frank mir

> quinton jackson vs roy nelson > and new bellator hw champ roy nelson
matt mitrione
roy nelson
> roy nelson vs fedor emelianenko
ryan bader
fedor

I dislike Mo vs Bader.

If Mo wins he should get the belt. Would be dumb if Mo wins and Bader gets to remain champ.

If Bader wins its a moot point though.

Fedor is the GOAT but I do not share your optimism. In a ring, I might, even at this point, but in a cage at this point in his career, I think he loses to almost everybody. He no longer grapples and just sloppily head hunts. It is such a shame too, because he would string things together better than any fighter I have ever seen not named Georges St Pierre.

Ehh he went against mitrione/maldonado against their strengths.. bad gameplans and on receiving end of unlucky punches, but still he hasn't given up his edge yet. if you compare fedor to rampage, atleast he has no hesitation, still aggressive.

Mir over Fedor
Mo over Bader
Mitrione over Nelson
Chael over *fatpage-
Rampage over Chael

If Nelson can take Mittrione out again, he might finally be champ!
Would be something to behold.

That would be really funny and kind of a middle finger to Rampage to give him Sonnen round 1, Rampage wants to stand and bang and they give him the one guy guaranteed not to stand and bang.

Well I guess bellator is going under. Coker has not had much success with HW tourny's. Heck one bankrupted his last company.

Yea true only one of them ran a company out of business.
What makes you feel so loyal to bash Coker to defend Dana?
I don’t recall Strikeforce going bankrupt or going out of business but maybe I’m not remembering everything beyond Zuffa purchasing it then closing it down.

It will be interesting if they go for the most competitive first round, largest mismatches, or biggest ratings.
It is entertainment so there has to be somewhat of an agenda in their decisions. I envy the matchmaker.

I don’t recall Strikeforce going bankrupt or going out of business but maybe I’m not remembering everything beyond Zuffa purchasing it then closing it down.
Here is the short version of strikeforce failing.
1. Strikeforce had investors who bankrolled it as it was not financially viable on its own (The owners of the sharks).
2. Strikeforce had a history of dramatically overpaying guys such as Hendo and fedor along with Fedor's entourage.
3. The HW GP was very expensive to run especially as fedor cost literal millions and many others had 6 figure contracts.
4. HW GP had decent ratings, but not earth shattering.
5. In addition Strikeforce had lost its CBS contract because of the 209/Mayhem incident (which strikeforce allowed to happen, they let Mayhem in the cage)
6. The investors lost so much money after the HW GP they pulled the plug and sold to the UFC.
I might have missed a few details but that is the gist of it. Overpaid for talent, had so-so ratings, ran a horrible GP and went effectively upside down.

For the record I am much more interested in the business side of MMA than anything else. Its hard to argue with the UFC's success in that field. I am not normal in that aspect but I enjoy studying various businesses.

Ariel says:

It’s not 100% finalized just yet, but these are the matchups as of right now for the Bellator HW tourney:

Rampage vs. Sonnen
Mitrione vs. Nelson
Bader vs. Lawal
Fedor vs. Mir (previously reported)

Dates TBD, but that would be the order with a fight every month from Jan-April.

Here is the short version of strikeforce failing.
1. Strikeforce had investors who bankrolled it as it was not financially viable on its own (The owners of the sharks).
2. Strikeforce had a history of dramatically overpaying guys such as Hendo and fedor along with Fedor's entourage.
3. The HW GP was very expensive to run especially as fedor cost literal millions and many others had 6 figure contracts.
4. HW GP had decent ratings, but not earth shattering.
5. In addition Strikeforce had lost its CBS contract because of the 209/Mayhem incident (which strikeforce allowed to happen, they let Mayhem in the cage)
6. The investors lost so much money after the HW GP they pulled the plug and sold to the UFC.
I might have missed a few details but that is the gist of it. Overpaid for talent, had so-so ratings, ran a horrible GP and went effectively upside down.

I believe Zuffa bought SF in 2011 but the HW GP ended in 2012 so it wasn't the GP's fault that they sold it

Meathead vs Mir in finals

I'm actually digging this Grand Prix. So what if some of them are old. I think it's cool all of these guys are competing at heavyweight

Meathead vs Mir in finals
Haven't put much thought into it but I'm leaning toward youth. Isn't Bader quite a bit younger than everyone else?

Also I see Chael smothering Rampage in the opening round.

But how will the casuals know they are watching Bellator????

I believe Zuffa bought SF in 2011 but the HW GP ended in 2012 so it wasn't the GP's fault that they sold it
Yea you are correct negotiations actually started before the GP. I just read that but the other points still stand it was the high cost of talent (especially Fedor) along with the lack of views once they lost the CBS contract. Strikeforce was never financially viable on its on and once the investors felt the heat they pulled out.

My match-making...

BELLATOR 2018 OPENWEIGHT GP
Fedor - Frank Mir
Rampage - Mitrione
Sonnen - Ryan Bader
Roy Neson - Mo Lawal

Alt Bouts:
Sergei Kharitonov - Bobby Lashley
Cheick Kongo - Justin Wren​

Back