International Royal Navy to lose missiles and be left only with gun

GhostZ06

Steel Belt
@Steel
Reaction score
Royal Navy warships will be left without anti-ship missiles and be forced to rely on naval guns because of cost-cutting, the Ministry of Defence has admitted.

The Navy’s Harpoon missiles will retire from the fleet’s frigates and destroyers in 2018 without a replacement, while there will also be a two year gap without helicopter-launched anti-shipping missiles.

Naval sources said the decision was “like Nelson deciding to get rid of his cannons and go back to muskets” and one senior former officer said warships would "no longer be able to go toe-to-toe with the Chinese or Russians".
Harpoon missiles are unlikely to be replaced for up to a decade, naval sources said, leaving warships armed only with their 4.5in Mk 8 guns for anti-ship warfare. Helicopter-launched Sea Skua missiles are also going out of service next year and the replacement Sea Venom missileto be carried by Wildcat helicopters will not arrive until late 2020.

One Naval source said: “We will be losing our missile capability in total for two years. We will still have the gun, but the range of that is about 17 miles, compared to Harpoon, which is about 80 miles”.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...nti-ship-missiles-and-be-left-only-with-guns/

the british navy has offically went full retard. They have no carriers, and no they haven no long range missiles.

And currently has no funded program for a Harpoon replacement...who in there right mind thought that was a smart idea?

Do you have any insight I to why this decision was made Ghost? Is it just strictly cost cutting?

This is part of the reason Donald Trump has been threatening NATO members. If there's ever a large conflict is Europe, every other NATO country will be begging the USA to cover their ass. Cause they won't be able to fight it themselves.

its because,by law,our government gives away .7 of our gdp,while awarding themselves 10% pay rises and healthy expenses while cutting the wages of public sector workers like the prison officers. and taking in hundreds of thousands of foreigners and homing them.

its because,by law,our government gives away .7 of our gdp,while awarding themselves 10% pay rises and healthy expenses while cutting the wages of public sector workers like the prison officers. and taking in hundreds of thousands of foreigners and homing them.

What does the .7 refer to?

That's sad.
You motherfuckers used to the boss of the open waters....

Samuel_Atkins_-_A_squadron_of_the_royal_navy_running_down.jpg

And people wonder why Trump is pissed at NATO for not carrying it's share of the water. Frankly, speaking as a Brit, this is fucking embarrassing:oops:

Never thought I'd see that day when the Finnish Navy (a.k.a a couple of sailors and fishing boats) could probably give the mighty Royal Navy a go.

Might as well retire them at that point, rather than to keep employing them as a reminder of how badly things have turned out.

Why bother to have a navy at all at this point ?

Yall dont gotta spend like us on it but at least have a navy that can rock and roll if needs be.

I hate to sound like Trump or a republican but its really annoying that the rest of the west doesnt spend dick on its military and you know in the back of they minds is the thought if the shits hits the fan the US has it .

I read the op, thought about it, and nope, still doesn't make sense to me. Unless they have a secret railgun design we don't know about, but even then, no.

I imagine this is Putin's reaction to this news:

1485.gif

Do you have any insight I to why this decision was made Ghost? Is it just strictly cost cutting?

i..i have no idea....

Even if they are cutting coast....why would even do this?

the navy is one of the biggest things the British pride themselves in.....soo this is beyond insane.

Probably more beuraratic nonsense or maybe for a press release so someone can say "we are cutting costs!"

John_Cleveley_the_Elder,_The_Royal_George_at_Deptford_Showing_the_Launch_of_The_Cambridge_(1757).jpg

i was able to find a picture of a british harbor after the budget cuts

And people wonder why Trump is pissed at NATO for not carrying it's share of the water. Frankly, speaking as a Brit, this is fucking embarrassing:oops:

yeah this one thing you guys are very prideful about. Having some of the most advanced ships and one of the most well trained navys in the world...

who though this was a smart idea.

Back