Rumor: Eddie Alvarez and ONE Championship seems to be getting close to a deal

I know must people on here will only remember the Conor fight or the Poirer stuff, but, Eddie Alvarez has a legacy at the LW division that is almost unmatched. He may have never been the CLEAR #1 ever at any point at LW, but, to have had championships in every org he’s been in, to have remained at the highest levels of the sport for over a decade is something truly incredible.

The longevity of him and Frankie over there at Mark Henry’s is remarkable and I don’t think there are any other fighters aside from those that we call “GOATS” that have had that kind of staying power in the sport.

A remarkable fighter regardless and if he ends up in One, good for him. His career is coming to a close and there aren’t many people who deserve big paydays more than he does. He brings it every fuckin fight.
I actually respect this the most in the game, longevity, diversity of career and opponents, staying at the top through out.

It's the polka dot Jersey of mma.

Currently I believe Hendo has it

I actually respect this the most in the game, longevity, diversity of career and opponents, staying at the top through out.

It's the polka dot Jersey of mma.

Currently I believe Hendo has it

Very much agree with this post

Bye Felicia
Rashad was right about him embarassing the lw division losing to canner

Given ONE’s stricter weight-cut policy, would he fight at 170lb or even higher?

Your analysis is very very disingenuous. You have a slanted bias in your descriptions. "Had to slug it out and finally finish Gatheje". ....he dominated every round and then knocked him out. The split vs Gil was a joke, 13 of 13 media outlets had it a clear 29-28. One blind judge gave it to Gil. Same with the Pettis fight, no clue how that was a split.

Furthermore he won RD 1 vs Poirier, was dominating RD 2 in mount and Dustin received a bullshit standup that lead to Eddie getting kneed in the dick then TKOd after a nice flurry from Dustin.

We're a bullshit standup from Eddie fighting Nate (easy win for Eddie) for #1 contender. And I like Eddie's chances vs Khabib

He's without a doubt still a top 5 LW

I don't think this can be said any better. This is a great post and I honestly wish people would put bias out of the way when analyzing fighters.
The standup shouldn't have occured IMO, as it was to the shoulder and at most it deserved a break in action and Eddie to be verbally warned not to do it again.
Eddie matches up great with most of the LW's. Probably never going to touch UFC gold again unless some short-notice fight where the contender pulls out and Eddie shocks the world.

Wat...

Shouldn't you want high level fighters in the one org so we get to see great high quality fights?!
Not necessarily. When all of the "top fighters" are under one roof it prevents most "fans" from taking most anyone else seriously. When the fighters are spread around a bit, you understand that there are fighters outside of the UFC who are elite. Like Koreshkov and Chandler in Bellator, whooping up on Bendo, who was a top fighter and former champ in the UFC. When we see things like that, it makes the sport better.

And, in reality, the "best under one roof" thing isn't as cut and dry as the UFC would want people to believe. Bellator (several), RIZIN (Horiguchi, Jiri Prochazka), and ONE (Askren, Bibi Fernandes) all have/have had fighters who would likely be top fighters in the UFC (in Bellator's case, several fighters were), and aside from the very very top of the heap, the UFC has more mediocre talent than they let on. When top fighters leave the UFC and go elsewhere, the situation can make new stars in other orgs and prove that there is talent all around, which is better for everyone.

In my opinion...

Good for him, I could not standing him after he became champ and I'm glad he got brutalize by Dustin Poirier twice but it's good he will make good money in ONE and will also add another prestigious MMA belt to his accolades

The UFC letting top fighters go little by little..smh

Meanwhile they pump money into losing endeavors like wmma..
Just cross your fucking fingers that douchebag Logan Paul isn't next. Fuck if they pay CM Punk that much money to fight I bet someone in WME thinks Logan's worth a go.

Until the UFC starts offering pensions, he should go to wherever he gets paid the most.

lBmIzB4.png

It worked for Ben Askren.
Financially you're right 100 percent it worked out for him but man when he starts talking like he's one of the best ever after crushing cans in One kinda makes me wish he'd just shut the fuck up. Guy may have one of if not the most padded records in mma history.

Financially you're right 100 percent it worked out for him but man when he starts talking like he's one of the best ever after crushing cans in One kinda makes me wish he'd just shut the fuck up. Guy may have one of if not the most padded records in mma history.

Well, if that's the issue then Dana White is to blame. Dana didn't want him in the UFC.

<Fedor23>

I honestly hope the UFC loses every star they have to bellator. They need to be brought down a notch.

Eddie was so scared to fight Conor, lol fuck him. He is the reason so many Conor nut huggers are on here.

Signing of Eddie will elevate ONE as one of the top mma promotions, as a serious competitor to UFC and Bellator.

Unlike KSW and Rizin, which a believe not interested in competition.

Signing of Eddie will elevate ONE as one of the top mma promotions, as a serious competitor to UFC and Bellator.

Unlike KSW and Rizin, which a believe not interested in competition.
You're right, neither KSW nor Rizin are really interested in competing with other organizations right now, each for their own reasons.

KSW has the Polish home market cornered so well, that they don't need to try to compete with anyone. They could never leave Poland again, and they'd be just fine, as long as they keep the Polish fans happy.

Rizin isn't even financially solvent. They're living and dying by their current TV ratings, and they have yet to get the type of ratings they desire.

Back