RUSSIAN TIE ATTACKS FROM COMBAT SAMBO EUROPEAN CHAMPION

Quiet Russian

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
The cross grip offers a variety of different attacks and turns out to be a serious weapon in a sambist's arsenal when used in the right way.
Watch Andrey Kalinin, Combat Sambo European Champion, show some options off this grip.

Good video, nice and straight to the point)

It seems like this cross gripping the sleeve, and then around the back grip while standing off to the side of opponents body is a much more dominant grip than just same side sleeve, and collar.

It seems like this cross gripping the sleeve, and then around the back grip while standing off to the side of opponents body is a much more dominant grip than just same side sleeve, and collar.
Once you get it, there is not much your opponent could do from that position.

Sometimes I do uchimata from that grip, I love it, even in Judo I am automatized to do it !

Once you get it, there is not much your opponent could do from that position.

So in Sambo is grip fighting basically trying to get grips similar to what is shown?

Also, I imagine there are still ways to get out of that grip, or at least protect yourself. I can see how it will be hard to counter if someone has that grip on you.

So in Sambo is grip fighting basically trying to get grips similar to what is shown?

Also, I imagine there are still ways to get out of that grip, or at least protect yourself. I can see how it will be hard to counter if someone has that grip on you.

Posting and circling before it's solidified basically.

There are fewer grip restrictions in sambo, so while people still throw from the "standard" grips, putting in extra effort to get to very very dominant grips like the Russian cross grip and the Georgian grip are worth it, whereas they aren't in judo because you have to fire immediately if you get them or risk penalty. The belt and middle of the back both provide more solid grips in the Kurtka than they do in a gi.

Great showing of options from that grip. I usually go for his far armpit rather than his belt, but I will try it.

One of my favorite "surprise" attacks is from that grip. I get in position for the sacrifice throw (the first one in the video) and instead go for a rolling kneebar from that grip.

Back