Ryan Bader will make '3 to 4 times' more in sponsorship money with Bellator

AGEZ909

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Ryan Bader will make '3 to 4 times' more in sponsorship money with Bellator
By Mike Bohn April 28, 2017 2:15 pm

ryan-bader-ufc-fight-night-1002.jpg

The UFC Athlete Outfitting partnership with Reebok hit many fighters hard in the pocket in terms of sponsorship dollars. Veteran light heavyweight Ryan Bader said he was one of them.

Bader (22-5 MMA, 0-0 BMMA), who joined the Bellator roster this year after a lengthy UFC tenure, was the only active 205-pound fighter in the sport with 20 or more UFC appearances. That put him just below the highest tier for a non-title-fight fighter, which comes with a sponsorship payout of $15,000 per fight.

Compared to his divisional colleagues, Bader’s earnings were high on the scale. However, he said it was a significant decrease from what he made earlier in his career before the Reebok deal came into play. That’s changed now that he’s with Bellator, though.

With Bader once again allowed to secure his own sponsors, he said already has a full docket of supporters lined up for his promotional debut against Bellator light heavyweight champion Phil Davis (17-3 MMA, 4-0 BMMA) at Bellator 180, which takes place June 24 at Madison Square Garden in New York City.

“It will be three to four times what I was getting with Reebok, for sure,” Bader, who’s No. 4 in the USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie MMA light-heavyweight rankings, told MMAjunkie. “I had a couple really good blue-chip sponsors that have stood by us through the whole Reebok deal that are still there – like the American Ethanols and things of that sort. Then we got some new sponsors coming on board. We’re full for this fight.”

Bader’s situation isn’t necessarily the norm, though. Former UFC champion Benson Henderson, who was among the first in what’s become a notable list of fighters to move from the UFC to Bellator, said he struggled to find solid sponsors for himself because the market had largely dried up from its previous state.

For Bader, though, he said he was able to keep alive relationships from earlier in his career. He said that additional funding keeps his mind at ease going into his Bellator debut, and now he can focus solely on taking the belt from Davis at Bellator 180.

“People are like, ‘Oh, you’re in Bellator, so it’s going to be harder to find sponsors,'” Bader said. “That wasn’t the case at all. There’s more opportunity in that aspect, and we’re full. I’m getting much more money than I was in the UFC in sponsorship revenue. I’m feeling good, I’m excited, and I’m happy to be in Bellator. I’m coming for the belt, and I can’t wait. I’m going to make the best of it.”

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/04/ryan-b...times-more-in-sponsorship-money-with-bellator

Good for him glad he's getting more money he's earned it.

Hell yes! Get that money, Bader! The Reebok deal is highway robbery, and only benefits Dana and the UFC owners.

Ryan Bader said he was averaging around 90k in sponsors in the UFC before Reebok. Brendan Schaub retired largely due to this too, he was making 6 figures in sponsors each fight and once they did away with that and brought in Reebok fighting just wasn't financially worth it. A lot of fighters lost huge amounts of income from this and it's the biggest leveraging power Bellator could ever get to be able to sign top guys.

Fighters who say Reebok is a good thing are usually lying, I mean why would they speak out the UFC hates that and it's a bad career move. Even prospects with 1 or 2 UFC fights would often make a lot more in sponsors than the 2,500 Reebok now pays them for their first 5 fights in the promotion. The UFC is a lying greedy piece of shit when it comes to sponsors too, they said they are doing it for the fighters, it will be better for the sport, all the fighters will get paid more now...No, it was a means to control their stable like animals. Look at the canvas the fighters now fight on...do you just see Reebok? No you Budweiser, Monster, MetroPCS, Geico, Up coming movie releases etc...They cover every inch of that canvas in millions of dollars worth of sponsors each time they put on a card and keep all of the money for their fucking selves.

Last edited:
Ryan Bader said he was averaging around 90k in sponsors in the UFC before Reebok. Brendan Schaub retired largely due to this too, he was making 6 figures in sponsors each fight and once they did away with that and brought in Reebok fighting just wasn't financially worth it. A lot of fighters lost huge amounts of income from this and it's the biggest leveraging power Bellator could ever get to be able to sign top guys.

Fighters who say Reebok is a good thing are usually lying, I mean why would they speak out the UFC hates that and it's a bad career move. Even prospects with 1 or 2 UFC fights would often make a lot more in sponsors than the 2,500 Reebok now pays them for their first 5 fights in the promotion. The UFC is a lying greedy piece of shit when it comes to sponsors too, they said they are doing it for the fighters, it will be better for the sport, all the fighters will get paid more now...No, it was a means to control their stable like animals. Look at the canvas the fighters now fight on...do you just see Reebok? No you Budweiser, Monster, MetroPCS, Geico, Up coming movie releases etc...They cover every inch of that canvas in millions of dollars worth of sponsors each time they put on a card and keep all of the money for their fucking selves.
Good. Its their broadcast, their IP and their visual rights. In no other industry in the world can you advertise on someones else medium for free. The fact that the fighters got to use their sponsors on the UFC's IP and property was a favor, not a right.

Good. Its their broadcast, their IP and their visual rights. In no other industry in the world can you advertise on someones else medium for free. The fact that the fighters got to use their sponsors on the UFC's IP and property was a favor, not a right.

Lol it didn't even take a page for a UFC defending shill to come in.

If it weren't for sponsorships there wouldn't have been fighters able to train like professional athletes and the sport wouldn't have gotten this far. If they're going to pay them peanuts they it's fair to let them try and make their own money. There is no product without the fighters.

If it weren't for sponsorships there wouldn't have been fighters able to train like professional athletes and the sport wouldn't have gotten this far. If they're going to pay them peanuts they it's fair to let them try and make their own money. There is no product without the fighters.
Fair does not exist in business. Like I said in no professional organization will you ever see a individual non-employee gain financial compensation for the usage of something that you do not own. There is no other entertainment venue in the world that would allow that to happen and the fact that the UFC did was a favor, not a requirement.

He's earning what he deserves

He earnt a ufc title shot but they dont give what is deserved

Some undercard fighters were making close to 10k before rebook I remember mittrione firing his manager because he had only made 8 k even though he got bumped to the main card. I bet Bader would have made more in the UFC in the fights he won with appearance and win bonus but his bellator contract is just straight up pay no win bonus.

Seems like this was the absolute best contract for Bader.

Instead of making something like 100show,100win + 15 reebok in the UFC, he is making 200flat+60sponsorship in Bellator.

Obviously those are just numbers I threw together, but I'm applying the same basic idea

More guaranteed + more sponsorship = no brainer

LeBron and Steph Curry make millions wearing sponsor's shoes during NBA broadcasts and the NBA doesn't see a dime of it.

LeBron and Steph Curry make millions wearing sponsor's shoes during NBA broadcasts and the NBA doesn't see a dime of it.
Not only that, dude isn't even comparing apples to apples.

A better suited comparison would be mma sponsorship to boxing sponsorship of fighters. Boxing has been around for over a century, yet fighters are still bringing their own personal sponsors to the ring.

The dude you quoted conveniently fails to mention how it is the fighters who are pulling the weight.

It was the tito and ken shamrock who kept the UFC afloat when UFC had absolutely no TV deal. The fighters will always be the product.

Reebok was just a cash grab at the expense of the fighters. Anyone who agrees with gutting their fighters financially to add to their own pile of gold isn't a fan of the sport.

Bader would have made more per fight if he won in the UFC with the appearance and win but his bellator is guaranteed money no win bonus so Bader rightfully took the guaranteed money. Plus Bader has a actual chance off been champ

Lol it didn't even take a page for a UFC defending shill to come in.

And he's not wrong.

Make your case why the UFC should allow the sponsors to get free advertisement? Go ahead.
Off the top of my head, in a major sports business, I can't think of one league that provides free advertising. Can you ?

Now, does it make sense for Bobs fasteners to shell out $100k for rights to advertise? Probably not, ROI isn't there.
That's not the ufc's problem.

Reebok discussion is fair game, terrible deal for fighters.

I'm elated to hear this news, especially after seeing Thomson, Bendo and Warren all take huge hits lately. I will say, I'll believe it when I see it in regards to a full spread of sponsors for Bader, but if this is truly the case, this is good to hear.

A 3x -4x increase in sponsorship $$ amounts to $135k-$180k per year for Bader. (He made $15k in his last UFC fight, so 3x - 4x $15k means $45k - $60k per fight, and he is contractually guaranteed 3 fights per year in Bellator).

Back