Royce ken 3 was disappointing

Ken is and was the Frank Trigg of first generation UFC fighters.

Well his only significant win streak, which lasted all of 13 months, was in an era in which hardly any of his opponents had a ground game. Kimo knew just a little grappling and gave Royce the scare of his life.

Kimo also outweighed him by a massive amount.

Ken is and was the Frank Trigg of first generation UFC fighters.

Huh?

Ken couldn't use his strength advantage or his nasty leglocks.

Well his only significant win streak, which lasted all of 13 months, was in an era in which hardly any of his opponents had a ground game. Kimo knew just a little grappling and gave Royce the scare of his life.

I would hold quality of wins and amount of wins in more importance than length of reign. I'm not going to hold it against a guy if he can fight and win a lot. At the time Royce was beating all the guys who mattered. Kimo gave him a scare but still got subbed in like 5 minutes.

I would hold quality of wins and amount of wins in more importance than length of reign. I'm not going to hold it against a guy if he can fight and win a lot. At the time Royce was beating all the guys who mattered. Kimo gave him a scare but still got subbed in like 5 minutes.
^^ This.
Its the same thing people do with Fedor, you shouldn't judge a fighter by the standards of a different era of the sport.

I know ken is shot but he's ruined his legacy completely now

Please stay retired we all seen ken va Royce in primes

FairPlay to Royce though still in shape and badass

I was pissed. I'm pretty sure Ken could whoop his ass 9 times out of 10, but Royce purposely threw that knee to the groin. If there were ball shots allowed Shamrock would have taken that into account. I'm probably alone on this, but I would still like to see a Ken Royce 4.

^^ This.
Its the same thing people do with Fedor, you shouldn't judge a fighter by the standards of a different era of the sport.

Yup. You just judge how they handled the top fighters of their era and Royce handled them well. Finishing dudes twice his size and such.

No, Art Jimmerson, Ichihara, DeLucia (who did improve later), 50-year old Ron van Clief, etc. didn't matter. Shamrock, Severn and Kimo were his only significant wins.

While the NHB scene was new, they could've brought in Ruas (or other Luta Livre fighters from Brazil), Oleg, other Pancrase fighters like Suzuki, Funaki, Bas, etc. The overall quality of wins (i.e., mostly against guys with zero ground game) wasn't that impressive. They could have really tested Royce, but Rorian and Co. were more interested in marketing GJJ.

No, Art Jimmerson, Ichihara, DeLucia (who did improve later), 50-year old Ron van Clief, etc. didn't matter. Shamrock, Severn and Kimo were his only significant wins.

While the NHB scene was new, they could've brought in Ruas (or other Luta Livre fighters from Brazil), Oleg, other Pancrase fighters like Suzuki, Funaki, Bas, etc. The overall quality of wins (i.e., mostly against guys with zero ground game) wasn't that impressive. They could have really tested Royce, but Rorian and Co. were more interested in marketing GJJ.

Had nothing to do with Rorian and Co. And yeah it would have been nice if more of the guys well quality but those were the guys around. He subbed Severn who later fought for the title. He subbed Shamrock in like 2 minutes and got a draw with him later. Subbed Kimo who was way bigger than him and actually had a bit of a ground game. And overall just beat some big dudes who were training hard regardless of their lack of BJJ knowledge.

Had nothing to do with Rorian and Co. And yeah it would have been nice if more of the guys well quality but those were the guys around. He subbed Severn who later fought for the title. He subbed Shamrock in like 2 minutes and got a draw with him later. Subbed Kimo who was way bigger than him and actually had a bit of a ground game. And overall just beat some big dudes who were training hard regardless of their lack of BJJ knowledge.

I've followed MMA (then NHB) since the beginning. Rorian (called "Whorian" on the early forums for a reason) had much to do with it. He worked hand-in-hand with Art Davie, who knew nothing about the fighting aspect. The early UFCs were largely a marketing ploy for the Gracies. Fortunately this changed pretty quickly when the competition quickly improved and fighters caught on. Again. Royce's win streak only lasted 13 months. After that, things got more interesting.

I feel properly chastised by mkt; can't believe I fell into the UFC being the start of MMA. I know better damn it.

I've followed MMA (then NHB) since the beginning. Rorian (called "Whorian" on the early forums for a reason) had much to do with it. He worked hand-in-hand with Art Davie, who knew nothing about the fighting aspect. The early UFCs were largely a marketing ploy for the Gracies. Fortunately this changed pretty quickly when the competition quickly improved and fighters caught on. Again. Royce's win streak only lasted 13 months. After that, things got more interesting.

Yeah cuz more guys learned the ground game.

Kimo also outweighed him by a massive amount.

Huh?

Even more in first fight

Ken held his own . Did vs Severn who was 260 Greco master in clinch
Ken has always been a pro wrestler first and a blanket second, not sure when he had a fight, I thought Frank was the fighter in the family.

Look at kens wins and say he's a blanket

Finish rate is sick

Ken taught frank and was better prime for prime

I can't see how frank beats ken in their primes

I was pissed. I'm pretty sure Ken could whoop his ass 9 times out of 10, but Royce purposely threw that knee to the groin. If there were ball shots allowed Shamrock would have taken that into account. I'm probably alone on this, but I would still like to see a Ken Royce 4.
Ken would win

Royce low blow was dirty and he meant it

He's been dirty before

If they rolled on the floor ken would own him again
In any of their 3 fights, when did Ken own him on the ground? He stuffed Royce's takedown with ease in the first fight, but Royce didn't care. 90% of the damage in the 2nd fight was done with the big right hand on the feet.

Do any of these early forums still exist? Even if only via the Wayback Machine? Could you post links?

Ken would win

Royce low blow was dirty and he meant it

He's been dirty before

Such as?

Back