half-guard-1048038/

the best thing about the entries in this set is he shows you how to get there from bad positions first, then he shows you all his favorite most solid entries from good neutral positions. there is not a lot of them, but so far I have not found myself in a position where I'd need to learn another one.

Basically if you're looking for a DVD that gives you a million ways to get to deep half and sweep this will be disappointing, but if you want a handful of solid gold techniques straight out of Glover's game that you'll be able to add to your game and use effectively right away than this is for you. I personally have been analyzing glover's game (poorly) for a while, and I got A LOT out of this set.

Well...that sold me :)

"Thank you for your payment
Your payment for US $97.08 has been processed by PayPal. You will receive an email receipt shortly.

View your order details to print a receipt, see estimated shipping times and payment details.

You got it − Ryan Hall- NEW Grappling Instructional- The Triangle"

groundfigher where's my MUTHAFUCKIN CHECK BITCHES!!!!!!

j/k. ^ You'll love the set buddy.

Drew- How has your 50/50 game been working out since watching the set? What's the higest belt you've had success with so far with it (a week has passed, right)?

As for Jeff's set, I thought it was OKAY at best. Really lacked in detail, and about 99% of the moves can be found on Youtube, and on other instructionals. It also has that same old school trend of having like 10 instant replays after each technique to fill up disc space. I dont understand, in the day and age of DVD players (where we can just put a technique chapter on repeat), why do we need multiple instant replays? I could understand 3 replays at most, one replay from each angle so you can see whats going on from 3 different perspectives, but that should be it.

*Edited for posting on wrong thread, oops, my bad*

To be dead honest, i'll be glad when some of the hype surrounding this set dies down. Some people are white belts and are being overly concerned with the 50/50, instead of being concerned with making sure they are solid in other areas first. That pertains to the Deep Half Guard as well. That game shouldnt be worked on until you have really good defense vs. the 3 most common half guard passes, and until you have a solid half guard game as well.

As for Jeff's set, I thought it was OKAY at best. Really lacked in detail, and about 99% of the moves can be found on Youtube, and on other instructionals. It also has that same old school trend of having like 10 instant replays after each technique to fill up disc space. I dont understand, in the day and age of DVD players (where we can just put a technique chapter on repeat), why do we need multiple instant replays? I could understand 3 replays at most, one replay from each angle so you can see whats going on from 3 different perspectives, but that should be it.

Interesting view - I can agree on that. What belt are you, to put it in perspective?

However, you *may* want to post this in the actual 50/50 thread, rather than in the triangle thread...just sayin'

Interesting view - I can agree on that. What belt are you, to put it in perspective?

However, you *may* want to post this in the actual 50/50 thread, rather than in the triangle thread...just sayin'

Fixed.

To be dead honest, i'll be glad when some of the hype surrounding this set dies down. Some people are white belts and are being overly concerned with the 50/50, instead of being concerned with making sure they are solid in other areas first. That pertains to the Deep Half Guard as well. That game shouldnt be worked on until you have really good defense vs. the 3 most common half guard passes, and until you have a solid half guard game as well.

I see what you're saying but disagree on a few things. Mostly just on the Glover set. I thought the "lack of detail" on this DVD made it easier to sit through and learn from, and the repeats from different angles is personally all I care about in a DVD. I'm a very visual learner though. I watch a lot of youtube videos, but none ever had an impact on my game the way the Glover set did.

I see what you're saying but disagree on a few things. Mostly just on the Glover set. I thought the "lack of detail" on this DVD made it easier to sit through and learn from, and the repeats from different angles is personally all I care about in a DVD. I'm a very visual learner though. I watch a lot of youtube videos, but none ever had an impact on my game the way the Glover set did.

I dont disagree with you too much Mikey. I dont mind the replays, but I thought 3 should be more than enough, especially with the multiple angles. And as far as details are concerned, there are far better sources for Deep Half aside from this set that im positive that you'd like.

Drew- How has your 50/50 game been working out since watching the set? What's the higest belt you've had success with so far with it (a week has passed, right)?

Honestly.....

I haven't grappled since last Friday, the day I got the DVDs. But even then, the only times I ever do the 50/50 are on green grapplers where I can play around. I don't really think I should be focusing on the 50/50 very much right now. I'm really trying to get my gi game on the same level as my no-gi game. That's really my goal, and will probably take until next spring before they kind of even out. I don't think the 50/50 is gonna help me even the 2. If anything, it'll make it worse. I'm trying to do at least 2-3 gi classes for every no-gi class. It used to be the opposite.

Sorry I couldn't give you a better answer. I still think the DVD is incredible, and when I do work on the 50/50, it will be a great asset.

Drew any updates on your immediate game improvement.?

I keep debating back and forth on this one vs Cobrhinas one.

I'm 1/2 way through drilling the triangle DVD set, and I've noticed a marked improvement in my triangle game. I like his teaching style. It is based on sound principles. Ryan Hall explains why to do things - not just what to do. Some of the material is covered by his earlier seminar tour. A lot of the other material starts with basics that every grappler should know. However, Ryan Hall explains things in a certain hierarchy or importance, which should improve your percentages.

In addition, the little details here and there make a big difference when performing those moves. Then he moves on to more advanced moves. I've been going through the DVD set slowly - drilling each lesson with the attention it needs. This is better than watching the entire thing at once. It should take you about a month to get through the entire thing, though you should drill the material longer to actually get good at it.

Drew any updates on your immediate game improvement.?

I keep debating back and forth on this one vs Cobrhinas one.

I would ask you how long you've been training in a gi for the Cobrinha set. I'm only a blue, so while the Cobrinha set is probably the best produced set I've ever seen, with ridiculous bonus content, 90% of the stuff on there is over my head and quite frankly, I feel I need to get my basics better before doing all his inverted spider guard type stuff. I will also say that a lot of what Cobra does works for HIM. For example, many sweeps end up with him in the same passing position. That means, if you do the sweep how he shows, you also should know how to pass from where he ends up. There's not really any passing on the DVD. The closed guard and butterfly guard sections I got a lot from. But I'm just beggining to crack the gi code.

The Ryan Hall Triangle set, however, will improve your triangle game whether you are a first day student or a brown belt. If you want to see a bunch of fancy, cool stuff that you may be able to use down the road, Cobrinha's set is awesome. If you want immediate results, get the triangle set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back