Russia's PAK-FA Entering Service in 2018

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Russia’s Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA fifth-generation stealth fighter may enter service in 2018, but the Kremlin is not in a particular hurry to buy the expensive new jet in large numbers. Meanwhile, Russia is continuing to develop new engines for the T-50, which is currently powered by interim Saturn AL-41F1 afterburning turbofans.

"We are not in a hurry," Russian deputy defense minister Yuri Borisov told the TASS News agency [3]. "Most likely, this will be already the next state armament program, i.e. 2018-2025."

Because the Kremlin does not see procurement of the PAK-FA as an urgent matter, the Russian military is taking the time to ensure the aircraft is tested and works properly before embarking on massive acquisitions program. "We are holding an operational evaluation and have purchased limited batches,” Borisov said. “We’ll see how they will operate in practice. We are now revealing all drawbacks and making changes to ensure that we purchase practically proven examples when time comes."

Russia’s Sukhoi T-50 PAK-FA fifth-generation stealth fighter may enter service in 2018, but the Kremlin is not in a particular hurry to buy the expensive new jet in large numbers. Meanwhile, Russia is continuing to develop new engines for the T-50, which is currently powered by interim Saturn AL-41F1 afterburning turbofans.

"We are not in a hurry," Russian deputy defense minister Yuri Borisov told the TASS News agency [3]. "Most likely, this will be already the next state armament program, i.e. 2018-2025."

Because the Kremlin does not see procurement of the PAK-FA as an urgent matter, the Russian military is taking the time to ensure the aircraft is tested and works properly before embarking on massive acquisitions program. "We are holding an operational evaluation and have purchased limited batches,” Borisov said. “We’ll see how they will operate in practice. We are now revealing all drawbacks and making changes to ensure that we purchase practically proven examples when time comes."

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1755881-russia-s-pak-fa-entering-service-in-2018

According to a posting on the BMPD blog [3]—a product of the Moscow-based Center for the Analysis of Strategies and Technologies—the LMFS will use a canard configuration reminiscent of the now-defunct Mikoyan Project 1.44 design, which was developed in the late 1980s as the Soviet Union’s answer to the Lockheed Martin F-22 Raptor.

This story was originally published by The National Interest

The aircraft will likely have an empty weight of roughly 33,000lbs and a maximum takeoff weight of 55,000lbs. The aircraft will be equipped with internal weapons bays and advanced avionics—assuming it ever reaches fruition.

As currently envisioned, the new fighter will be equipped with a pair of the Klimov VK-10M afterburning turbofans—which are advanced derivatives of the MiG-29-series’ RD-33 powerplant—rated at 22,000lb thrust each. That should enable the aircraft to reach speeds of between Mach 1.8 and Mach 2.0 with a range of 2485 miles when configured with external droptanks.

It is possible that Mikoyan may revise the design into a single-engine configuration if the PAK-FA’s next-generation izdeliye 30 engines reach a suitable level of maturity in time. There are few details available about the izdeliye 30 engines, but the new powerplant is expected to deliver 24,054lbs dry thrust and 39,566lbs [4] of afterburning thrust.

Only time will tell if Russia and RSK-MiG can shepherd the LMFS into production. Developing a fifth-generation fighter is a long and expensive endeavor as the Sukhoi is discovering with its T-50 PAK-FA air superiority aircraft.

http://www.scout.com/military/warrior/story/1754969-russia-is-working-on-a-new-stealth-fighter

They already started work on the f-35 competitor

A non-stealth, stealth air superiority fighter. Let's see how that works out for them.

A non-stealth, stealth air superiority fighter. Let's see how that works out for them.

hard to say where they're at in terms of Stealth tech, not as good as us obviously or nato. The engines will sure light up like a Christmas tree on radar, but ill say the PAK-FA looks way better then the damn F-22

T-50-new.jpg

hard to say where they're at in terms of Stealth tech, not as good as us obviously or nato. The engines will sure light up like a Christmas tree on radar, but ill say the PAK-FA looks way better then the damn F-22

T-50-new.jpg

Look somewhat similar

Lockheed_Martin_F-22A_Raptor_JSOH.jpg

yf-21-fighter.gif

idk i think they took some inspiration from anime

i take it that the russians could design great planes but producing them in any meaningful numbers is a whole other story.

i take it that the russians could design great planes but producing them in any meaningful numbers is a whole other story.

they will probably have more then the F-22 that will be 100% sure

Hmm not necessarily. If they get LMFS off the ground and it proves more cost effective I could see them shifting resources to the cheaper jet.

Then again, between the Flanker and Foxhound fleets they have hundreds of long ranged interceptors to replace - a mature PAK FA design would fit the bill rather well as a successor to both types.

Hmm not necessarily. If they get LMFS off the ground and it proves more cost effective I could see them shifting resources to the cheaper jet.

Then again, between the Flanker and Foxhound fleets they have hundreds of long ranged interceptors to replace - a mature PAK FA design would fit the bill rather well as a successor to both types.

Its been said Mig is designing a new interceptor.

Either way Russia is huge and needs fighters for coverage.

US ok but nato lol, what stealth did those pussies ever build ?

US ok but nato lol, what stealth did those pussies ever build ?

BAE has built a few stealth prototypes and SAAB was looking at designing a 5th generation fighter.

the new mig fighter is probably a baby mig-1.44

the US has like a couple hundred F22s already. they are ahead. whats the most advanced plane the russians have and how many of them are in service?

the US has like a couple hu
ndred F22s already. they are ahead. whats the most advanced plane the russians have and how many of them are in service?

they are still testing, about 8 last time i looked. Also the navy is planning on using them on the next carrier.

"The evaluation of the aircraft systems, the integration of aviation weapons, including guided air-to-air, air-to-surface missiles, as well as bombs is underway. This is a very important stage of the test, which, in fact, aims to confirm all the fighting qualities of the T-50," Borisov told Rossiyskaya Gazeta in an interview.

https://sputniknews.com/russia/201702211050919365-russia-t-50-tests/

1025694741.png

its testing its doing munitions testing and testing the targeting/firing computers.

its also to get a special engine for it by 2020(not that it means much because the F-22 will be upgraded again in 2019)

BAE has built a few stealth prototypes and SAAB was looking at designing a 5th generation fighter.

the new mig fighter is probably a baby mig-1.44

Still does not show their ability to actually put it to practice. We shall see if the frogs manage a 6th gen stealth or not.

144 was a sexy beast, a baby with more stealth will be interesting.

T-50-new.jpg
Meh. It is pretty, but we know pretty damn well that until it gets new engines, which isn't happening by the time they role them into service, they are not really stealth. It is a plane that has made engineering sacrifices towards stealth, but is not really stealth.

Meh. It is pretty, but we know pretty damn well that until it gets new engines, which isn't happening by the time they role them into service, they are not really stealth. It is a plane that has made engineering sacrifices towards stealth, but is not really stealth.

And what is really stealth ? since there is no such thing as truly stealth. Just varying degree of it at distance.

Rusksi always had a different war mentality, no surprise they aren't following muricas obsession with stealth.

True. I'm just skeptical of whether they will be able to afford PAK FA to replace their Flankers, another design to replace the MiG31, another to replace their Fulcrums, and PAK-DA on top of all that.

True. I'm just skeptical of whether they will be able to afford PAK FA to replace their Flankers, another design to replace the MiG31, another to replace their Fulcrums, and PAK-DA on top of all that.

They cant not to.

Their military industry is all they have, they need the fighters and will sale a few to other for damn sure. Time for Vladdy to send a few more billionaires to siberia ad take their assets.

They cant not to.

Their military industry is all they have, they need the fighters and will sale a few to other for damn sure. Time for Vladdy to send a few more billionaires to siberia ad take their assets.

I am sure they will eventually - it's just a question of with what and when. I don't see this block obsolescence issue going away for quite a while, which is probably why they're still taking deliveries of Su35s and Su34s and modernising the MiG31s to BM standard.

I am sure they will eventually - it's just a question of with what and when. I don't see this block obsolescence issue going away for quite a while, which is probably why they're still taking deliveries of Su35s and Su34s and modernising the MiG31s to BM standard.

well they're apparently working on mig31 replacement? lol i dont think the pakFA counts as a interceptor.

Su-35 doesn't have a 5th gen replacement planned does it?

Back