Roy Moore: last time America was great , was during the slavery era.

All the right wingers talk about letting California go their own away and break off from the country.

I say, let's keep Cali and get rid of places like arkansas and Alabama. Those are two good places to start

You don't see because you aren't looking. Those most likely to not have a photo ID are non-drivers: the elderly and the poor.

The motives behind voter ID laws are to suppress the votes of american who may not have a photo ID. Voter fraud has been studied to death, and it's a non issue.

Everybody does need to prove who they are when they register, that's enough.

The argument that I always ask is "If you need some form of ID to get a Voter ID card, why can't you just use that same form of ID to vote?"

All the right wingers talk about letting California go their own away and break off from the country.

I say, let's keep Cali and get rid of places like arkansas and Alabama. Those are two good places to start

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia (keep ATL), Missouri, Kansas, Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina. They've been lagging our country behind for 150 years.

seems like fake news.

We need a poll. Will he win or won't he? I don't think he does.

Alabama, Arkansas, Georgia (keep ATL), Missouri, Kansas, Ohio, Iowa, Kentucky, Mississippi, Virginia, West Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina. They've been lagging our country behind for 150 years.

Just keep Chapel Hill as a kind of West Berlin situation, airlift supplies in etc. Them good people.

Lol that's so true.

I would've liked if you listed them in alphabetical order tho

Maybe you should actually read about these cases before throwing your two cents in and hastily dismissing the idea that the restrictive voting laws aren't meant to target minorities.

Here's a link to the 4th circuit's ruling that struck down the NC law:

http://www.ca4.uscourts.gov/Opinions/Published/161468.P.pdf

There was ample evidence submitted to the record that the NC Republicans in the state assembly commissioned a study that specifically researched the voting patterns of blacks in the state and that the law was designed to make it more difficult for black voters to turn out. The majority of the court explicitly states this in its opinion.

Additionally, they are called "voter ID" laws for shorthand, but they are not just about ID requirements. They often contain a series of other restrictive elements meant to curb minority voting. For example, in North Carolina, they also got rid of early voting and mail in ballots because a large percentage of blacks in the state preferred to vote before the day of the election due to the fact that it's hard to miss a day of work to stand in line for several hours. Oh and RE standing in a long line: they closed down most polling stations in black neighborhoods to increase the waiting time.

Other states have specifically engaged in not-so-subtle ploys to prevent black voters from acquiring IDs. Back to Alabama. After the state implemented its new restrictive voter ID laws, the governor's office deliberately shut down the most of the DMV offices in the counties that are majority black.

https://www.aclu.org/blog/voting-ri.../alabamas-dmv-shutdown-has-everything-do-race

It's pretty fucking clear what the Republicans have been doing with racialized voter suppression. Any claim to the contrary is rooted in obtuseness. It's also clear that this all started immediately after the Supreme Court gutted the VRA, which blows up your inane argument about how all of the anti-discrimination laws on the books aren't actually needed anymore.

That line of thinking may have merit in this one exceptional and rare case, but overall I would say that the "racialization" of political decisions based on the idea that "low-income, minority race" groups are "suppressed" due to not, for example, bothering to validate themselves through a photo ID, has an inherently racist tone to it. One that America seemingly cannot get over with, partly in due to the legacy of slavery which it has never seemingly been able to rise above (even though other countries, such as mine, have experienced many events of similar caliber or worse, which aren't really seen as a big deal at all).

I mean, some of the European countries were literally putting Jewish people in the ovens yet there is no legislation that is required for Jewish people to be successful, in spite of their historical maltreatment. Other than literally not genociding them and robbing all of their properties, which by the modern man is generally agreed to be a primitive form of behaviour.

The difference in most other countries is that the "racial" perspective is not really taken into account at all, for the most part, and minorities are simply expected to get on board with the decisions that are made with the majority in mind. Which they do. Minorities do adapt to the new rules and engage in the required civic duties if they are expected to. Nobody in their right mind is calculating their decisions based on how legislation might specifically affect white men or black women or Asian trans-genders. The majority of human beings within the nation is what matters, not their particular hue of skin or lower-body equipment. If demanding a photo ID is seen as having a positive effect against voter fraud, then that decision will be made, no questions asked.

Any failures experienced by a particular ethnic minority to engage in their civic duties as others might, are a failure to properly integrate them, not so much a failure to cater to their particular needs.

If, on the other hand, the country decides its politics based on the expected capabilities of the "lowest common denominator", in order to prevent "racial discrimination", then those people will remain low in the totem pole, and condition themselves to accepting such a role. Which is what I would argue has happened with the blacks in America. It's ultimately a racially belittling sentiment that signals a group of people that not as much is to be expected of them. The more you expect of a folk, the more it empowers them.

Unfortunately the American phenomenon of divisive politics is spilling over to the rest of the West, and I see the way their constitution is laid out, as having an impact on it.

Last edited:
https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/7/16748038/roy-moore-slavery-america-great
“I think it was great at the time when families were unitedeven though we had slavery. They cared for one another. People were strong in the families. Our families were strong. Our country had a direction.”
Even though = despite the fact that
So slavery was an undermining factor for America's greatness. But America was still great.

Families and direction were the supporting factors for America's greatness.

Simple reading comprehension.
Moore later added, “The greatness I see was in our culture, not in all our policies. There were problems. We had slavery; we’ve overcome slavery. We’ve had prejudice; we still have prejudice. But we’ve turned the tide on civil rights. And we’ve done a lot of things to bring this country around, and I think we can still make it better.”

Should be clear enough.

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2017/12/7/16748038/roy-moore-slavery-america-great

Even though = despite the fact that
So slavery was an undermining factor for America's greatness. But America was still great.

Families and direction were the supporting factors for America's greatness.

Simple reading comprehension.

Should be clear enough.

It is amazing how people will twist a speech encouraging unity, and admitting America's historical failures in this regard, in order to maliciously rev up their agenda of dividing racial and political lines in order to seize temporary political victories. Something that Moore, for all his faults, was attempting to speak up against. May not have been an eloquent or "politically correct" speech but it seemed to be a heart-felt speech from an "old timer".

The media is amazingly dishonest nowadays. You simply cannot trust them. Everything is politicized.

Last edited:
He is dismissive of it. He thinks the last time America was great was when slavery existed. So he doesn't have an issue with slavery. Doesn't think it was bad.

If a coach said "despite set backs, it was our greatest win," is he being dismissive of the set backs? that they were insignificant? He could say "despite significant set backs, it was our greatest win" and this statement would not contradict the former.

Matter of fact, calling the set backs significant makes the win even greater.

If a coach said "despite set backs, it was our greatest win," is he being dismissive of the set backs? that they were insignificant? He could say "despite significant set backs, it was our greatest win" and this statement would not contradict the former.

The context of the discussion was America's Civil War, which Moore seemed to regard as America's worst low (Americans killing each other), yet also its greatest triumph (purging the society of a great ill).

The idea of "struggle" is inherent in our definition of greatness. Most of ours, anyway. We see the Normandy landings in WW2 as a great feat in history, even though it was a terrible thing to do (people killing people in war). Abolishing slavery was one of America's greatest feats, even though it took a Civil War between Americans to accomplish.

We do not really speak about legislation that was passed without any great difficulties as a "great event", even if its consequences may have been positive to the society.

The Civil Wars, the World Wars, despite being times of great evil, are seen as high-points in history due to how "good" managed to triumph. WW2 is also spoken of as mankind's "finest hour" despite the atrocities involved. I do not see why American Civil War could not be spoken of in the same regard.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/roy-moore-last-time-america-234233620.html

What is it with rightwing Christians and White supremacy. Not the first time Moore has expressed support for White supremacy. The Southern Baptists were noticeably quiet on Civil Rights or downright supportive of segregation. Pat Robertson and Falwell never supported the Civil Rights movement. Christian cultural chauvinism and White supremacy has a strong overlap.

--

Any of you rightwing Christians want to defend Moore here?

At a campaign event earlier this year, an audience member asked Moore for his opinion on when the last time America was "great." Moore responded: "I think it was great at the time when families were united—even though we had slavery—they cared for one another…Our families were strong, our country had a direction."

--

What are the odds he would say the same thing if Whites were ones enslaved.

Somehow I doubt he will lose any support from conservative Alabamians because of his comment; heck they probably support him even more!

Taken out of context in the title of your post, but no doubt it was a dumb thing to say.

Taken out of context in the title of your post, but no doubt it was a dumb thing to say.
Not out of contest, because no matter how 1 spins it, he states America was greatest back when slavery existed, not explicitly because of slavery by family values at the time. But what his apologists ignore is that to think family values was greatest back then, one has to totally ignore the brutal realities for Black families, who were split up, abused, brutalized and sometimes raped. Moore obviously doesn't even consider the condition Black families were under, and only feels for White families.

That's not close to analogous. The "even" doesn't change the fact he totally ignores the condition of Black families during that era, because he specifically states America was greatest at that time due the family values of the time. His statement clearly indicates when he talks about Family Values, he only cares about White family values, not American family values.

Conservatives in general look to the past. The south looks back to the good ol' days of slavery and segregation, while radical Muslims look the good ol' days of the Caliphate. It's like an obese middle aged man who can't stop talking about his high school football team. I get it; it's easier to reminisce about the path than to change. Especially since many agents of change are equally as loony (SJWs).

It's sad because the south and many rural areas have so many good, hard working people with so much potential. Perhaps it's wrong for me to believe in their ability to change? Perhaps that obese 40 year old will never peak past high school?

Back