Russia to raise retirement age above life expectancy

JosephDredd

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44495136

Russia propose raising retirement age above life expectancy

Why have a pension if you would not live long enough to receive it?

This is the question Russian people are asking after the Moscow government increased the male retirement age to two years above the average life expectancy.

The proposals - including an increase of VAT to 20% - came as many Russians were watching their national team beat Saudi Arabia 5-0 in the opening game of the World Cup, with social media users criticising the timing of the announcement.

"While everyone was busy with the opening of World Cup 2018, Medvedev announced the pension age in Russia should be increased," tweeted Yoshkin Mole. "I remind you: 43% of males in Russia will not live until their retirement age!"

Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev proposed increasing the pension age for men from 60 to 65 years old, and increasing the pension age for women from 55 to 63 years old.

The draft legislation was discussed in the Russian cabinet on Thursday, with many pointing out on social media it would make retirement age higher than the average male life expectancy in Russia.

According to data firm World Bank, only 57% of Russian males are expected to live past 65 - a figure which has not changed in the past 50 years. In contrast, women are expected to live to 75.

'The World Cup was your pension'
The announcement has been met with outrage on Twitter, with Russian officials accused of using the football tournament as a diversion.

"What a great distraction football is", said one person on Twitter. "While we are happy, the pensions and VAT have been increased. Olé, olé!"

Other users criticised those celebrating after the victory over Saudi Arabia, while some have speculated that any money saved by increasing pension age has already been spent.

"Did the Olympic Games take place? Yes. Was [the Crimean] bridge built? Yes. Is there a World Cup? Yes. Then why aren't you happy about pensions? That was your pension!" tweeted VID.

Others agreed, with one person saying they would choose pensions over football matches, and opposition politician Ilya Yashin calling the Russian government's proposals "mad" on Facebook.

Surviving to retirement age has been labelled "a new quest in Russia" - leading @DurdomOnline to ask: "Why do you need a pension if you won't live to see it?"

This reminds me of when, during the election, Jeb said Americans would have to get used to working more hours for less money.

To be fair in 1950 the social Security age in the US was 65 and US Male Life Expectancy was 65

To be fair in 1950 the social Security age in the US was 65 and US Male Life Expectancy was 65
In the 50s didn't they take into account all the guys that were getting shot in wars at like 25 into that stat too though?

I swear I remember reading back in like high school part of the reason for crazy discrepancies between men and women in the 50s and such for life expectancy is all the men who were killed in the World Wars for some reason were in the stats for life expectancy.

In the 50s didn't they take into account all the guys that were getting shot in wars at like 25 into that stat too though?

I swear I remember reading back in like high school part of the reason for crazy discrepancies between men and women in the 50s and such for life expectancy is all the men who were killed in the World Wars for some reason were in the stats for life expectancy.

Life Expectancy for 1950 is for people born in 1950.

LOL

And the Russian GDP (2015 numbers) was half the size of California's.
Italy has a larger economy.

Time to cut down on the vodka.

In Soviet Russia, you no collect retirement! Retirement collect you!

More generous than the US which has a retirement age of 67 for those born after 1960.

Social Security DEPENDS on lots of people dying before they get much benefit, this is the only way it can afford to pay those that live to 100.

giphy.gif

And this is the country Drump and his cucks worship. Embarrassing

NK pee tape confirmed. That would be like 3 of them now.

Lol Trump never thought it was weird that his prostitutes in dictatorships kept peeing on things connected to Obama. #deepstateframe

https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-trending-44495136

This reminds me of when, during the election, Jeb said Americans would have to get used to working more hours for less money.
I remember years ago university professor (lawyer) said that from the looks of Russian law Russian government can stop paying pensions to a people with kids. Like, Russian laws (and I think he said Chinese too) says that kids should care about their parents. So government can say, "all right Russians, we will continue to give pensions to people without children, and those who have children should ask their children and not government if they need money".

I remember years ago university professor (lawyer) said that from the looks of Russian law Russian government can stop paying pensions to a people with kids. Like, Russian laws (and I think he said Chinese too) says that kids should care about their parents. So government can say, "all right Russians, we will continue to give pensions to people without children, and those who have children should ask their children and not government if they need money".

Another reason not to have kids.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back