Rumor: Eddie Alvarez and ONE Championship seems to be getting close to a deal

New scenery and a bigger paycheck not bad way to top off a career.

One puts on great events and is growing. Eddie would be a solid addition, hope they get him.

He is coming towards the end of his career, so it would not be a huge loss.

I have no idea why any MMA fighter who still has some relevance, would even consider signing with ONE.

Who the fuck do they have on their roster at Eddie's weight that provide even a mildly interesting matchup?

Good pay, easy fights, no CTE.

Seems like a good place for fighters like Eddie & aging fighters like Shogun.

That is true but we get situations when fighters like Akren are lone wolves in shit orgs. Their career is wasted. It's all well and good saying it spreads the competition but Bellator is the only org that has been able to do that effectively. In saying that I still think fighters like Rory, Mousasi and co. would be better off coming back. We save Rory dismantle Woodley and I'd like to see Mousasi fight Whittaker.

Fighters like Eddie go to get a paycheck but they retire before the org grows and we are back at square one again.
Askren was a free agent for years. He wasn’t signed because the UFC is fucking cheap and stupid. You got a problem take it up with your almighty UFC. That’s not a market problem.

I like Alvarez, he's proven himself a top 5 fighter, but exploring his options to get paid as best he can at this point in his career is fine. Actually think One FC would benefit and I like when top fighters go to smaller orgs as they can build themselves up. More strong orgs in MMA = good

I have no idea why any MMA fighter who still has some relevance, would even consider signing with ONE.

Who the fuck do they have on their roster at Eddie's weight that provide even a mildly interesting matchup?

That’s the point though, Eddie has no relevance at all anymore.

Good. With the ONE FC app to watch live for free, hopefully we can watch Shinya Aoki whoop his ass again.

If he wins the championship over there, does that make him champ in more organizations than anyone else?

That's some nice legacy there

I know must people on here will only remember the Conor fight or the Poirer stuff, but, Eddie Alvarez has a legacy at the LW division that is almost unmatched. He may have never been the CLEAR #1 ever at any point at LW, but, to have had championships in every org he’s been in, to have remained at the highest levels of the sport for over a decade is something truly incredible.

The longevity of him and Frankie over there at Mark Henry’s is remarkable and I don’t think there are any other fighters aside from those that we call “GOATS” that have had that kind of staying power in the sport.

A remarkable fighter regardless and if he ends up in One, good for him. His career is coming to a close and there aren’t many people who deserve big paydays more than he does. He brings it every fuckin fight.

Good. With the ONE FC app to watch live for free, hopefully we can watch Shinya Aoki whoop his ass again.

Or him destroy Shinya like he did in the rematch (and would most likely do now)

So Eddie went from a world destroyer that Conor took down to One championship fighter in less than 3 fights.

Or him destroy Shinya like he did in the rematch (and would most likely do now)
Eddie hasn't looked great lately and Shinya has since had a lot more time to refine his overall game at Evolve. I'm guessing he learned he needs to get it to the ground ASAP.

Hopefully the UFC pays him what he wants. Unlikely though.

Damn , you sound bitter . Did Eddie fuck your girl or something?

He really rubbed me the wrong way with the Poirier fights and all the bullshit he said in the aftermath. I can see how I might come off bitter, but I genuinely just think he's an unlikable guy and a dirty fighter. He isn't entertaining enough to make up for his shortcomings. That's all.

Good for him. Get a comfortable contract to retire on. He made his appearance at the UFC for a point in his career like he deserved, managed to capture the title so all things considered it worked out ok for him. Now he can take some fun fights, and make some money off sponsors to retire on.

Back