Royce Gracie Seminar

jmugza11

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Was pretty weak... learned some BS "self-defense" and barely did any BJJ... am I a fool for expecting anything different?

I've done two, was pretty interesting the first time but was somewhat disappointed that the second time we did pretty much exactly the same thing as the first, and from the sound of it he did the same thing at yours.

I did get a pair of UFC gloves signed after the second one though, so it wasn't a total bust.

Was pretty weak... learned some BS "self-defense" and barely did any BJJ... am I a fool for expecting anything different?

Yes, because everyone knows that Royce teaches primarily self defense techniques at seminars.

You're also a fool for characterizing what Royce Gracie teaches you as "not BJJ." What then, did he teach you, if not his family's art?

I've heard nothing but poor reviews from Royce seminars. Sorry bro

Gracie jiu-jitsu is actually mainly self defense focused. The whole competition, and pulling guard instead of take downs crap came a lot later after Gjj was already popularized in the ufc. Maybe you could've asked him to sign your favorite tap out shirt and sold it on ebay to reclaim your "wasted" money?

Gracie jiu-jitsu is actually mainly self defense focused. The whole competition, and pulling guard instead of take downs crap came a lot later after Gjj was already popularized in the ufc. Maybe you could've asked him to sign your favorite tap out shirt and sold it on ebay to reclaim your "wasted" money?

You don't say!

Tell me more about these Gracies and their magical self-defense!

I'm not surprised. Royler does mostly self defence stuff too. I go to hear the storys they tell lol.

I have heard a couple people complain that is not modern enough. To each his own, There are plenty of guys out there doing "cutting edge" techniques at seminars. read some reviews before you spend your money just like everything else.

Did you at least get a blue belt out of it?

I'm not surprised. Royler does mostly self defence stuff too. I go to hear the storys they tell lol.

When Royler came to our place, he didn't do any self defense stuff. He did sweeps mostly, and a darce choke from under side control.

I think what TS is talking about is the (stupid IMO) self defense stuff like defending a two handed choke while standing.

I've been to two Royce seminars and overall they were really cool experiences. He didnt do any self-defense stuff but at the first one we spent a half hour going over "takedowns from the knees." Royce felt that it was a good way to practice takedowns with a reduced risk of injury; it was a good way to get matburn on the top of my feet, but in practice I usually pull guard at the start of a roll unless the other person does and then I just work passing. At the second seminar he focused a lot on ankle locks and gave a lot of details that improved my technique with them.

He did roll with a bunch of the folks at the seminar and overall its just cool to have met Royce Gracie and listened to him teach.

before claiming competition came "after the gracies" don

When Royler came to our place, he didn't do any self defense stuff. He did sweeps mostly, and a darce choke from under side control.

I think what TS is talking about is the (stupid IMO) self defense stuff like defending a two handed choke while standing.

Well I guess it depend on his mood because most of the time he does them. Royler came 2 times to my gym (My teacher is under him) and showed some and from hearing other ppl experience too he very often teach a couples self defense moves.

It seem he really like to teach that darce choke from under side mount. I guess it bring the OoooOooOh and Aaaaaaaaaaaaah. One guy at my gym is actually good at this move now and if you "sleep" on top side he will get you.

Did you at least get a blue belt out of it?

Not funny story ... We had a talented (but not blue belt YET) teammate that was "given" his blue at a Royce seminar, he was upset that it wouldn't be accepted as it was out of association (RMNU) and he ended up quitting ... Lose lose situation

Not funny story ... We had a talented (but not blue belt YET) teammate that was "given" his blue at a Royce seminar, he was upset that it wouldn't be accepted as it was out of association (RMNU) and he ended up quitting ... Lose lose situation

Damn, that sucks. F**king politics. I would say if Royce gives you a blue it should be recognized.

I went to one about a month ago. I actually enjoyed it, we learnt some basic self defence and some advanced techniques.

I did prefer a seminar with Bustamante over Royce's though. Mainly because I do BJJ for the "sport" (if you will) aspect.

Anyone want to fill me in on the Royce and blue belts at seminars thing?

I did one with him a few weeks ago.

It was a small group and we are all MMA guys so the seminar was MMA focused and I found it really good.

I loved the line "Why are you trying to submit him? punch him in the face".

He wore a Gi but everything we did was MMA focused and I think appplicable to MMA.
That said if he did do BJJ stuff I would have been disappointed.

And I am thinking seeing its Royce I would expect a MMA or self defence style, because he is the MMA Gracie.

I went to one about a month ago. I actually enjoyed it, we learnt some basic self defence and some advanced techniques.

I did prefer a seminar with Bustamante over Royce's though. Mainly because I do BJJ for the "sport" (if you will) aspect.

Anyone want to fill me in on the Royce and blue belts at seminars thing?

Something about giving them without really knowing the student or his game and that if it's not from the students instructor it's not legit. I can see why their is an argument but who is anybody to question Royce if he thinks they deserve it ?

Back