[rumour] fedor vs arona @ dec japan

Arona looked small enough to be a lighweight the last time I saw him.

I've read on VK (Russian Facebook) he's said he'll be fighting Randleman, so add that to the rumor mill.

Wasn't keen on Arona but Randleman would be worse if that is the case.

Arona would be a bad matchup for Fedor so I don't think they gonna give him Arona

Off memory wasn't he recently looking to come back in BJJ rather than MMA?

Okay so I just heard he's fighting Mark Coleman, still a fun fight but will end too quickly I bet.

Wish they got Igor Vovchanchyn.

Let's see.

Arona lost 3 of his last 4 fights in Pride

He came back in 2009 and beat Marvin Eastman by decision in a very underwhelming performance.

So Fedor might face a surfer whose had one fight in the last 8 years. Real quality opponent there.

I'll just write this as a general statment regarding this fight and regarding Fedor going to Japan.

Fedor going to Japan is great news, for MMA outside of the UFC. However, him going to Japan basically means he will be facing guys from flyweight division all the way up to superheavyweight with the skill level going from mediocre to just above shitty, varying from fighter to fighter. Sak and Coker can use that freakshow factor and push their nuPRIDE and Bellator brands to the UFC crowd. I'm willing to be that once he fights out his 2 fight deal, once again the rumors of "Fedor is tots signing with UFC will start" with Fedor ultimately resigning with nuPRIDE. Him saying "I want to fight the strongest/best fighters in the world" was just a pipe dream. He will never fight for the UFC because he demands to much and Dana is willing to offer just about under the "too much" level of money.

Fedor/Arona2 wouldn't exactly surprise me. Speri was talking about being contacted by people saying they represent Arona who is allegedly making a comeback. Also, it makes perfect sense that Fedor fight someone of that calibar for his first fight given the lack of free heavyweights with name value.

Arona hasn't fought regularly in almost a decade. Hasn't fought at all in 6 years.

Let the can crushing accusations begin.

It's been three-and-a-half years since Fedor last fought. I'm just gonna repeat that: it's been three-and-a-half years since Fedor last fought. It's very dangerous to go up against an elite, dangerous top-20 fighter, like Sergei Kharitonov, after that long a layoff. Even Kongo wouldn't be a good fight just because of that. Fighting in that kind of situation has, historically, had a very high probability of failure, throughout all combat sports, and you can count the number of times a fighter's successfully done that in the last 15-years on one hand. You either take a fight against a low-mid level fighter or a fighter who's also coming off of a long layoff.
Eric Prindle would be a good fight considering this. He's a gigantic, muscle-bound American boxer, so the Japanese would like him, he's got power and experience, so Fedor wouldn't be able to overlook him, he's a recent name and coming off a win, so it'd bring some attention, and he'd be a good measuring stick for Fedor (he'll either dominate him worse than the Polar Bear and Colossus did combined, he'll win a relatively-lackluster decision-- ala the Jeff Monson fight-- showing that he needed to shake off the ring-rust, or he'll lose in a gigantic upset, showing a fight with Receipt or Kharitonov would probably not have been better matchups.) It's the same thing with Arona. Randleman wouldn't be great-- if they were gonna give Fedor a name-gimme, they could pick a much better one than Randleman (it'd be better to pull TK outta retirement for the rubber match, or some pro wrestlers.) A lotta the fans wouldn't like it cuz' it's not a high-ranking matchup, but this's the thing to do right now.

Maybe you should actually watch that fight instead of going straight to fight finder. It's debated even today that Arona beat Fedor.

Nah, it's not really debatable. I was a supporter of RINGS before you were even aware of MMA.

It was a pretty close fight and it isn't really all that ridiculous to say Arona won.

Rings rules scored strikes and submission attempts >>> positional control (if they even scored position at all.) Fedor beat Arona because of that. Rings rules also disallowed ground strikes to the head, so Fedor wasn't allowed to use his full arsenal of legendary ground 'n pound. The only way Arona would've won is if you retroactively changed the scoring system to the Unified Ruleset, but even that that works both ways; if you use the Pride or ONE system and scored the fight as a whole, Fedor could've won due to his performance in the third round.
It's like how people talk about the Hansen-Gomi decision, but nobody gets (or tries to get-) that Shooto scoring-- especially back then-- considered the guard to be a neutral position if you didn't do anything with it. They didn't consider being on top automatically winning, like today.

Let's see.

Arona lost 3 of his last 4 fights in Pride

He came back in 2009 and beat Marvin Eastman by decision in a very underwhelming performance.

So Fedor might face a surfer whose had one fight in the last 8 years. Real quality opponent there.

Arona tore his ACL in the first round of his fight with Eastman.

He will never fight for the UFC because he demands to much and Dana is willing to offer just about under the "too much" level of money.

Knowing your worth =/= asking for too much, and lowballing people =/= not giving into unreasonable demands.

What if Arona beats him!?!?

I hope whoever he fights does beat him, I'm bitter about him saying he wants to fight the best then completely contradicting that. I'm hoping Kimbo knocks him out cold.

It's been three-and-a-half years since Fedor last fought. I'm just gonna repeat that: it's been three-and-a-half years since Fedor last fought. It's very dangerous to go up against an elite, dangerous top-20 fighter, like Sergei Kharitonov, after that long a layoff. Even Kongo wouldn't be a good fight .

Stop. Just stop. There's no justification for Arona as an opponent. Again, he's fought one time in the last 8 years, and had a losing record during his last 5 fights (2005-2009). His layoff and inactivity are much worse than Fedor's.

If Fedor can't handle a 40-year old Kongo who recently lost to a LHW, then maybe he shouldn't have come back from retirement.

Terrible, what is even the point?

Back