Running Win XP/98/95 games on windows 8/10

llama de lrey

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
So I am looking at some 17 year old computer games on Amazon that I would like to buy, but the problem is I have a new PC running windows 10. I'm specifically looking at the original Rainbow Six games, and they are meant to run on Windows 98-XP. I have read about the "compatibility mode" that can be used to run games meant for a 32 bit OS (such as XP, 98, etc) on a 64 bit OS (such as windows 10, 8) but I am leery of buying games that I won't be able to use. Has anyone here successfully accomplished this or can shed any light on the issue?

Compatability mode is pretty hit and miss. Almost anything from the pre-windows era can be run via dosbox. With early Windows games, a virtual machine might be a solution, but I've never tried to use one.

People make patches for certain games so you may be in luck, i can still run most of the old C+C games on 8.1.

Might be worth looking into it before buying the games. Or maybe look into VM's.

Most games worth playing have a patch or some other work around. Just try googling whatever game you are interested in, someone's probably playing it.

If Compatibility Mode doesn't work...

Do you have a Windows XP cd/dvd? If so, download virtualbox (freeware), install Windows XP and just run it off of that. Since they are older games that don't require many resources, you'll just have to have enough spare memory to run the hypervisor and the OS within it.

Ah man the original Rainbow Six games were incredible. I'd love to play those again.

Ok I just tried to re-install Rainbow 6:3 on windows 10, and even that won't work.

Windows 10 is the worst POS I have encountered in 25 years of PC use.

I just spent $140 removing viruses and spyware that I got on my PC since I installed windows 10, I am a little leery of trying out any programs that might muck my PC up again... If only I could just buy a cheap PC running windows 98 for $10 just to play these games...

I agree. I can't stand the new windows.

I loved playing Command and Conquer Zero hour and Age of Mythology and I'm actually just going to buy an older laptop with XP already on it. Won't cost me much and I don't do anything too crazy so it would suffice for me. I just dislike all the preloaded garbage with the newer windows.

Ok I just tried to re-install Rainbow 6:3 on windows 10, and even that won't work.

I just spent $140 removing viruses and spyware that I got on my PC since I installed windows 10, I am a little leery of trying out any programs that might muck my PC up again... If only I could just buy a cheap PC running windows 98 for $10 just to play these games...

Dear lord, do you have virus protection?
Amazon:Webroot

Is one of the best out there and uses 1% cpu resources, if for some reason you want more protection, you already get microsoft security essentials or disable that and use avast free instead. (you cannot run 2 antivirus at the same time, but webroot will allow webroot + 1 other antivirus)

I buy the yearly subscription for my family members every year, 20bucks for 3 computers is a godsend, i haven't had to do "tech support" for family members for almost 6 years, since.

No offense but viruses or malware don't magically appear because you upgrade to a new OS. You clicked something or installed something you shouldn't have.

Some places like GOG have older games that automatically run in programs like dosbox. You may want to check it out.

Back