Ryan Hall TRIANGLE DVD SET review: 50/50 review will be up later.....

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Drew Foster, Sep 19, 2009.

1. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Okay, I know everyone has been waiting for someone to review Ryan's EXTREMELY large sets on the 50/50 guard and the Triangle. Each set has 3 DVDs. The first two DVDs in each set are about an hour and a half each. The last DVD in each set is about one hour. So the total runtime of these DVDs in 8 hours, most of which I digested in ONE sitting, for YOU guys, so that I could go ahead and get this review up. I'm not quite done with the 50/50 set, so that will be up later tonight or tommorow. I'll begin with the Triangle set:

DVD 1:

Ryan takes a very unique approach on both setss. Instead of showing entries and setups into the position, then showing how to finish and work within the position, Ryan does the opposite. Ryan spends the entire first hour of the Triangle series by simply explaining and demonstrating the mechanics and principles of HIS triangle. After watching, I really believe he has the best triangle mechanics of anyone in the grappling world. He emphasis how to properly lock the triangle after it is threatened, and then shows 3 ways of obtaining the perpendicular angle. If that angle is obtained, it doesn't matter where the trapped arm is or what it does. The focus is on 3 triangles: The regular triangle, the reverse triangle, and the switch figure-four. The switch figure four, is when you can't lock the triangle, and you switch to the reverse triangle, then switch back. It's important to know that this DVD set is about all 3 types of triangles. He shows some hip explosion drills, and then some alternative finishes, like armbarring or wristlocking the trapped arm, or doing a reverse armbarring or Kimura on the outside/free arm.

DVD 2

The DVD starts with some interesting philosophies on breaking an opponents posture. Ryan makes fun of 10th Planet without saying any names. Ryan says that if you break an opponents posture directly onto you, then you have no good offensive options, and have to resort to doing "silly crap" like throwing you leg up over their back and grabbing it, etc. Whenever Ryan breaks posture, he angles off to one side, in order to easily get triangles, omoplatas, armlocks, etc. After showing 4 ways to break posture, Ryan shows a tap through triangle, a kick through triangle, and a shin smash triangle. Those are the 3 basic triangle setups for his game. The rest of this disc covers combinations. Flower sweep to triangles, Hip bump to triangles, and triangles from the omoplata, armlock, guillotine, and Kimura. The last three techniques are half guard triangles. The Granby roll into the triangle from half guard was especially awesome!

DVD 3

Here Ryan goes into some advanced stuff, and some top triangles. If anyone has his original 4 disc Triangle set, I should go ahead and tell you that there is much on that set that isn't showed here. There was an entire 40 minute DVD on his previous Lloyd Irvin set about Triangles from the top. On this DVD, we only get about 3 triangles from the top. However, Ryan mentions that his top triangle finish pressure has changed since his first set, and he believes this set is a better indicator of efficient top triangles. If you can get your hands on the old set through a tracker, it's still cool.

Anyway, Ryan starts off showing his infamous inverted guard setup into the triangle. He then mentions that people have become hip to it, and that he now only does the reverse triangle from the inverted guard, which is much simpler and easier to get, because you don't have to whip all the way around. He shows how to do a triangle and reverse triangle when you have someone's back, but makes sure to emphasize that the rear Naked Choke should always be the preffered method to finish from the back. He shows a mounted triangle, side control triangle, KOB triangle, and reverse KOB triangle, and ends it with Genki Sudo's hopping triangle when you're standing in front of someone's open guard.

The real review starts here. Ryan Hall is quite simply an INCREDIBLE teacher. The first DVD of this set, is mostly talking and lecturing while showing examples, but it's worth it. Ryan approaches both DVD sets from a very scientific viewpoint. He is always talking about and showing proper mechanics and angles. He's constantly showing how a few inches can mean the difference. I imagine all experience levels will throroughly enjoy this DVD set. Begginers can see how to REALLY do a proper triangle, and more experienced people can tweak their triangles where they see fit. The DVD is definately about Ryan. If you're neutral about him, you'll love it, and become a fan. if you like Ryan Hall, you probably already have the DVD. if you don't like Ryan Hall, nothing I say will probably change your mind. Ryan Hall shows so many examples of where black belts do this stuff wrong, and as I watch a lot of black belt matches, he's often correct.

If you want a set on the Triangle that is comprehensive, and very scientific in its approach, this is a good set for you. Ryan seems more like an engineer that is explaining how to do controlled demolitions than a JJ teacher. It's a very interesting approach. The entire set is no-gi, but can apply to the gi.

The big downside is that, as all groundfighter products, it is very expensive. There are also no bonus features, like those common on most of Budovideos products. For that I have to take a star away from the DVD.

4/5 possible stars.

If you have any questions, I'll be checking this post throughout the day.

2. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

Great review Drew! I appreciate you taking the time and effort to do this for us. They should send you your money back because you probably just sold them a couple thousand dollars worth of DVDs lol.

3. gannas

gannas Green Belt

where can I purchase these dvd sets?

4. DLy

DLy Orange Belt

5. Doh!

Doh! Orange Belt

Someone should tell his parents that funding only one year of engineering classes in college may have been useful after all. Lol!

6. cheath

cheath Blue Belt

I got my set on Ebay....$150 for BOTH 50/50 AND Triangle!

7. codysweet02

codysweet02 Brown Belt

No shit lol.

8. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

I actually think my review was pretty lacking.

I think I should add on and say that I DO NOT advise trying to even watch one set of DVDs in one sitting. My mind was literally pretty dumb when I typed that review. There is just SO MUCH information being thrown at you in these DVDs. I have not ever seen a martial arts instructional that was as in depth as these. That may not be a good thing depending on your preferences as a consumer. Ryan Hall talks A LOT in these sets. He's also showing examples while he's talking, but after watching one DVD you begin to feel like Ryan literally knows everything there is to know about grappling. By the end of the Triangle set, he would say things like, "and this isn't a mount instructional but here's a few things to keep in mind..." and I was like, "Please put one out then!" I started feeling like I wanted a instructional on everything. You will really be spoiled with this set, because it's so comprehensive.

It's like...... the Triangle is done. There's really nothing left to be said about it, and no one should attempt to make another DVD about it. Ever. I mean sure, someone could make a DVD showing more setups, but the meat and potatoes of the Triangle AS A POSITION AND AS A SUBMISSION is all right here in 4 hours.

The 50/50 set has more actual setups than the Triangle set. About 1/3rd of the 50/50 set is theory and principle, and about 1/2 of the Triangle set is. That doesn't mean Ryan is just talking to you and not doing anything, but mechanics and human anatomy are the vessels through which Ryan Hall teaches on both sets.

Just to play devil's advocate, Cobrinha's set for example, is filled with very creative, and beautiful techniques. But the instructions and explanations are not as in detail. This DVD is the opposite. Some people like to see DVDs where there is a lot of emphasis on flow, and feel. More artsy JJ... Ryan Hall's set is based on information to make you better at the positions covered. Period. It's straight to the point, ableit long winded. There's a lot to cover.

Along the way in the Triangle set you learn tips on how to make other submissions like your armlocks, Kimuras, omoplata, and guillotines better. Hell, you learn how to make your closed guard better. You also learn why the rubber guard is a "solution to a problem that you create for yourself."

It's a meaty set, and if you think that's good, just remember to take some notes.

My 4/5 review still stands. I really wish that you could watch some of Ryan's matches, or see some outtakes. Cryo has done a really good job with that on their Glover, Cobrinha, and yes, even Quick's DVD set.

But on the other hand, Ryan Hall gives you so much info, it's almost unfair to ask for anything else.

It would be really cool to see Ryan show some matches where he uses techniques shown in his sets. There are plenty all over Youtube, and it would have been nice to have them in the sets. Especially if Ryan would have commentated over them, which he used to do on youtube back when he was with Lloyd.

9. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

Did Ryan really do that?

10. TalkShowOnMute

TalkShowOnMute dancingonthecorpsesashes

Nice! I really only want the Triangle set myself, and they have it for $86 on Ebay, but I'm still too poor for that....I'm gonna have to wait it out until there are some used copies for sale in circulation.

11. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

Great review! i'm in Florida so mine still didn't arrive yet.

Take a tip from me, NEVER buy WMA stuff off their website. they have an EBAY store where they always sell everything for WAY cheaper. You can pick this set up on Ebay for like 87 buck, or both sets for $150.

12. Doh!

Doh! Orange Belt

Go to one year of college? Yep. I think he discovered BJJ halfway through his freshman year and decided that was where he wanted to spend his time. Not a smart decision for most, but seems to have worked out for him.

13. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

*kicks self in the ass*

14. Dark_Phoenix

Dark_Phoenix Blue Belt

I really wish i could afford the triangle DVD, but after shelling out 100 for a new gi bag and some other DVDs im strapped at the moment!

15. MisterSambo

MisterSambo Black Belt

Is this one worth it if you got allready the Lloyd Irvin one from Hall?

16. BruceLeeMMA

BruceLeeMMA Purple Belt

Drew,

Who are Ryan's partners on the DVDs. Is it Seth Smith throughout?
    50/50 Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Instructors

Also curious but does he blink alot on these sets or was that just a problem on his other DVDs.

17. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

He has Tourrette's syndrome, so I don't think the blinking is going away anytime soon.

18. Drew Foster

Drew Foster Silver Belt

The blinking on here is the best it's ever been. It's not that bad at all. I didn't notice. I should have mentioned that.

19. fiftysvn

fiftysvn Purple Belt

fucking awesome

20. Mikey Triangles

Mikey Triangles Bending Joints the Wrong Way Since 1985

I still didn't receive my set yet, but in all the sample videos Ryan was using his purple belt Tim Koren, who has really been ripping it up on the competition scene this year.